Taylor Ham, aka "Pork Roll". Who cant live with out it! | FerrariChat

Taylor Ham, aka "Pork Roll". Who cant live with out it!

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by KENCO, Jan 31, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    #1 KENCO, Jan 31, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    When I was growing up in New Jersey I was practically weened on this stuff.

Luckily I can get it still @ Publix here in Florida.

The best breakfast sandwich of all time, Taylor Ham Egg and cheese on a hard roll.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

SCFerrari likes this.
  2. rovingtravler

rovingtravler Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2004
    Clovis, NM
    Full Name:
    David
    MMM that looks so good!

I am from Jersey too and miss it all the time. I have had my parents send it to me in Korea, Gernmany, Alaska... pretty much anywhere I was stationed.

I have not seen it in Denver either.

3. Blown Z

Blown Z Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2006
    Wow that looks vey delicious! Having that on a buttermilk biscuit would be divine!

4. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    #4 KENCO, Feb 1, 2012
  5. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    #5 Nurburgringer, Feb 1, 2012
    We've got a 3lb log of Trenton Pork Roll in the freezer right now.
    Always bring one back when visiting the folks in Jersey, or they bring me some (along with a few blocks of Amish scrapple) when they come visit me in WI.
    Either Case, Trenton brand, or Taylor all work for me.
    Frying pork roll is right up there with bacon for best smell to wake up to.

For my wife's big birthday party 2 weeks ago I cut about a pound of PR into dice-sized cubes, browned in the oven, then served on toothpicks witha guiness, mustard, cheeze-whiz dipping sauce. No leftovers.

You're right BTW - pork roll, fried egg and cheese on a crusty roll is breakfast (or any meal really) of the gods.

Here's a pic from last summer, working our way through the last Roll.
    We had recently moved from our apartment downtown to our house, and since I didn't have a cooler to transport the contents of our freezer I made the ~7 mile drive in about 5 minutes. Felt like I was transporting a human organ to the hospital :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Never heard of it!? Is it like sausage or ham? Looks kind of like spam in the last pic!

carguyjohn350 likes this.
  7. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    IT IS NOT LIKE SPAM!!!!!!!!!!!! IT IS NOT SPAM!!!!!!!!!!!

NEVER WILL BE SPAM, SPAM IS A TURD COMPARED TO TAYLOR HAM!!!!!!!

It has a tangy unique flavor like nothing else.

It is a pork product shaped in to a log form and sliced, fried and served with eggs and many other things. It's roots hail from NJ and Philadelphia area and has bee around for over 100 years.

I have diced it up and took a bunch down to my local pizza place and they used it as a topping for me, that was a pizza to remember.

A slice on top of a burger with egg is good also.

8. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    #8 KENCO, Feb 2, 2012
  9. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Eaaaasy cobra!! Didn't mean to insult anyone but that's what that last picture looked like.

Sounds interestingly good.

:)

carguyjohn350 likes this.
  10. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Yummage to the tenth power!!!

11. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I'm not a fan of it (my wife is), but proud it's a Trenton, NJ product!

I started my career in Trenton (government) and it's definitely part of the city's lore...

12. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    Sorry, just flipped out a little..................

Others who like Taylor Ham understand where I am coming from. We hold it high up on the list of meat products.

13. BubblesQuah

BubblesQuah F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Charlotte
    Interesting.

A "New York" bagel/deli place opened a few months ago kind of out in the middle of nowhere - owned by NJ transplants. It is a very popular place.

A few weeks ago they had signs all over the place saying "We now have Taylor Ham!".

Was wondering what the big deal was.

So, you say it's like spam?

:D :D

14. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011

of course it's not SPAM that name is already trade marked and cannot be used

the ingrediants are similar, processed in similar fashion, has similar texture, it's processed pork,

it's like what "Kleenex" is to tissue

all of that stuff can be dangerous... with 75% of calories coming from fat, with salt content comming close to reaching 10% by weight

15. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    LOL @ "Dangerous". Wasn't it the Atkins diet that said a large % of calories from fat was a good thing?
    And how is that any different than any other "fatty" sausage?

16. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross

I, for one, happen to like Spam. I can't comment on taste of this Taylor roll but suspect it would be similar and am anxious to try it.
    Yes, yes, processed meat "products", lots of fat and salt, mabe lips and a-holes too. Dangerous? Come on, you're not eating it for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

17. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    Spam has a lot more liquid content in it, Taylor Ham is much more like ham when it is cooked.

18. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    I've never had it, or spam either. But why wouldn't you just have ham? What is in it that makes it better?

19. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    #19 cheesey, Feb 7, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
    nothing unless one likes eating excessive amounts of fat and salt,

same size portion of ham has 50 calories while the spam has 180 and the salt can be measured by weight ( 8+% )

it's processed pork parts / trimmings that one would not normally find in the butcher's display case... nothing wrong with eating the bits and pieces , it's that lean cuts are healthier, it's that our diets are maxed out with fats and calories,

20. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    STOP THE PRESSES!!!!
    You have NEVER had Spam???

Sorry I don't believe you.

21. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    No I have never tried it. I was raised to stay away from spam, and many other processed foods that aren't good for you. My parents wouldn't allow it and later in life I saw it being taken out of a can and it didn't look very good so I never wanted to eat it. What is odd is now my mother eats a lot of junk food. My dad still eats very well.

I still don't understand why it is even made, if you want to eat something that taste of ham just eat ham. Why eat a processed ham with added fat and salt?

22. alfas

alfas Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2009
    chicago
    Mom's from Jersey & Dad's from NY.

Grew up with this and love it to this day...

Fortunately there is a source here in Chicago for it that keep's us in it as a treat.

Cut up in mac and cheese is another habit forming strategy for this as well as my favorite on a croissant... don't need an egg or cheese.

MMMM have a couple in the freezer upstairs, may have to thaw one and cook some up...

23. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Please forgive my confusion as I meant no disrespect. I do not eat it either but have while growing up poor and my mom still eats it every now and then and it is best when grilled in a pan. SPAM basically fed alot of troops from WWI and WWII and it is still a staple in the Hawaiian diet.

Apology 'Taylor Ham' I digressed.

24. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    Ham is boring.

Taylor Ham is the spice of life that is missing from regular ham. Tangy goodness that keeps you coming back for more.

25. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    This. It's all about the taste.

Nothing wrong with ham, but there's more to a pig than just the choice bits and I likewise appreciate the use of "scraps" for sausage, head cheese, cheeks, liver, Andouille, scrapple, blood sausage, knuckles etc instead of throwing them away. To do that is very wasteful and disrespectful to the animal IMO.

I tried Spam once a loooooong time ago out of curiosity, like someone else said it's watery-er and doesn't have spices like pork roll.