The blue car curse | FerrariChat

The blue car curse

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by WJHMH, Jul 7, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    I never really believed this but now I'm starting to, a blue car or truck regardless of what it is will be difficult to sell. There is not much of a demand for them, well at least in Texas.

A friend of mine that has a radio show has always referred to the phrase "loser blue" (laser blue) when ever someone calls in for a bid. He won't buy them & the rare occasions that he does they don't sell or bring expected numbers at auction.

Don't get me wrong there are certain cars that look fantastic in blue, the Gulf Porsche blue is one of my personal favorites. I'm not sure if it's a geographical thing or just the curse of the color, has anyone heard of this also?

2. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    I hope it's true, give me a blue car anytime! Blue looks good on so many cars and I like the fact that it's 'rarer'.

3. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    One word, more or less: TdeF.

4. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    #4 WJHMH, Jul 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The 348 I've trying to sell is blue chario, it took the original owner over a year to get this color. It's very rare & I thought would be a great selling point for this car. Unfortunately the masses that have looked at it & would rather repaint it resale red than keep its original color. That was one of the reasons I was told it didn't sell at Manheim back April.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Depends on the car and the shade of blue. As Dr. Trash said, TdF is one of man's finest accomplishments. World Rally Blue is incredibly popular for the WRX/STi. I think Grabber Blue works great on Mustang GTs and Shelbys.

6. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
  7. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    If I had the money and was in the market, I'd buy it! :eek:

8. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Painting that car resale red would be a travesty.

9. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    I think it is very pretty in that color.

10. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    I think it depends on whether its a mainstream car, or something more special. Blue sedans probably have a lot less appeal.

On the other hand, Blue/White are the colors of USA racing back in the day, and are VERY fitting on old Mustang's, Vettes, etc.

I searched long and hard to find my blue Porsche 944. I guess its a rare color because its not as much in demand, but I personally, really love it. I hope I never have to resell it in my lifetime, so the resale value is pointless to me. I would not trade my blue 944 for a red 308 no cash exchanged.

11. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    +1

12. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    #12 nathandarby67, Jul 7, 2012
    My first car growing up was an MGB, in a color called "Pageant Blue". I did and still do think the 'B looked great in that color.

I currently daily drive an FJ Cruiser in Voodoo Blue. I like it the best of all the FJ color options.

I haven't sold either of those vehicles, so maybe that's for the best since apparently I'd get hosed on the deal!

13. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Blue '71 VW Bug Convertible + Black top = Chick Magnet. '84 thru '86 were very, very, very good years. ;)

Constantly got offers to buy it from all types of people at stop signs & lights, whether people flipped U-Turns or sped up, in traffic, while parking, notes on windshield.

14. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    #14 Devilsolsi, Jul 7, 2012
  15. 2000 CVPI

2000 CVPI Karting

Apr 29, 2012
    Maitland, FL
    Full Name:
    Alex H.
    I LOVE that color! If I had the money, I would buy it in a heartbeat!

16. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    I don't see how painting it red will work out financially. Wouldn't it cost more for a good respray than you could get extra in the final sale?

Is it that the offers you receive are ridiculously low, or is there simply no interest?

17. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I agree. And, IMHO, most Ferrari models look best in a color other than red.

18. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    it's a real beauty, i would buy it ...but i think most are looking for the sterotype "Ferrari in red"
    as a Ferrari fan, i wouldn't like to see it repainted, but, if the owner is anxious to sell?!

19. cgperry

cgperry Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Chas SC
    Full Name:
    Charles Perry
    #19 cgperry, Jul 9, 2012
    I think it's all a matter of finding the right buyer - it may take longer with a blue car, but the person that wants it was looking for it and is therefore more serious.

When I saw the Monterey Blue on the Diablo back in 98 I knew that was the color I wanted if I could ever afford the car. When it became possible to buy, it took me two years of pestering the previous owner to get him to sell me the particular example I wanted.

It may just be that blues are harder to photograph as well - no picture has ever done my car justice as the shading is so light-dependent.

20. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    #20 DIGMAN52, Jul 9, 2012
    Will,
    I had never heard of the blue curse, and don't buy into it one bit. That 348 looks great in that color. The right buyer will come along. If not, let Jonathan have a go at it.

I'm kind of partial to blue.

21. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I'm still a buyer for your car if I get my house sold. My wife will probably kill me, but she did like the 348 when I had it previously. I have a blue S2000 which I bought specifically because I wanted that color. I think your 348 in blue looks fantastic! Just hang in there!!!

:)
    BT