The Dino Battery Replacement Thread | Page 2 | FerrariChat

The Dino Battery Replacement Thread

Discussion in '206/246' started by 410SA, Oct 6, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    It last about four years on the Stratos, Flat 12. It starts the car easily and can be mounted in any position. It's a great battery, and the leakproof, non-corrosive characteristics are real plusses. The fans on my Dino (a 73 US model) seem to go on more frequently than on the Stratos, so I wonder whether the additional load would suit the Redtop.

I have Redtop 30 on my Lotus Elan, too. They're not inexpensive, though.

2. Salmon&permit

Salmon&permit Karting

Apr 6, 2012
    London, UK
    After several months of zero use, I thought I would go and crank the engine over and check all was well....maybe even go for a spin if the rain stayed away. Sadly, the battery has died.

It is time for a replacement - which has now been purchased - but it doesn't appear to be a 10 minute job taking out the old one. Now, I am a relatively new owner and not entirely mechanically inept, but I was stumped pretty quickly trying to free the odl batter from its cage. Maybe I am mechanically inept - but I would like to be able to do 'simple' stuff like this.

Has anyone replaced their battery recently / got any picks / can point me in the direction of an idiots guide?

All help welcome - it can't be that hard, can it?

3. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I had the same problem with my newly purchased 246gt . WHen I bought it the battery seemed to be marginal and after a few weeks of use I decided a new battery was the answer I was of course concerned like you are about not doing it wrong. I searched this forum and found that I believed a 24F group battery would work. I recommend taking the old out and measuring it take a picture or to to make sure when you go to buy the battery the terms and size will work. I also figured this was a good time to add a battery tender which I did.
    Now on my 1972 USA model the battery is under the spare tire which is fairly easy to remove just make sure you are strong enough to lift it over the fender so it does not slip and make for a bad day. THen just remove the top to the battery box disconnect the battery terminals. I used duct tape to tape them out of the way, then the mounting bracket is pretty to easy to loosen lift the battery out, clean the box out and just reverse the install. I found it very easy to do . It actually made the car run better in that with the fuel pumps drainage on a marginal battery before start eliminated the car started easier . By the way in that I do not drive the car every day but as often as weather will allow after a drive I plug in the charger for overnight till it is fully charged then disconnect the charger and I am ready to go even several weeks later. Of course if you have a modern radio it may require a more frequent charge.
    I hope this has been of some help to you
    Larry H

4. Salmon&permit

Salmon&permit Karting

Apr 6, 2012
    London, UK
    Mmmmm, its the 'removing the top of the battery box' that is giving me problems! Mine seem to be retained by two long screws...and while taking the bolts off the top was easy....the screws seem absolutely entrenched and I cannot get the retainer off? Will see if I can find some diagrams to point me in the right direction.

5. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I know there are many people that will answer that are more knowledgable then me on DINOS . However mine came loose very easy just remove two bolts ?
    LarryH

6. racerboy9

racerboy9 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Those screws are actually welded to the bottom of the battery frame. Don't try to unscrew them or you'll have a new problem. They might be skewed enough to bind up the top hold down frame but prying a little with a screw driver should loosen it up. The battery originally had rubber lifting straps to help pull the battery out of the hole. They worked quite well. If you have your battery out you should check the condition of the frame for corrosion. There is also a ground stud on the bottom frame that your negative cable is attached to. Perfect time double check on it's condition to ensure good electrical contact. I usually put those felt battery terminal anti-corrosion washers on before re-attaching the terminal clamps. I don't think the felt washers give much protection but I coat the top side of them with Vaseline so when I put the battery cables back on they are sealed from the bottom. I then tighten up the battery terminals and brush Vaseline on them to seal the whole thing.

7. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Good advice, just an addition to this...........when you remove the STEEL battery holding bracket you can easily touch both the earth and live connection at the same time. Before you do this, fit some non conducting material (plastic cap over terminals) so they dont touch otherwise sparks will fly.
    Tony

8. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Are these available in USA?

9. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Best battery ever: Interstate Batteries Megatron. I'm sure they have one. I'm pretty sure I had one in my Dino. Go to an Interstate dealer and they will match it up. Batteries is what they do.

10. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

11. Neelfryer

Neelfryer Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2017
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    John
    so...i just read through this thread because I returned form NY and found my DINO dead

I drove it right before I left and I try to drive it once a week to keep it fresh all around - it has never shown any power issues - but today - I opened the driver door and saw no light come on - and the clock was not ticking as it usually does (maybe the clock finally wore me down)

I now have the spare tire out and I am about to attempt to take off the rectangular cover and see what's going on

I have a battery charger which will be easy to connect to this battery to see If I can get it going

my secret fear is ....

MICE!!!!!!

fingers crossed - pray

12. Neelfryer

Neelfryer Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2017
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    John
    okay - so update - i removed the top case and hooked my battery charger to the battery - the car immediately showed life as I had left the key in the start position

great - good sign - i turned the car off and let it charge for a minute and watched the % on the charger tell me it was good - I turned the key and it fired right up

also great !

But - I figured I would take it out for a run and try to charge the battery and see if it would hold charge - as soon as I unhooked my battery charger from the positive anode - the car died

so I am assuming its a dead battery - it looks relatively new - but then again I think this car has been driven very little in the last few years before me - but I ran it and kept the power going and the charge up - I thought ....

oh well - I guess I will go buy a battery and see how I do

more prayers please

13. Neelfryer

Neelfryer Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2017
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    John
    Success - I put it in the new battery and the car fired right up - I learned quite a bit this AM - this car and I have been together just about a year and I used to break out in a sweat driving it - so worried that I had no idea what I was doing - in a year's time I have become much more familiar with her

and by taking everything out of the front today - and replacing the battery - it was satisfying

I am gonna walk away feeling that to put a brand new battery in my Dino on Jan 1 is symbolic - a recharge - a new start

here's to a great 2019 my friends - health and happiness to you all

14. Ken Ivey

Ken Ivey Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2013
    Portland, OR, USA
    Full Name:
    Ken Ivey
    Leaving the key on can cause the coil to heat up badly. You might consider replacing the it or having a spare in the car. I left the key on while chasing an electrical gremlin and began to smell the coil. I was surprised when the car started and thought I had dodged a bullet. Then after driving for 6 or 8 hours the engine died. Some friends went to the parts store and brought back a new coil - back on the road. Just say'n...

15. Neelfryer

Neelfryer Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2017
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    John
    Ken = agreed = I had left the key ON accidentally and only for a few minutes - when the car got power and I heard the fuel pumps hum - I quickly shut the key to OFF and completed the job of replacing the battery - what I really need to do is find the fuse for the clock and remove it ....

16. racerboy9

racerboy9 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I would add a wire between the harness and the clock with a on/off switch so you could turn it on whenever you wish. Did this on my old Buick Electra so it wouldn't wear the clock out and use power when the car was sitting. You should be able to do it on the Dino without disturbing the original harness.

17. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Happy new year everyone.

I doubt the clock draws that much current to drain the battery over the winter months, more likely it was just a defective cell. I would fit a earth battery isolator as this one, my 246 had one from original as far as I know and is period correct. Mount on the outside of the wheel well with a suitable bracket. Shuts off everything

https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product/144

18. jag312

jag312 Karting

Oct 22, 2015
    Minden, Nevada
    Full Name:
    Edward Peterson
    Neelfryer likes this.