Will you soon want to buy a Toyota? | Page 9 | FerrariChat

Will you soon want to buy a Toyota?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by NeuroBeaker, Dec 12, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Will you soon want to buy a Toyota (such as the GT86)?

1. Wow! That actually looks like a neat little car - I'm impressed.

2. It looks good, but I have concerns about whether it will actually be a good drive or not.

3. I'm not interested in that particular Toyota.

4. I'm not going to consider any Toyota.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
  2. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    That these specific Dunlops afford this specific time advantage over OEMs? Then I'm lacking common knowledge . . .

3. Dazzling

Dazzling Formula 3

Nov 18, 2010
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    Darren
    Lol

4. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Don't be too hard on yourself!

5. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    It's hard not to be when I don't know the specific impact a specific tire has on a specific car, one that's barely started to arrive in showrooms. (Makes me wonder why a major magazine would bother making a video about it.)

6. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I know what you mean.

7. Dazzling

Dazzling Formula 3

Nov 18, 2010
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    Darren
    I read today a release before 2014 would be unliklely.

This is REALLY bugging me.....now almost 44% say they wouldn't even consider the car (which has been critically aclaimed globally) because its a Toyota!!!....WTF??....is this the reason the car was released in the US as a Scion?....I would like to hear the rationale from those voting this way.

Don't get me wrong, Ferrari is my marque of choice and I love mine.....but the 86/BRZ/FR-S is an outstanding car for the money IMO and I just don't understand this particular negative bias.

8. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg

Seems rather odd to me aswell but to each their own. I might call my buddy who is one of the owners of a local Toyota dealership and ask if I can test drive one. As a past owner of an AE86 I would like to see how much it resembles and differs from from the original.

Have any pics or renderings of the planned roadster been released or leaked?

9. Dazzling

Dazzling Formula 3

Nov 18, 2010
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    Darren
    http://www.gtspirit.com/2012/03/01/toyota-confirms-release-gt-86-convertible/

10. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #210 texasmr2, Jul 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
    I like it and it reminds me of the California Spyder.

"It is unknown at this stage when the Toyota convertible will hit the showrooms. A production version is in the works but not yet confirmed for production, according to the German car magazine. It is also unknown if a convertible will be offered for the Subaru BRZ and Scion FR-S versions."

I am quite the literal person so I read this as there will be a 3rd version offered under the Toyota name ie the roadster?

11. Bounce

Bounce Formula 3

Nov 30, 2009
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    It was announced today that a convertible will never be released in the USA, most other markets should be getting it.

In other news, I'm having serious doubts on my colour choice. I ordered silver but for some reason I'm drawn to red now but I'd hate to own a red car there are far too many.

Silver shows the lines and curves off, no other colour does that IMO.

12. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lzXgGo9wNU&feature=related[/ame]

13. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    This ad is cool...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXGZdiH1qh8[/ame]

That's it, I'm getting one sooner or later. Best daily sportscar on the market AFAIK, everything else is too heavy, too big for spirited drives on the local roads, too expensive, too compromised or without a manual transmission option.

What bothers me are all the **** journalists that test these cars. I've seen tons of YouTube clips trying to get what kind of driving experience these cars actually deliver. So far I've heard everything from "Power could be more of" vs. "Engine pulls good all through", "Some noticeable bodyroll" vs. "No significant bodyroll at all", "Cheap cabin" vs. "Well put together" and so on and so on.
    Also seen those who can't pull of a drift in the dry and claim it's hard to do vs. Chris Harris and the like who would go sideways in every corner.

The only thing I really dislike about these cars is the red digital clock in the center console. So, so, so outdated. Doesn't look right under the navigation screen AT ALL.

14. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    Here's a racer's impression of the car. Reading these few paragraphs, you wouldn't necessarily assume that he'd draw the conclusion he did:

His run at Laguna:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38WqRJf7So8[/ame]

Earlier in the same piece:

http://www.motortrend.com/features/performance/1208_2012_subaru_brz_lamborghini_aventador_jaguar_xkr_s_2012_best_drivers_car_contenders/viewall.html#ixzz24C4zeXT5

15. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    Thanks for sharing, I'm definitely going with the BRZ. I need to test drive it.

16. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    I'm dying to know more about that dual charge kit I posted about earlier in this thread, as well as what Litchfield will offer.

17. AKS

AKS Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    Sin City
    I love mine.

[​IMG]

18. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    #218 1_can_dream, Aug 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The digital clock is ridiculous, and I wish they hadn't included it. Not only does it not look right, it's also not color matched to the rest of the interior lights (gauges/nav/etc).

Just to give an update on mine, I've got just under 3000 miles on it so far and it's still a blast to drive. As for the negatives, there are a couple of areas that are giving off some very noticeable rattles that I haven't tried to fix up yet. Additionally my dealership currently has a new navigation and third brake light on order for me. It appears the third brake light never worked in the first place, and the navigation has some stuck pixels on the screen (there shouldn't be green and blue visualizations, this isn't windows media player). The navigation also loses satellite signal quite often, but allegedly there is a fix in the works for that to move the gps antenna, apparently they placed it too close to the unit itself.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    Some prefer the Scion version's handling as it's more lively; Tetsuya Tada, chief engineer for the Scion, claims that "his first love is a car that can be steered by the throttle . . ." and the UK model at lest reflects that mindset.

I don't know if it's the same in the US, but according to evo the only difference between the two are the spring rates. The fronts are softer than the BRZ's while the rears are stiffer. So going from one set up to the other, while not dirt cheap, is neither prohibitively expensive nor complicated.

20. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Just to pick up on some handling quotes here:

I'm a little confused. Wouldn't "more lively" be a descriptor for a car that is more tail happy and likely to oversteer? That seems at odds with the review that claims the Subaru is "less likely to understeer" than the Scion.

So, in comparison to the Subaru, are the Scion's handling characteristics more naturally included to induce "safe"/dull understeer or exciting oversteer?

All the best,
    Andrew.

21. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
  22. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    After watching that video it reminded me of all the Top Gear episodes I have watched and I am still wondering why "ZED" is spoken in reference to any car model with a Z monocure, its annoying.

Could it be a UK based speach impediment such as.............
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3bdXctq7DM[/ame]

Sowwy I digwessed.

23. Dazzling

Dazzling Formula 3

Nov 18, 2010
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    Darren
    That was great thanks

Probably also answered your previous question. The Subaru's front springs being stiffer may offer better "bite" on turn in and therefore less likely to understeer, but it doesn't mean the 86 is a boring understeerer.......just a little different, moves around a bit more at both ends I suspect (the yaw CH mentioned?).

24. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    The yaw seems to describe what's going on pretty accurately. However, I'm still a bit confused that one reviewer would describe the Scion is "prone to understeer", while the Scion engineer was describing their version as "more lively". The statements still seem contradictory. :eek:

All the best,
    Andrew.

25. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    Yeah, it's confusing, which kind of goes to werewolf's point that impressions of these cars vary from test to test, journalist to journalist.

By "lively" I most certainly meant that the car brings the rear out easily, which is how I interpreted "steered on the throttle . . . "

Here's the relevant text from evo #171, pages 46 and 47:

The piece makes a few more important points, but I don't want to quote the entire thing out of respect for the copyright.

I hope this helped.

(Does anyone know if the UK-Euro cars have the same suspension as those destined for the US?)