Oklahoma Ferrari Owners.. Check in here. | FerrariChat

Oklahoma Ferrari Owners.. Check in here.

Discussion in 'Midwest - USA (NE, KS, OK, MO, AR)' started by noblesteed, Jun 14, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. noblesteed

noblesteed Formula Junior

Sep 9, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Brantley
    #1 noblesteed, Jun 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
    Not sure if it's already been attempted or exists but I'd love to help put a group of as many Oklahoma Ferrari owners together as possible. I've seen more Ferrari's in OKC / Tulsa in the past couple of years than maybe ever (at least since the 80's oil boom). Just in OKC in the past few weeks, I've seen everything from 458's to Testarossa's to 355's... and there are tons more out there.

So, let's see if we can compile an email list of Oklahoma owners. It could create a useful tool for getting together or help with our cars! I'd love to help maintain the list and organize some get togethers. Seems like a shame to not have a real community of Ferrari owners in our state.

I'll start (let's try to stick with this format):

Name: Brantley Cowan
    email: [email protected]
    Current Ferrari(s) owned: 84' Ferrari 308 QV GTB Euro

Let's set a goal and see if we can compile at least 50 F cars and their owners in Oklahoma!

2. BULL RUN

BULL RUN Formula 3

Dec 18, 2004
    Very ambitious. I don't think you'll get anywhere near 50, but not saying they're not out there.

3. BULL RUN

BULL RUN Formula 3

Dec 18, 2004
    Damn worse than I thought. Talk about a bunch of closet owners!

4. noblesteed

Sep 9, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Brantley
    Seriously. Apparently, though our economy is fairly good in OK and I see plenty of Ferrari's... we are a bunch of recluses around here or aren't very community oriented with our cars.

5. m.roberts

m.roberts Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2009
    USA
    I think you will find that the majority of owners perfer to remain somewhat anonymous.

There can be a lot of resentment from customers, patients, etc when they see people driving around in exotic cars and such.

I also imagine that in this information age, most of us are skeptical about adding ourselves to any more 'lists' than we already are on.

I suggest becoming a member of the Oklahoma Ferrari chapter, also attend local Cars & Coffee meets. There are LOTS and LOTS of exotics around in OKC, Tulsa and surrounding areas.

I can't speak for OKC, but the Tulsa Cars and Coffee group seems to grow every month and probably has 20+ exotics that attend.

6. paulfromtulsa

paulfromtulsa Rookie

Dec 25, 2009
    i know somebody that owns a ferrari!!!! does that count?

7. BULL RUN

BULL RUN Formula 3

Dec 18, 2004
    Pathetic, but probably true. Really though this has been the case for many years, nobody's been able to arrange anything. I was a member of the OK Ferrari club for a while, and was not too impressed. Sorry. So I think it's an Oklahoma thing. The Car's and Coffee the first Saturday of the month at Starbucks is a really good one though. Saw a 72' yellow Dino out there and just about fell over.

8. KB458

KB458 Rookie

Sep 14, 2010
    Jenks, Oklahoma
    I agree with M Roberts, most would rather stay in the shadows. Then they can live vicariouly thru their Lambo friends.

9. deon.smith

deon.smith Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2009
    Oklahoma
    "vicariouly" I warrant this is not how they live thru us Lambo friends. We do use spell check.

10. noblesteed

Sep 9, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Brantley
    Pathetic. So corvette guys, hot rod guys, and pretty much every other brand of car people host shows, help charities, etc... but "Ferrari" guys are too elitist to share their name and email address? Seems to me if that's true, most are missing the point of owning something that should be shared with kids, fans, etc... that's the best part about owning a rare car in my opinion.

11. m.roberts

m.roberts Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2009
    USA
    #11 m.roberts, Jun 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
    Brantley,

Personally, I think your attitude on this post is extremely rude and very presumptous.

