1962 GTO sells for $35 Million | Page 4 | FerrariChat

1962 GTO sells for $35 Million

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by Gran Drewismo, Jun 1, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    I knew a guy in the Alfa Owners Club in Boston back in the 1970's who bought his silver/black 250 GT SWB in a distress financial sale for $3,500.

2. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    330 LMB...hopefully a lot more than they have traded for in the past... more powerful, better looking, the culmination of the line... better exclusivity, they only made four vs 10 times that many for the 250... relatively speaking last trading prices of the 330 LMB were at super bargain levels...

3. DAYTONASME

DAYTONASME Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester UK
    Full Name:
    DAYTONASME
    Me too Onno...maybe we will become part of an underground movement....

Whilst plenty of onlookers....me included, were highly sceptical about the motivations and objectives of the Classiche programme, I can see how some of those who understand little of Ferrari history and the marketplace, would use this as a benchmark qualification.....I agree with Jim G, a subtle "shift"

Ed

4. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    We need to invent a handshake! :)

Onno

5. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    I'll get back to you on this later. I'll provide the numbers and also the depth of the field as well.

6. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    $35,000,000.00

Hummm.

Well, that has just about priced me out of the market.

7. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    V not L

8. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    what is that amount in some sort of constant dollar... someone handy with a calculator ?

9. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    700 kgs GOLD or 35.000 kgs silver

:)

10. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Great Peter. I'm not here to be perceived as being right, I would love to get some hard numbers even if they prove me wrong.

Onno

11. Cozmic_Kid

Cozmic_Kid F1 Veteran

Dec 1, 2005
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    B. Frandsen
    Maybe a dumb question since I guess noone really know the real answer.

But, if all these GENUINE 250 GTO's came up for sale. Which one do you think would fetch the most? Is $35 million absolute maximum, or could one of the others cash in at more, maybe $50 million?

12. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    Because the concept of a car with a conbustible engine still is part our world. Besides that, there are not that many people that have any interest in a pre war car.

I am more sceptical. It remains to be seen whether or not a car withstands the teeth of time when it's function, either being for competition of for transportation, becomes obsolete. And that will happen at some point in the future. How much we want to percieve a GTO as an object d'art, it is not. Unlike a painting or a sculpture, it has a certain point in time in which it was relevant. It was once relevant as a competition car and has become relevant as a collectors item but I doubt it will always remain relevant as a collectors item.

But who uses a steam train these days??

I doubt my future grandkids will have any notion of the car with the combustible engine. They grow up in a digital world. Will they have any interest in such an analogue creation as the 250 GTO? Of course at one time I will introduce my five month old son to the world of Ferrari. I can imagine that, like his old man, he will probably be taken by the (for him) current models at first and slowly make his way back to 1947. We'll see ;)

Agreed, but the interest in 250 GTO's or any vintage racingcars is not about thinking green. Nor will Africa ever set the tone on the vintage racingcar market.

13. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    that's a basic economics supply vs demand question...

14. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Horses, horseback riding, racing and other competition events still seems to be popular despite being obsolete as basic transportation for more than a century now.

15. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I don't think so, because with these cars race history, originality and provenance matters.

Having said that, if all went for sale at the same time, the more cars sold the higher the price for the remaining cars would climb. They would, however be at different base prices, based on the qualities I mentioned earlier.

16. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    I picked the mid point of the previous irrational market. IMO Ferrari prices are a bubble today and growth from here will be very low.

17. Cris Bertschi

Cris Bertschi Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2005
    Buenos Aires
    Full Name:
    Cristián Bertschi
    Would you please quantify the profit?

18. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    500,000 Euro vs 4,000,000 Euro is a factor of 8... not a bad return for a garage sale to move on from an old toy... it would be nice if we could do that each time we tire of our toys...

19. Cris Bertschi

Mar 3, 2005
    Buenos Aires
    Full Name:
    Cristián Bertschi
    Did he pay Euros in the mid 90s???????

20. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    He paid 1.0 m DM which is today Euro 500k.

