250 SWB Comp Re-Creation | Page 2 | FerrariChat

250 SWB Comp Re-Creation

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by Zedtt, Apr 6, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    Well said Rob.

I happen to like the car. To me, it's not so much about the history when it comes to GT cars, and more about the driving experience. GT cars are for driving, not displaying. If this Ferrari-stye retrofit makes it more akin to a real SWB, It will undoubtedly be much more fun to drive.

2. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    And what exactly has that got to do with butchering a nice GTE? There are many, many cars that are fun to drive without having their chassis' cut and their original bodies removed. Please, pick one of those and stay away from vintage Ferrari's.

3. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    I see no reason why anyone who wants to can't have a reproduction of the Mona Lisa on their wall.
    There's no reason to paint over an original Da Vinci to make it though.

4. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    Well, aparently, in the end it is all about business and therefore M O N E Y. And what is heritage when you want a car that is fun to drive, right? Of course I am being sarcastic, but I just can't wrap my head around the thought that it is OK, or even applaudable, to destroy a perfectly good Ferrari just so you can have a car that is fun to drive (like a GTE isn't fun to drive, but hey...).

Perhaps the distinction is between those who love cars (case in point: vintage Ferrari's) and those who love to drive. You can belong to both groups, but if you belong to the group of people that love to drive ánd you feel it is ok to cut up a vintage Ferrari to fulfill that need, than you cannot belong to the group that truly love cars.

5. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    Go to the giftshop at The Louvre and get one for a few EURO's. Same goes for cars that are fun to drive: they are pretty easy to come by. You don't even need to bring a boatload of cash. There is no need to cut up a vintage Ferrari. Or any car for that matter.

6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    +250

7. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    I'm happy to not cut up another GTE, as it's too much work, but I can buy any rebody I want to. If I stay away, it will be my decision, not yours.

8. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    You did read the second line of my post, didn't you?

9. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    I did. I just went out of my way to agree with you. Sorry bout that.

10. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    ;)

Not everyone here appreciates nuance.

11. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    Well, to be honest, with their history, one could argue that Fantasy Junction is the premiere dealer of quality replicas, rebodies and recreations across a range of marques...

Available Cars:

Conversion

Rebody

Replica

Replica

Sold Cars:

Replica

Replica

Rebody

Replica

Replica

Replica

Continuation Car

Rebody

Replica

Rebody (Interesting car, '52 212 rebodied in '65 by Drogo as Cal Spyder)

Upspec/Clone

Rebody

Recreation

Recreation

Recreation

Replica

Upspec/Clone

Replica

Rebody

Upspec/Clone

Replica

Upspec/Clone

Replica

Upspec/Clone

Replica

Replica

Recreation

Upspec/Clone

Continuation

Continuation

Replica

Replica

Replica

Replica

12. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    fantasy cars........like Disney

13. thecheddar

thecheddar Formula 3

Jun 29, 2006
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Cheddar, The
    I'm getting fed up with this childish desire to put cars in little boxes with labels rather than discuss the merits of their machinery like adults.

Replicas/re-creations exist, period. Some (but certainly not this one) are more true to form than the "originals." With Ferrari 12-cylinder powerplants at heart (typically), I don't care what the shape du jour is. It's vintage Ferrari-related and it's worth discussing like a grown-up.

Or skipping entirely if you can't.

14. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

very well said!

15. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Absolutely. In my sugestion for a "replica" category I state that the paperwork and body badge must list not only the s/n of the donor chassis but also the s/n of the engine being used. just one man's opinion tongascrew

16. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Good point. And immition crab meet doesn't really taste like the real thing. Also note the lable must also read "imitation". Very important. Same should apply to "replica" Ferraris. just one man's opinion tongascrew

17. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Buyers (few of them children) pay big money for authenticity because they value it above all else: i.e., those "little boxes" matter.

I don't quite know how a fake would be "truer to form" than an original, but I'm more interested in cars Ferrari built than in cars some guy built using Ferrari parts and copying someone else's design.

I appreciate that kit cars/replicas have a following, but those followers have different priorities. A drive in a fake 250 GT SWB is pretty meaningless, IMHO.

Glad to see the replicas 'outed' here for the record.

18. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    yes, and...

...yes!

19. master631

master631 Rookie

Mar 5, 2012
    re-creation of what?was this car a GTO with the body of a GTE?no,the right name is camufflage.In Italy there is the fashion to call the scavengers as ecological operators,but they work always with trash,nothing vs the craftmans and vs the right of the owner to do all that he want about his properties,before using the word recreation should wait for the GTE become rarer more than the SWB and GTO so he can recreate the GTE, will not be long: D
    wishes
    Salvatore Murgo

20. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    What a great post!! It took a while but this captures what this sub forum is all about. All aspects of the discussion are captured here and the door is still wide open. I am sort of the "catchall" type who has interests in all sides as long as the quality is of a high grade. The replica/reproduction of the 250 SWB which is the subject of this post is a fine example of this. However an important issue is missing. The fact that this car fooled people at an prominent car show begs the need for clear doccumentation on the car that it is not an original 250 SWB. A nice tastful chrome script stating "reproduction" or "repl;ica" on the trunk lid and the front of the hood would do just fine. tongascrew

21. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    A lot of people agree with you. MANY of these fakes have been for sale for many years and IMO at the price they're offered at will continue to be.

Best

22. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    The "fakes" suffer from the same resale fate as many customized machines do. It's hard to sell on one man's dream. Particularly at what it cost to realize.
    It's bad enough to lose an original. Worse when the result becomes an orphan, left to rot.

23. jjmcd

jjmcd Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2004
    With some exceptions, the people who are most into the historical aspects of these cars are hobbyists who tend not to actually own one of them, making the "enjoy the drive" aspect impossible.

24. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oGXZGZ1KZw[/ame]

25. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I'd scoop one up at the right distress-sale price and a have blast...don't give a RA about concours or show, no one else knows it's a fake.

I only hope that my old s/n 4509 got a nice rebody over being parted out.

What I'd really like is to see it emerge Classiche-restored to original.