I think you have absolutely ZERO idea what you are talking about. Until you have walked a mile in someone else's shoes, you shouldn't be out there passing judgment.

Part of the problem with ownership of a newer generation Ferrari, Lambo, or other exotic is the immediate assumption that the owner/driver is an '******'. There is also the immediate assumption that they are involved in either some form of illegal business or take advantage of their customers or patients.

With regard to many of my doctor friends, they have literally LOST patients by people seeing the car sitting in the parking lot at the doctor's office. I also have some friends that own small businesses and they have lost customers due to the assumption that they are making too much money at the expense of their customers.

It is VERY understandable to me that any or all of these owners would not want to become part of any list that may make its way onto any website or other form of media. We don't know you, we don't know what your full intentions are with the list. Furthermore, we do get out and share these cars with kids, enthusiasts, and anyone else who may be interested.

You can tell us that a Ferrari or Lambo is no different than a Corvette... if that is the case, I suggest you go get a newer model of either of those brands of vehicle, park them at your place of business, and see what happens..... I have shared my car with everyone I see. I let kids get in the car with their dads, I take their pictures, I even occasionally take strangers on rides when I have the time.

All of this, yet:

I am known to many as a prick with a Ferrari.
    I have had motor oil poured on and inside my vehicle when parked with the top down.
    I have had the car spit on and door dinged.
    I have been targeted by the police and accused of driving a stolen vehicle.
    I am constantly accused by strangers and neighbors of being a drug dealer.

My point to this whole post is that just because we don't want to be on your list does not mean that we are not some of the nicest and most friendly people you may know. Many exotic owners in Oklahoma are members of many various car clubs. We participate in charity drives, group meets, etc. More often than not, the people I know are the ones that are organizing the car and charity events you are talking about.

If you want to know who we are, come to any of the many meets that occur monthly in Tulsa or OKC.

As for myself, I don't really give a sh*t about people knowing the car I have. I drive it nearly every day and I deal with the sh*tstorm that comes with it. Frankly, driving the car daily is typically more hassle than it is worth, but it puts a smile on my face when I hit the throttle, so that is all that happens. Still, taking all of this into account, I do not want my name on any more lists. I already get too many spam emails, phone calls, snail mail, etc. All of my friends that do our monthly cruises, car meets, etc ALL have access to my email and phone number at any time 24/7.

As another added comment to this, I was at a Ferrari event about 2 weeks ago. The President and CEO of a very well known Oklahoma convenience store chain was at this event. The event was organized to allow potential customers the opportunity to test drive the cars and see if it was a good fit for them. This person made the comment right in front of me that he is well aware of the jealousy that other people have when they see cars of this caliber. He explained that he loved the car and would buy it, however he would then have to deal with his employees comments and such when he was at ANY of his stores getting gas for the vehicle. While sad, yes, this was the number one reason why he determined he was unable to purchase the vehicle.

It really isn't about those of us who own the cars, it is about the people that don't own the cars that pass judgment and ruin the experience for the owners and enthusiasts.

12. Jimi900

Jimi900 Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2004
    Tulsa, OK
    Well said Roberts.

I see this everyday around my office, due to the two owners (one being my father) buying themselves each a toy with in the last year. Now they are not Ferraris, but when employees see actions like this, then feel like they are the one getting screwed, and complain that instead of spending their own hard earned money, they should be paying them more. They don’t know the whole story, and quite frankly it is none of their business, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t going to happen. You can’t stop jealousy, and it is always going to happen.

Jim

13. paulfromtulsa

paulfromtulsa Rookie

Dec 25, 2009
    i hear their lambo friends are much better looking!!!!

14. deon.smith

deon.smith Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2009
    Oklahoma
    Matt,
    Very well said!

15. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    I may regret rhis post, but here goes. Matt, I fully agree with all points.

Brantley, you are way off base and an ass.

