The official replica/re-creation thread | Page 73 | FerrariChat

The official replica/re-creation thread

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by WILLIAM H, Mar 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    So a '1970' 512M with new chassis, body, gearbox and engine should we discuss here?
    Or is it a fake and should be moved to new thread FAKES.........

OOh and what to do with a 250 GTO with GTE papers, but with new maded chassis and with a new made Ferrari V12 engine.
    And using only some real parts like Marchal headlights and some switches (which are the same as on many Fiat's and Alfa's)

Its a never ending discussion

:)

2. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Tom,

Neither of these should have a Ferrari chassis number.

3. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers

But if you don't give them a F number: no classic racing at LM Classic, Ferrari races, etc
    and when having a 250 GTO road registration is needed when you like to drive on public roads, so you need F papers (GTE papers for example) with correct numbers.

Don't you think in a corrupt country you cant get 'real papers'?; just pay the lires oops euro's

4. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus

5. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Drachmas might be easier;)

Regards, Alberto

6. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Have they been printed yet?

Seriously though, of course this is being done, we all know it, and I don't think anyone takes offense to this thread existing within the vintage-realm. It's an every day reality.

Only yesterday I heard about a Maserati QP-1 broken for 450S replica built, how far does one want to take this? It's certainly not unique to the Ferrari-world. Money talks also within the Alfa world, the Abarth world, the muscle car world, the corruption is everywhere. Don't stick your head in the sand, expose it.

7. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    A long time ago, when living in the USA, I thought it a good idea to take along my Alfa Jr. Z
    to California, but it was registered here as a '73, so an impossibility.
    I asked the local (here) DMV, if we could skip the '73 and put '67 on the registration and guess what?
    I now own the only '67 Jr. Z in the world, even before Alfa Romeo thought of making them!

The change was approved, as here everyone (corrupt) wants a newer car, not an older one.
    They thought I was not very smart, so they went along! No charge...no questions, what was the harm, right?

You are so right, Jack, corruption is way over the top.
    This country is one of them unfortunately, and at the end, we all pay for it.

Regards, Alberto

8. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Anyone?

9. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Alberto,

Off-topic, but please post some pics of the jr. Z. It is one of my all time favourite cars. Do you have the 1.3 or the 1.6?

Thanks,

Jack.

10. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    For more info on his subject go to the Vintage section Fake Replica..... Inparticular post #799. Comments and opinions appreciated. thanks just one man's opinion tongascrew

11. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Jack, mine is a 1600, # 327, now a 2.0 Liter race car. I don't think I should post it here, so please send me a pm with your e-mail and I'd me happy to oblige.
    Some hate it, some do not. Personally, I think it is great. Found it here in a used car lot, rare car, incredibly fun and predictable. Fortunately, I kept all the interior parts after the race conversion...
    Regards, Alberto

12. grifo350

grifo350 Rookie

Aug 24, 2006
    Ferrari 206 SP et 196 SP for sale

13. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB
    I may be talking out of school here...

If some of the reason why cars are being broken up to make replicas is that the replicas are only eligible to be raced if they have certain paperwork, does not some of the answer lie with changing the regulations to allow correct replicas the privilege of racing sans the paperwork?

I hope that made sense... migraine meds do my thinking abilities no good.

Shiny Side Up!
    Bill

14. AlfettaGTV

AlfettaGTV Karting

Nov 6, 2007
    A Coruna, Spain
    Full Name:
    Alvaro Seco
    #1814 AlfettaGTV, Mar 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi!

From He-Who-Cannot-Be-Named.

Ferrari 196 SP Reconstruction, Ferrari 2400 Dino engine , ex Fantuzzi, fantastic, very light and powerfull
    Price 1??900 Euro Price start by a 1 and if you want to known the final price , call me at 011 ** ********* or 00 33 *********
    Ferrari 196
    https://picasaweb.google.com/116817007370269901938/BarchettaDino?authkey=Gv1sRgCLLHwKLvtNLt1gE

Ferrari 206 SP Reconstruction Alloy Racing 206 Dino Ferrari Engine, magnesium gearbox, knock off wheels. Fantastic and very rare. Built by ex Fantuzzi people
    Price 1??900 Euro Price start by a 1 and if you want to known the final price , call me at 011 ** ********* or 00 33 *********
    https://plus.google.com/photos/116817007370269901938/albums/5723346395438957009?authkey=COeztdzngvC7lQE

Saludos.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess

16. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB
    Got it....

Makes sense. Also makes sense that whoever is involved making such decisions do so in order to protect the cars that remain unmolested before they are also made into replicas.

Thanks!

Shiny Side Up!
    Bill

17. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    The 512 I can't help you with. Not my area. The 250 GTO would qualify as a "reproduction" and a very expensive one with its Classiche built engine. To be a "replica" it must have all original period Ferrari parts or custom built period Ferrari parts such as the body and a badge showing the s/n of the chassis and the engine number. See post 780. just one man's opinion tongascrew

18. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    How about your replica? Have you put a replica badge on it?

Does it have Ferrari Badges?

19. ggjjr

ggjjr Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    George
    Jim,
    I think you're drilling down to the root on this one!

; )

George

20. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    A definition of unmolested needs clarification.Unmolested could apply to any car that has been nicely restored but does not have original tires, sparkplugs, engine wireing. paint and so many other areas of restoration. I am sure this is not what the writer has in mind.There will never be written conditions set on when a car should be restored or be laid to rest. Only the owner and the market place will descide this. The question then is if the market place goes with the "laid to rest" descision then what becomes of the car. The owner has three choices. Store the car away hoping the market place will change, lay the car away in the local grave yard, or arranging for the car to be reborn as a replica or reproduction. In most cases the grave yard option prevails. My vote is for the replica/reproduction descision. There will always be two schools of thought. An organized replica/reproduction format would do much clarify this and offer a viable option. just one man's opinion tongascrew

21. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    First of all my car is not a replica but a reproduction. A replica must have all Ferrari parts representing the period of the original mode. Except for the GTE seats and a few other "of the period" parts the rest is real Kit car.There are no Ferrari badges. On the hood is a small round plaque with Ferrari on it that originally came in a cereal box and on the trunk lid is chrome script reading "california special" above the usual Ferrari chrome script. There is no Cavallino on the front grill. The educated observer will know what's going on. Compliments on the car for what it is have been received from all quaters. just one man's opinion tongascrew

22. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus

Why have the Name Ferrari on your car at all when it's a pure reproduction?

It's not a Ferrari. Your remark "The educated observer will know what's going on." doesn't impress me.

23. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Hi Jim,I am not here to try to impress you though it appears my comments have done that to a degree possibly not intended. You are in a very unique position available to the very few. For the rest on us we can only try as best we can. just one man's opinion tongascrew

24. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    You still haven't answered:

"Why have the Name Ferrari on your car at all when it's a pure reproduction?"

Putting "Ferrari" on something that isn't a Ferrari doesn't impress me.

Driving any real sports car displaying badges that are are really what that sports car is does.