Marlboro and the Scuderia | FerrariChat

Marlboro and the Scuderia

Discussion in 'F1' started by Tifosi15, Sep 20, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tifosi15

Tifosi15 Formula 3

Jul 15, 2009
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    It has come up a few times in recent threads about Marlboro and their continued involvement with the Ferrari F1 team and as I have wondered this for a while I thought I would ask...

In what capacity is Marlboro still involved? I know they still bankroll a lot (I believe second after Santander?) but what do they have to gain from this relationship? I know in Monaco there are Ferrari/Marlboro banners on race weekend but apart from there I wonder how many people actually know of the continued support. Wasn't it 2010 that it ceased to be Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro?

I have always found it cheeky that after the barcode was banned the new Scuderia emblem on the engine cover does faintly resemble a cigarette pack.

Interested to hear from you guys, thanks

2. lucky_13_2002

lucky_13_2002 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 26, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Maybe when in a year or so we see the new Marlboro cigarette pack receive a "logo redesign" (a la Pepsi) to be exactly like on the Scuderia it will make a lot more sense. Then it would be "Marlboro promoting Ferrari" I guess. LOL It would be funny.

3. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    They do, and I believe they bankroll much more than Santander. In fact, I've heard Philip Morris buys all the advertising space on the car and then sells to others? Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think Marlboro/PM is still the #1 sponsor in terms of cash.

tifoso2728 and daytona355 like this.
  4. TOOLFAN

TOOLFAN F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2005
    California
    Correct. PM 'own' the space on the car and sell the space to other companies. At its peak PM was contributing 200MMUSD to Ferrari and its well over 100MM a year still. Santander basically foot the bill for Alonso's salary as they pay a much larger portion of that than Ferrari do.

5. Sellnit

Sellnit Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2010
    Cincinnati
    Full Name:
    James
    +1, that is my understanding as well. PM actually makes money/ limits their loss by reselling the space from what I have read on multiple occasions.

6. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Why do we restrict the advertising anyway? It's a completely legal substance in practically every country.

I don't smoke but if you do, who cares what brand you choose?

If you want to outlaw smoking: fine with me. If you want to discourage smoking: fine with me.

But if you smoke, who cares which color box you choose?

Remy Zero likes this.
  7. lucky_13_2002

lucky_13_2002 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 26, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Michael
    You are right and it is funny as our day, Marlboro actually offers cigarettes in quite few different colors of packages. Blue, green, silver, gold, brown and others.
    What I have read before on the issue is that the red and white are supposedly stamped in people's minds as the Coca Cola and Marlboro company colors. When the Marlboro sponsorship was discussed some time ago in the media (cars were still running barcodes) Marlboro said that they were confident that after all the years of sponsorship just the mere combo of red cars with white wings automatically associated Ferrari's cars with their brand in people's minds and that PM believed that not having the name spelled on the cars did not affect that association.
    Besides, like it was already mentioned, it probably is quite convenient for PM's accounting department.

8. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    I'm with Philip Morris at the moment, and we've recently extended our contract to sponsor the Scuderia right till 2020, with a deal worth about a billion euros.

At events, we still handout Scuderia stuff to customers, clients and staffs...

9. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Certain countries, like Indonesia, we still have the Ferrari F1 car on boxes of the cigrattes. And as per you mentioned, there's loads of various different Marlboro colours.

10. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    I agree. At the end of the day, i think alcohol is even more dangerous. It;s just double standards. Why was McD allowed to be sponsors and advertisers at the Olympics?

11. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Completely agree. Smoking advertising is banned but fast cars and booze is an "OK" connection?

Plus, the loss of tobacco $$$$ was tough for F1 and REALLY hurt MotoGP and WRC. Very stupid. Tobacco liveries usually looked great, too.

12. Tifosi15

Tifosi15 Formula 3

Jul 15, 2009
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    This is the greatest loss...

13. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Well over here in oz, the government has put in place new laws starting in December that all cigarette companies need to use plain packaging. Apparently it's a world 1st and the tobacco companies fear it might spark a global chain reaction.

14. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    It will...on the long run. However, most governments are on the fence on this one. Tobacco generates millions in taxes.

15. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    That's right, they're going to kill the golden goose. Of course in theory, as tobacco sales drop, so do health related issues which should reduce healthcare costs.

16. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    I don't smoke. Yet i'm petty aware that even if i did smoke Marlboro, i won't be as fast as Alonso. Hope this makes sense!

17. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Wasn't it the tobacco companies that were the first big money sponsors in F1 ?

Thank you Colin.

18. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    They were the only good looking liveries imo. From the Smokin' Joe's Yamaha M1s of MotoGP all the way back to the Rothmans 956 at the 24 Hours and JPS Lotus of F1. Non-tobacco cars rarely looked as good and none of these cars have ever made me even consider smoking a cigarette.

19. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    #19 Fast_ian, Sep 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yes, but it wasn't Colin. I have no idea why I knew this, but;

Cheers,
    Ian
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Remy Zero likes this.
  20. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Sum*****.
    You taught an old dog something.

Of course you can argue that it was Stirling that brought the modern era of sponsorship to F1.
    While advert livery wasn't allowed back then didn't he drive a car or two painted Yeoman Credit green?

21. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    #21 Fast_ian, Sep 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Sum*****! You taught another old dog something..... From Wiki, my emphasis;

'Learn something every day!" ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

The BRP BRM P25 which Stirling Moss drove to second place in the 1959 British Grand Prix, BRP's best result;
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    Ferrari and Red Bull have decided on some cosmetic surgery as both revealed new logos ahead of the 2018 season.

"The Scuderia's logos in the past have been heavily influenced by their long-time partner Malboro, owned by Philip Morris, despite a voluntary ban been in place since 2006 on cigarette branding.

But Morris and Malboro have continued to have advertising space given to them and more appropriate sponsors have been found which do not have such a strong connection to smoking.

Ferrari only signed a renewal with Malboro back in September, which is worth a reported $160m a year, but have instead unveiled a new shield logo which simply includes the famous Prancing Horse and the Scuderia Ferrari initials."

http://www.planetf1.com/news/ferrari-and-red-bull-reveal-fresh-2018-logos/

crinoid likes this.
  23. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    New logo? That´s the good ole´ "Scuderia" shield. And it´s much better looking that the thing they´ve using lately.

24. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    lol @ "new logo"

25. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.