I have a number of exotics and love to share them when i can. Unfortunately, with my scheduleq I cannot drop everything at somone elses whim. Hiwever, I am fortunate enough to live at the foot of the Ozark mountains and take what little free timeI have to get out and drive my cars as opposed to going to aome meet where everyone stands around a bunch of parked cars.

Brantley, just because we don't want to sign up on your list anf come to your little meet doean't mean we are not good stewards for these vehicles. Many of us do other things in the name of publix service. Brantley, the only thing I see as pathetic is your attitude towards fellow owners.

Also, as far as owner not wanting to support charities, you may want to rethink that one. I'd wager many of us give more away to charities per year than you make.

16. JPSIII

JPSIII Formula Junior

Oct 18, 2010
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Phillip Sartin
    Matt makes an excellent and well thought-out point. I for one can vouch for him sharing his Ferrari in that he gave me a ride, a thrilling experience and one I never thought would happen until I bought my own. Paul was also nice enough to give me a ride in his car. I can understand why owners of these cars would not want to put themselves out there, there is inherent risk stemming from people's jealousy and assumptions, something that can be avoided by maintaining a low profile and being discreet in who personally knows they own an exotic.

All I know for sure though is that there are two nice exotic owners in Tulsa and I thank them for sharing their cars with me.

17. brainbizz

brainbizz Karting

Oct 27, 2006
    OK
    Owning a Ferrari doesn't make you a prick but a lot of pricks do own a Ferrari. Tulsa is a very small community and everyone knows everyones business so its hard to keep a low profile. Its simple no one wants the attention except 16 year old girls and harley riders.

18. Masher44

Masher44 F1 World Champ

Jan 15, 2008
    Why don't you scroll a few threads down and actually participate in a charity show and stop wasting time pissing and moaning about how no one wants to join your email group.

I've got a wonderful list of owners whom are participating in a charity show in August that is being put on 100% by two Ferrari owners and we have over 30 cars already joining.

Bring your checkbook sport.

19. waterboy222

waterboy222 Karting

Dec 29, 2009
    Grand Lake, OK
    If you want to keep tabs on any and every Ferrari owner in Oklahoma, come do some hand shaking at the Grand Lake event next month. You'll see then that every guy there is happy to open up face to face instead of putting their private asset information up on a faceless forum..

You'd be surprised exactly how many cars are lurking away and shy because of people like you how just call owners "pathetic" because they don't do what you ask of them.

Come out and meet everyone, you'll have a wildly different taste afterwards..

20. noblesteed

Sep 9, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Brantley
    #20 noblesteed, Jul 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
    I'm kind of shocked by the reaction of those calling me an "ass" etc on here or the extremely long response from my one sentence post. Seems I touched a nerve. I was referring to the post ABOVE mine that mentioned "pathetic" and was only agreeing with the lack of participation on this thread, not by the Ferrari community. Also, seemed a little low in the above posts talking about how much "less" I make than some of you guys.

There is no doubt that I'm sure you guys have a lot more cash than me. I'm a touring musician... not a heart surgeon, construction company owner, etc... but we are all enthusiast of the same brand of car and the original intent of me starting this thread was a positive one to bring people together. There is a lack of much of a Ferrari community in Oklahoma City... I do think its pathetic that I see other Ferrari communities in surrounding areas and we don't have much of one in OKC and there are a lot cars in the area. I completely understand about the judgmental people out there and being protective of your reputation and cars. I spent 7 years working for a large OKC based Architecture firm and I wouldn't have driven it to work either. Most people don't know I own my car and it's just a 308. But I do think it would be great to get together as a Ferrari group, at least in OKC. I'd love to go to Grand Lake / Tulsa and participate, but I tend to keep my car in the area and it's hard for me to make it up there very often.

I was at the big Edmond car show at Hafer Park this past weekend. Some amazing cars there... only 1 Ferrari and I spoke with the owner. He told me he's a little out in the dark and wishes he knew more Ferrari guys. I mentioned this board and swapped info with him.

