Vintage section Fake/Replica/Recreation/Rebody discussion | Page 34 | FerrariChat

Vintage section Fake/Replica/Recreation/Rebody discussion

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by Julio Batista, Feb 9, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Be very careful what you assume. It can be dangerous to assume any car is authentic {depending on your definition of authentic} without reliable provenance. just one man's opinion tongascrew

2. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Caveat emptor fersure but is the assumption a priori that any advertised car is fake?

3. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    #828 Enigma Racing, Apr 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dear Onno

I am sorry that you are once again "disappointed" that the provenance of my car has not been made clear by a journalist. I told him it was rebodied but this was edited out in favour of my quotes about the racing.

I am very keen to avoid your future disappointment when I am out with my car ?

What about sending me a T shirt I can wear when ever I am out with my car proclaiming the car to be "Engine and Chassis 1069GT rebodied by Franco Ferrari as a 250GT Berlinetta using original parts". This will avoid me having to provide an explanation and insure that the facts are included with each picture.

Otherwise, please accept my open invitation to test drive the car should you find yourself in London.

Kim

PS: I was photographed while out last sunday and sent this picture. The T shirt idea may not work all of the time !
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Hey

Having been misquoted by Journalists myself I understand your frustration with that.

As for what your car is and isn't as it's fully disclosed I have no problem with it as you've made yourself happy. Other's feel differently but such is life.

I am surprised that Ferrari would allow it to be in the MM Tribute. Could you give us some insight on that?

Cheers

5. MSPV12

MSPV12 Karting

Jun 18, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Falls under 'buyer beware' doesn't it? Do your research and ask questions. If you are lied to, a case can be brought easier than if you didn't ask and they didn't offer......

6. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    If there was a system out there you could just put "replica" on your T shirt and everyone would understand what 1069GT is all about. just one man's opinion tongascrew

7. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Replica Body to be precise. I would hate someone to think it was a Pontiac

8. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Beautiful car-no T-shirt needed.

9. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    wut wut wut....? Just enjoying something for what it is? Can't have that here!

10. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    beautiful car Kim .....enjoy it without regret, and ignore the envy of those who aren't or can't :D :D

11. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    if you think it's envy, you haven't been paying attention.

12. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    then pay attention between the lines, you'll figure it out

13. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    This threads discussion is not about envy at all ... weird.

Pete

14. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    You should not be held responsible for an "edited out" Had there been an official "replica" doccument available and given to the reporter you would have a case. The problem has always been and continues be that loose lips sink reliable data. just one man's opinion tongascrew

15. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Look, Ferrari doesn't seem to care about displaying misrepresented cars in the Galleria. With that logic they should accept your car in their events. Of course if there was a Certificate for Replicas then your car and many other great Replicas could openly participate and be judged and enjoyed for what thay are. just one man's opinion tongascrew

16. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    really? enlighten me.

why is it that, on a forum by and for vintage Ferrari enthusiasts, the people who question the motives of those who make/buy fakes are the ones given the perjoratives like "purists" or "envious"?? It makes no sense to me.

I can guarantee you that the only thing I feel when I walk up to a car that purports to be a TdF or GTO and then start taking in the clues - motor tipo, s/n range, etc - that clue me in that I have been momentarily duped and that I am looking at the remains of a GTE, is NOTHING but sadness and frustration at why someone would butcher an original Ferrari. Envy is not on the list, my friend.

17. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Tonga perhaps you missed it. There was a legal action. Ferrari did not contest the fact that 0846's original chassis is in my car. 0846 was ruled to be 0846 and that fact can no longer be challenged legally by anyone. As an aside if you want to debate 0846 there is only one thread where that is allowed.

Of all of the cars in the world 0846 probably has more disclosure than virtually all of them.

0846 has been accepted and judged in many events through the world including Quail and Meadowbrook with full disclousure and has also been invited to and attended with full disclousure The Historic Targa Florio (Not Tribute but the main event) and The 24 Minutes of Daytona before the 24 hours of Daytona by Grand Am and Rolex.

18. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    ain't that the truth!

19. maserich

maserich Karting

Mar 13, 2008
    What is 0627

20. naparsei

naparsei Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2005
    Land of Enchantment
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Apparently they are now called "Reconfigurations".

21. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Jim,sorry I was not refering to 0846. I was not aware this car was exibited in the Galleria. I was referring to a car exibited as a M.M. winner which wasn't and a 250 California which wasn't tongascrew

22. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    According to a magazine story at the most recent Kuwait concours both the original Bread Van and a replica appeared.
    I wonder if anyone was at all embarrassed?

23. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #848 rob lay, Apr 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    did the 308 Breadvan show up too? :D
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. VIZSLA