What exactly is this one? (TDF..) | FerrariChat

What exactly is this one? (TDF..)

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by amenasce, Nov 6, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    Unused 1958 Scaglietti built replacement body on a Pf or GTE chassis... if the description is accurate.

An odd duck to be sure. Wonder what number the chassis carries.

2. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    S/N 0885GT is a 250 GT Boano High Roof Coupe, Ellena that according to Barchetta had a Ford V8 installed in 79 and Family Classics bought it in 2010. The replacement body has the normal headlamp arrangement of a 14 louver TdF so I don't know why they say it was decided to build it with the recessed headlamps with perspex covers. It's a shame that the body, if as described and genuine, wasn't kept for a real 14 louver TdF.

Barchetta info on 0885GT: http://www.barchetta.cc/english/All.Ferraris/Detail/0885GT.250GT.Ellena.htm

3. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
  4. BIRA

BIRA Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007
    Specially as one of them (Ed) has lost forever its original body...and few of them some important parts of their original body...

5. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    So it's an Ellena and not a TDF? They think otherwise.

6. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    That is one big if.

Best wishes, Kare

7. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    #8 JazzyO, Nov 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    There is an Ellena in the Netherlands that has a TdF body on it as well. Can't find the chassis# now as I'm travelling. In the Dutch Ferrari club magazine Gli Amici della Ferrari, there was a large 2-part article on Ellena's in recent months, in which this car was highlighted.

Picture by Wim Kooijman.

Onno
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Beautiful car. There is another tdf on an Ellena body in Hungary.

9. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    In the description, there is no mention of which chassis was used, only that the ENGINE of 0885 was used.

I find the last sentence of this sales fluff to be particularly hilarious.

Onno

10. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Yes, that last sentence is insulting to the intelligence of the reader. We discussed this car on here a few months ago and the barchetta info on 0885 said at the time that it had had the engine of 0695 installed some time previously, so I was wondering where the 0885 engine had gone then as Family Classics were listed as the owner of the car but it didn't have its 0885 engine to use in this mongrel. Now barchetta says that a Ford V8 was installed in 1979. I was confused then, but my head is spinning now, lol!

Discussed here from post 113: http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=375590&page=6

11. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    In late 2003 or early 2004, I met this seller at a local gathering. He was driving a terrible 196 Dino replica that he claimed was "built by the 'FACTORY' in 1961 from original parts" yet was never assigned a chassis number. This should give you some idea of what this man is all about.

Anyway, at the same time, he said he was building a TdF based on an Ellena chassis and was in search of an inside-plug 250 motor and trans to power the thing. My guess is that he eventually came across motor #0885. The chassis number of the donor Ellena (if that's really what it was) is still unknown to me.

Incidentally, in May of 2004 I noticed that this seller (located here in Southern California) was advertising the very real TdF 0931/GT for sale in the Ferrari Market Letter. At the time, however, 0931/GT was sitting in the showroom of Enzo Scandura's Monte-Carlo Royal Motors in Monaco.

12. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    These guys (FCC) do seem to have a penchant for 'nearly real' cars....silver 'gto's and such...and I don't find their 'fluff' to be so much insulting as sadly humorous, and indicative of the times we live in....

Nice avatar upgrade, EW.....

13. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
  14. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I cant move it.

15. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    How much would this be worth? More than an Ellena? Less?

16. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    If the claims made about the body are true I would value it very highly. It belongs on a GENUINE 14 louver Ferrari 250 GT LWB Berlinetta Tour de France that may have a replica body.

17. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    #18 Enigma Racing, Nov 12, 2012
    The front of the rep looks wrong to me. Compare the nose with the Talacrest second series 14 louver car and you can see the difference. The rep is smaller and flatter and less pronounced than usual. The domed roof is less unusual as I have seen many variations on this and later tdf's I have seen. I also found a picture of the interior. The instruments are correctly laid out but are from a later car.

The devil is in the detail and why put polished wheels on a race car ?

Almost as offensive as the badge on the Talacrest car grill

Does anyone know the price ?

18. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    They were open to offers in the 7 figures.

19. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    To be precise. The badge is a nice flat Cavallino Rampante but putting it on the grill of a 14 louver is offensive !

20. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    #22 Enigma Racing, Nov 12, 2012
    Thank you. Interesting but expensive for a rebody even if it is a Scaglietti body. Especially when compared with other cars with a mixture of original parts

For example, Coys and other dealers spent years trying to sell for the same price a 1958 tdf s/n 0899GT without success. The car was listed as distroyed in all books but rebuilt for a "salvaged" chassis and an engine from a PF coupe. The owner campaigned it in numerous historic events including the Mille Miglia but was still unable to get it Classische certified. The car was tarted up with a white stripe and re trimmed but never escaped it's cloudy history and still failed to sell at various auctions.

The car has now disappeared. I looked at the car when it was for sale in France and it looked OK but needed a lot of money to make it correct and there was still no guarantee you would ever get it accepted by the factory as an original car. Correctly priced it would make an interesting project. Furthermore if you did get a Classiche Certificate it would be an interesting debate on originality.

http://www.finecars.cc/en/detail/car/145864/index.html

Kim

21. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Uh-oh. First somebody makes an empty claim of having found a real and unused Scaglietti body that somebody kept in their closet for... er... 50 years. No proof, no photos, no nothing. Just a funky story that makes no sense at all. A little later people start to talk about the car as if it was a real Scaglietti. That's crazy!

22. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Dear Kare

Agreed and I share your scepticism. Emphasis on the word "if" in my statement "if it is a Scaglietti body". Like you, I find it very hard to believe that a complete body has been sitting on a shelf since 1959 and that Ringor or anyone else would order a complete body as an alternative for repairing.

A more plausible theory would be that the body contains some original Scaglietti work. When Scaglietti retired a number of ex employees went off on their own with a stock of original parts. Bacchelli & Villa (ex Scaglietti) and Franco Ferrari (ex Scaglietti and then Fantuzzi) are still going and undertake the body restoration work for Ferrari Classiche as there is no capability in-house.

I have visited Franco Ferrari and his workshop is a treasure trove of original bits and pieces including original bucks and patterns. I purchased a rebodied PF coupe with a body made by Franco Ferrari twenty years ago and the bonnet has a Scaglietti job number on it.

Regards, Kim

23. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Dear Kare

Yet another spare Scaglietti body lying around !!!

"The word’replica’ doesn’t always have to be a negative one. Take this 1964 Ferrari 250 GTO Replica by Allegretti for example. Back in the 1970′s a German Ferrari collector discovered three Scaglietti Series I GTO bodies at the renowned Ferrari coachbuilders Allegretti. The bodies were produced to quickly replace damaged bodies of original 250 GTO’s used in races. One of these Scaglietti spare bodies was used to build a 250 GTO, chassis number 5815GT."

"Essentially, this car is an original Ferrari 250 GTO with a different chassis and engine. With the original Series 1 250 GTO’s being the most coveted collectors car of modern times, this replica is very special indeed."

http://www.gtspirit.com/2012/01/17/for-sale-1964-ferrari-250-gto-replica-by-allegretti/