Will you soon want to buy a Toyota? | Page 10 | FerrariChat

Will you soon want to buy a Toyota?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by NeuroBeaker, Dec 12, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Will you soon want to buy a Toyota (such as the GT86)?

1. Wow! That actually looks like a neat little car - I'm impressed.

2. It looks good, but I have concerns about whether it will actually be a good drive or not.

3. I'm not interested in that particular Toyota.

4. I'm not going to consider any Toyota.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    #226 ScuderiaWithStickPlease, Aug 23, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
    Here's the Car and Driver comparo of the BRZ and FR-S:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/2013-subaru-brz-and-2013-scion-fr-s-a-study-in-comparison-and-contrast-feature

(I added the bold.)

Looks like US cars get different shocks and springs. Also, by not breaking it down into front versus rear, the piece implies that all four corners of the Scion get softer springs and stiffer shocks.

How's that for confusing? (Let's keep in mind that the C&D piece is about four months older than evo's. Either things have changed or US cars are specced differently, perhaps because our bumper height requirements run a little higher.)

2. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    Brand new review:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tMyP9od8JM[/ame]

3. Dazzling

Dazzling Formula 3

Nov 18, 2010
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    Darren
  4. Dazzling

Dazzling Formula 3

Nov 18, 2010
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    Darren
  5. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    :D :D :D

I must confess, I've always loved the look of the Porsche Cayman and had long been contemplating a used one as a daily driver for when I finally escape university. However, the arrival of the GT86 has completely and totally changed my thinking. The more I hear about the Toyota, the more I like the sound of it. Throw in the 5-year warranty in comparison to a relatively expensive-to-maintain and insure Porsche, and the decision looks to be a no-brainer even if you could get the two for exactly the same money. :)

The only thing that concerns me slightly (apart from the difficult decision between Scion and Subaru! :D) is the reports that the brakes are known to fade a little on aggressive driving. My own driving style is extremely hard on the brakes... I have often favoured underpowered cars and enjoyed making them stand on their noses when braking for corners. On my 90bhp MINI, I simultaneously cooked the standard brake pads and boiled my brake fluid, so I uprated the brakes to grooved higher performance brake discs with kevlar pads and changed to uprated DOT 5.1 brake fluid. I actually managed to set that latter setup on fire with vigorous driving: the pads ignited, I boiled the DOT 5.1, and also heat-damaged the rubber brake lines. Now running (further uprated) Brembo pads and using (further uprated) Motul RBF-600 fluid, as well as being a little more cautious on the brakes. I wonder what uprated brake options there are from Scion, Subaru, and Toyota. While aftermarket big brake kit solutions (e.g. 6 pot fronts, 4 pot rears, larger grooved discs, stainless steel brake lines, and performance pads) are out there, I really am not keen to have another modified car, as this has been a nightmare from an insurance point of view for me on my current car: the quotes for the first year of modified car insurance was very cheap, but once the modifications were on the car the insurers jacked the rates up massively. I now pay more to insure just my tiny 90bhp MINI than my parents do to insure all of the following: 1959 Triumph TR3A, a 1997 Porsche 911 Carrera 2 Convertible, 2011 Porsche Cayenne S, and 2003 Ford F350 Dually. Bear in mind that I'm 29, have never had a ticket, and have never been at fault for an accident, so my age and driving record are not putting up the rates. It really isn't cheap to tinker with the mechanical specification of your vehicle, even if the changes seem quite modest.

All the best,
    Andrew.

6. Dazzling

Dazzling Formula 3

Nov 18, 2010
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    Darren
    Keep the mini and buy that 348 when you leave Uni Andrew.....you will do well to overcome their brakes......having said that I have just found out my front rotors (drilled) are cracked on the GTC, but I can't complain as I do give it a good thrashing on track days.

7. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    The likely plan after university is a move from the UK to the States, so keeping the MINI won't be an option: it's not worth enough to justify shipping it over the Atlantic, it'd be a nightmare to import and register in the States, and the steering wheel would be on the wrong side anyway. Also, buying a 348 won't be on the cards for the first few years after starting my career, as I'll need to pay off my student debt first... and there's a fair bit of it to take care of. :eek:

I'll have to look for some sort of fun, reliable daily driver to keep me inexpensively entertained and always able to get to work until I can make the 348 happen. I suspect an entry-level GT86 might well be it... might even be able to get into an ex-demo version with much of the warranty still intact. Something like that seems a sensible plan. :)

All the best,
    Andrew.

8. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Or a Miata!

Someone had to go there.

9. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Nah, don't want a convertible. I have driven a Miata though and they're surprisingly fun - much more of a sporting feel than people give them credit for. :)

All the best,
    Andrew.

10. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    You can get a 2012 Touring model w/retractable hardtop but your idea of finding a demo-model GT86 is a great alternative, good luck.

11. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Thanks Gregg. :)

All the best,
    Andrew.

12. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Pleasure brotha. Once you get here and get settled in you will get to go on alot of test drives in various makes and models (and hookup with Fchat members for your Ferrari fix)which will also be good experience learning all the in's and out's of what it is like to drive in the US, get agressive!!!!

Gregg

ps, We will gladly make room for you here in Texas!

13. Bounce

Bounce Formula 3

Nov 30, 2009
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I still haven't seen a silver one in person or driven one, makes waiting for delivery that one bit harder! either going to be one late XMAS present or an early one.

In the mean time thinking about buying an MX-5 or old MR2

Dazzling, when is your expected delivery date? I haven't read all your posts so not sure what color you chose.

14. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    It may no longer be true but about eight years ago you could fit every human being on the planet in Texas, at a population density that's only a little higher than the one in Paris, ie, the most visited city in the world.

(I posted this elsewhere as part of a challenge to the notion that the planet is overpopulated. A Texan then asked that I not give people any more ideas, that there were more than enough Yanks down there already . . .)

15. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    #240 DriveAfterDark, Aug 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I agree on both points although I am also rather fond of the blue.

Some Texans may feel that way but I am not one of them, my only request is that one comes here legally and pays their taxes just like the rest of us.

17. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    Andrew, if you're worried about brakes both TRD and Brembo have bbks available for the car if you're okay with parting with some coin.

I test drove the Miata hardtop convertible, and while it's fun it's definitely not in the same league of the BRZ. Similar handling, and you can feel that the Miata is a bit lighter, but once you look at the overall (price, size, storage, looks) it's hard to go with the Mazda IMO.

Gregg, you'll have to see the blue in person at the USGP if you make it to Austin.

18. Dazzling

Dazzling Formula 3

Nov 18, 2010
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    Darren
    I havent been given a date yet but I am expecting a tornado grey GT before Xmas

19. Bounce

Bounce Formula 3

Nov 30, 2009
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Here's hoping you get it before Xmas :)

Tornado grey was going to be my next choice, white is too common and I wasn't impressed with the quality of pearl it's nothing like what I expected.

I dropped by a random dealer yesterday who had accidentally left out a freshly detailed Sonic blue GT after close time.

It's a fantastic colour a lot better than in pictures and pretty close to Ferraris TDF only a bit darker.

20. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    Some of Litchfield's first products for the GT86/BRZ are mentioned in evo #175, the one with the McLaren Eggplant on the cover . . . :
    USA cars seem to have different suspension settings than those offered in the UK/EU (see above.) That could mean that Litchfield's springs may not be perfectly matched to USA cars.

21. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    #246 1_can_dream, Oct 5, 2012
  22. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I know, but I modified my MINI to uprate things like the brakes and it became an insurance and servicing nightmare. My insurance premiums get put up year after year despite a lack of incidents or claims on the policy, and very few people here will touch a modified car to work on it. I like the idea of buying a completely OEM car next and keeping it that way.

Looks good. :) Do you have a picture of the previous look as well for comparison?

All the best,
    Andrew.

23. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    #248 1_can_dream, Oct 5, 2012
    Mine will probably stay pretty stock. There are many years of warranty left on it to risk voiding that for a couple more hp.

Here's the before and after.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    The blue is quite soothing, I like it. :)

The red reminds me of a 348 instrument panel though, so... hehehe. :eek: :D

All the best,
    Andrew.

25. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    The other difference, of course, is that they use some really efficient and bio-friendly fuels on the other side of the pond, whereas we burn Mazola.