I was only trying to help that but I will gladly go away as I see I've upset people on here. I had hoped to have a better response... I didn't expect people to post their info on here but instead email me info to my above email. All that being said, my apologies for upsetting everyone so much.

21. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    #21 slm, Jul 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
    Really not sure how else to take this post, whether in or out of context. Basically you are saying Ferrari owners. are elitist, don't support car shows, don't share their vehicles with others, don't support charities, etc.

22. noblesteed

Sep 9, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Brantley
    #22 noblesteed, Jul 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
    No, I wasn't saying they are... I was posing the question... and I even said "if that's true"... and again, I apologize if that's how it was taken, but that is not what I meant. But I do think you're response to my one sentence post was a little harsh. And I never asked you (like you mentioned in your previous post) to "drop everything on a whim".

First off, I'm not an ass... that was harsh. I'm a good guy and a good person. Do I make mistakes? Of course and I'll admit that the term "pathetic" might have been strong... maybe what I was saying was I was disappointed in the lack of unity amongst Ferrari owners in the OKC area... the whole post was voiced to Oklahoma owners and was only posing the question and my first post was purely positive... specifically OKC owners and like was mentioned by another poster, OKC doesn't have much of a Ferrari community. I wasn't speaking to the Ozark people or others. I feel like this whole thing is being blown out of proportion and your response was really tough considering. I wasn't wanting to have a "little meet" as you mentioned, nor did I ever expect to cause such indepth responses or to make people so hot about it.

My whole intent was good and positive and I never accused all Ferrari owners of not doing public service. I know there are a TON of great people on this board. As for saying that many Ferrari owners "give more money to charity than I make." Pretty low shot at me... but I'm sure you are right. Like I stated, I'm a touring musician and I don't make a lot but on what ever level we are all successful at what we do. I don't know you and you don't know me, but as I stated, I am sorry and yes, I don't have a large income. Doesn't mean I'm not a good guy or didn't have good intentions by trying to get a group of guys together and being proactive in doing even more positive things than whats out there. Sorry I upset you so much. Wasn't at all my intent. I don't know what else I can say.

23. BULL RUN

BULL RUN Formula 3

Dec 18, 2004
    Boy sounds like some of you guys really needed to unload. Are you mad because you can't drive your car's where you want? The topic is for like minded Ferrari owners to get together, not driving your car to work or flaunting it around the wrong crowds. You do that at your own risk.

Bottom line is you won't even hang out where it's safe with your own kind.

24. brainbizz

brainbizz Karting

Oct 27, 2006
    OK
    I would argue that most Ferrari owners are elitist. That point appears to have been made by the responses to the post; however, it has nothing to do with joining the list. That would have to be done from the inside and most likely would have to be an owner. There are a lot of people who don't want to be known and thats not pathetic just their choice for whatever their reason. There is even a 250 GTO in Tulsa. Not many know that but its real.

25. tcannon

tcannon Formula 3

Feb 18, 2009
    Norman, OK
    Full Name:
    Todd Cannon
    I think that your concept was in good spirit but poorly executed. In my opinion, if you wanted to try and pull together an OK Ferrari group, it would have to be done on the ground at car events and rallies. Not by asking people for their contact info on a forum board. Of course this takes a lot of effort for someone to try and do this. That is probably why it hasn't happened. While there are probably many Ferrari's in the OKC area, only a percentage of them would be interested in meeting up as a club (as with any make of car). Most of us these days have a crammed schedule as it is. So adding another thing to our list of things to do in our free time is a hard thing to do. I just think that your approach was off target a bit and therefore resulted in a negative response. I have a Ferrari myself and live in Norman. While I would like to be able to meet up with other Ferrari owners, there is just not time in my schedule to do so most of the time. I have been trying to get up to the OKC cars and coffee meet since last fall and have not been able to make it even once yet. But I will keep trying. ;)