250 GTO? | FerrariChat

250 GTO?

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by BlueEdge, Jul 22, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BlueEdge

BlueEdge Rookie

Aug 15, 2011
    #1 BlueEdge, Jul 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I saw this yesterday at the Ferrari Challenge event at Lime Rock, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me if it is an authentic 250 GTO, or replica/recreation? It looked like a real one to me, but I am nowhere near knowledgeable enough on the GTOs to say for certain that it was authentic, and I didn't see the owner to ask.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    It's a fake. I've been following it since 2005, but haven't pin-pointed a serial number (yet).

Best wishes, Kare

3. BlueEdge

BlueEdge Rookie

Aug 15, 2011
    Thank you. I've read elsewhere that someone had spoken to the owner at the event and he said he had a painting of it racing in 1963, which would suggest that he was implying it was a genuine GTO.

4. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    If it was real it wouldn't have been parked where it was parked at that Event.

5. BlueEdge

BlueEdge Rookie

Aug 15, 2011
    #5 BlueEdge, Jul 22, 2012
    True enough, although I understand the owner brought it down to the corral area for a brief time. I do also recall at last years event that 0062M was parked in the same place and only brought down to the corral area late on at the event.

I took this photo of a couple of badges on the dashboard, they may have just been stuck on for no reason or they may give some clues to the origin of the car:

6. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    is it based on anything Ferrari?

7. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    #7 kare, Jul 23, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
    Without seeing chassis stamping it is impossible to say anything. I am also uncertain if a scratch built chassis frame with a four digit serial number should be concidered "anything Ferrari" - and don't really care. My guess would be a modified 250/330 chassis with a 250/330 engine, likely having been built in UK.

Best wishes, Kare

8. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Please can you tell us how you know the car is a fake or what the giveaway details are on this particular example. Thanks very much.

9. RMV

RMV F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    The proportions are wrong. It just looks wrong.

10. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    I think the bonnet bulge, much larger than on the real 250GTOs, is a pretty good indication this is a 330 engine. The 3 sisters to the 250GTO (3673SA, 3765LM and 4561SA), sometimes called 330GTO's, all have larger bulges although none of those look quite like this one.

To me, the rear of the car doesn't look right. The shape of the bodywork over the rear tyre is not correct. Hard to put the finger on, it is a pretty convincing car.

The closest real GTO to this one that I can find is 3909GT, but that has slightly smaller vent openings next to the foglights.

BTW - if the owner implied it was real, then I am not at all surprised.

Onno

11. RMV

RMV F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002

Poor form re. implying that he had painting of this car racing in '63.

The nose is pretty good. The bulge is more pronounced a la the 330s. From the headlights back the body proportions are obviously wrong.

12. Jalpa_Mike

Jalpa_Mike F1 Rookie

Apr 2, 2004
    Sequim
    Full Name:
    Michael Wilson
    #12 Jalpa_Mike, Jul 23, 2012
  13. RMV

RMV F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    The Enzo is a fake.

14. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
  15. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    LOL!

16. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    If it's supposed to be a 4 litre car it can't be real by elimination as there were only 2 as we've discussed here recently. C/N 3765LM has 2 side vents and C/N 4561SA is RHD.

17. BlueEdge

BlueEdge Rookie

Aug 15, 2011
    To add to the confusion with this car, I've now been told by someone who should be a pretty reliable source that it's one of the three 330 GTOs, and I've read elsewhere that the owner said "it was a 250GTO chassis and slightly modified body with a 330 engine".

18. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    So by the fact that this thread has been moved, it's been concluded it's for sure a repop?

19. RMV

RMV F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    I seriously, seriously doubt that.

20. RMV

RMV F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Of course it's a repro.

21. BlueEdge

BlueEdge Rookie

Aug 15, 2011
    I found this video of the car being started up, any ideas as to the engine in it?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NejcBT-gqw[/ame]

22. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Put the car up for sale as what ever and see what happens. One thing that can be said for the open market place these days,it does have a way separating the wheat from the chaff. It's often the private sale where real fraud shows up. tongascrew

23. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    The video provides a great and rare opportunity to glance at the almost never displayed, world famous, light blue Bentley parked on the left,
    a re bodied 1932, 4 1/2 liter Blower Bentley, possibly the Brooklands speed record holder, made to fit so nicely in the current 'wanna-be ambiance'.

Lovely workmanship, but it can still be spotted a mile away, that it is clearly a fake.

I challenge anyone to disprove me ;)

The Ferrari on the right though, has me stumped. Anybody know?

Regards, Alberto

24. thecheddar

thecheddar Formula 3

Jun 29, 2006
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Cheddar, The
    I hardly think the car of this thread is being put forth "fraudulently" and no one would buy this under the auspices of it being "real"...!

It's a simple recreation (though each is free to call it what they like), likely Ferrari-based and obviously no 240Z. The workmanship and proportions are nice. Though certainly not "accurate" by any stretch I'm sure it's a ball to drive.

25. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Based on post #3, I'd say it is being represented as being a real GTO.