21. Cris Bertschi

Mar 3, 2005
    Buenos Aires
    Full Name:
    Cristián Bertschi
    Thanks Walter, but I think to do a proper analysis it is not accurate to compare mid 90s DM translated into today's EUR vs. today's EUR.

It tells me nothing.

How much gold were you able to buy with 1M DM when the car was sold for that money?
    And by the way, when in mid 90s?

Regards.
    Cris.-

22. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    I think your question is valid if restated a different way. What is the ultimate matrix of the various GTOs for desireability. Yes, the provenance of race wins, and which wins they are, who drove the car, how much of the original car remains and even who performed the restoration all matter. It is not quanitfyable as XXXX car is worth 1mil more than the other but it would be that XXXX car is more historically significant and if ever given the opportunity XXXX would be the first choice.

Jeff

23. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    #98 cheesey, Jun 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
    how about if we make the assumption that a new GTO originally cost $35,000

gold was pegged (fixed) at $35 by the US gov't through most of the 60's

1000 oz gold would buy a GTO in the 60's

that GTO would be worth $1,600,000 based on gold being currently valued at $1600 oz (reflecting inflation / loss of buying power of the dollar )

however, a GTO sold for $35,000,000 or by a factor of approx 22, which represents the value that the collectors have bid the price up to, above the increase by currency inflation alone

24. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    #99 Enigma Racing, Jun 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dear Onno

Just returned to Farrari Chat and I am pleased to see you are still an active contributor to the site and have stopped banging on about replicas (ignoring the SWB comment of a couple of weeks ago). Please remember my invitation to test drive my car followed by lunch at Neil Twyman restorers still stands. You remember Neil from the Tribute and he continues to look after my "racing fake tdf".

I will add to the discussion on the GTO sold to Craig McCaw by your fellow Dutchman, Eric Hereema. The car is one of five GTO's restored by Neil, compared to 1 by Classiche, enough said !

Here is a picture of Neil, the car and Ken Gregory (first owner and team manager). Ken and Stirling Moss's father set up UDT Laystall race team. Stirling drove but never raced the car. He was due to drive the car in the 1962 Goodwood TT but was badly injured in a crash practicing for the Glover Throphy in the morning of the race. Innis Ireland took the seat and won the TT but the accident ended Stirlings career. Because Stirling only drove the GTO in practice there was no photographic evidence that it was his car. However, when Neil took the car apart he found the name Moss scratched by the factory on the seat tub together with the chassis number proving the connection.

Ken told me that after wining the TT in the Walker SWB the previous year, Enzo's was doing everything to persuade Stirling to drive for Ferrari, including flying him out to the factory fo seat fittings. Enzo's plan was for Stirling to race a works Ferrari Formula 1 car, in the Rob Walker Racing colours, Ken's GTO in the light green and in addition he would also be given a Ferrari 246S sports car to drive. Sadly the crash ended all that.

The other lovely story was of the Lotus 18 that ended Stirlings career. The car was sold by Rob Walker to Ken and repainted light green. Three months after the accident Ken telephoned Rob Walker to ask why he had not sent an invoice for the car. Rob replied that there was no charge as he thought it was not acceptable to charge for a car that poor Stirling had been injured in. Those where the days !!!!

Otherwise, the chassis colour created a big argument. When Neil removed all of the chassis plates he found that the chassis was originally painted gold but overpainted black. Neil removed all of the black paint to expose the original colour and retained it. However, subsequently, Messrs Pourret and Bluemel disagreed and stated that Ferrari NEVER painted a chassis black. The evidence said otherwise but Eric went with the "experts" and has had the chassis repainted.

Sadly 3505 is the second UK based GTO to go to America in the last three months which makes two less in the Goodwood Paddock this year. My tdf will be featuring again but sadly Neil's TR replica will not as it has been sold to a well known collector for $1.2m. No doubt a record for a "fake" but a fraction of the $16m paid for 0666TR last year which in my humble opinion was a less original looking car. Opps sorry, I do not want to start that arguement again !

Kind regards

Kim
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. The Kook Abides

The Kook Abides F1 Rookie

Jan 4, 2011
    Watch this $35,000,000 missed shift at the start. I must admit, I did it once.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb1esLHgrVE[/ame]