NSX owners (or previous owners) on FChat? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

NSX owners (or previous owners) on FChat?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by DCNSX, Jan 11, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    That is beyond fantastic, congrats!!

2. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    That's the way to do it. Totally stock...why modify these cars?

Congrats - if I snag one of these it would NEED to be stock.

3. 308geo

308geo F1 Rookie

Nov 13, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    George Benton LaFleur
    I can pretty much already tell you how the two compare having years ago first taken my 308 to a dealer that had an NSX for sale to "test drive" it (spelled: joy-ride...pull up in a Ferrari & they ask no questions), then having been provided a rental NSX for a week when my 308 was in the shop (compliments of my insurance company at the time), test driven quite a few more during my buying search, and also having use of the company NSX for the last year going to car shows & local meets. This ain't my first rodeo, just my first NSX. :)

Anyway...IMHO, the two seem very well matched...almost like the NSX is a modern, more refined 308. Both are very balanced and handle like they are on rails, but seem just a tad under-powered. You can feel what the press says...that they are more of an overall successful package of weight, handling, balance, style, features, and speed...but neither is intended as a straight-line drag car off the line. However, the NSX does have more low end thrust due to the VTEC system that the 308 lacks.

Don't get me wrong, both pull great, but sometimes you want just a tad more. They're both plenty fast, more than enough fun to enjoy, and have striking, almost timeless styling. I feel both can be used as daily drivers for sure, but I might tend to trust the NSX more so in that respect.

The NSX: as luxurious as a BMW, as tame as a Civic in traffic, every bit as much fun as a Ferrari 308/328/348 on the highway, maintenance costs not too much more than an Accord, all with Japanese bullet-proof reliability, dependability, and value.

The Ferrari 308/328/348: a vehicle for flat out fun, handling, panache, racing history, and pure adrenalin pumping...you know, a FERRARI!

Yes, I include the 308/328/348 because the NSX has a leg up on the 308/328, and it matched the 348 (embarrassing it slightly) when the two were compared back in the very early '90's.

I wish I could have both at once right now, but I'll enjoy the NSX for now and get another Ferrari later. This will probably help me when I go buy another Ferrari...I won't be so impatient to get a fun driver that I over-look something and get caught making a poor buying decision (paying too much, forgetting to consider possible expensive needed repairs, etc...)

4. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    #104 LightGuy, Jan 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
    ^ Good stuff !
    I like the pure 91 to 94 model as well.

Its been said by many, including Senna, that the original lacked 100 HP. Thanks to the idiot gentlemans agreement between the Japanese mfgs of the day that limited HP to 300.

There are "cures".
    GruppeM intruduced one of the first superchargers for the NSX almost as it came out. A little convoluted but kind of neat.
    Comptech introduced a factory approved/ dealer installed unit which is pretty bulletproof that added 80 HP. Later versions added more.
    I have a Baasch unit sitting in a box (the best looking IMO and still gets the job done) but I may go turbo.
    The new turbo set ups are phenominal and reliable. If you wish they can look completely stock looking from the top of the engine compartment. About 5 grand and will outperform any supercharger.

I added 17/18 Technomagnesio wheels which look iconic on the car. They were the "It" wheel back in the 90's that still look current today.
    If you lower it 1" the whole set up looks like a 2012 if thats important.
    Easy to bring back to stock.
    Have fun and congrats on a find

5. sca037

sca037 Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2009
    Northville, MI
    Full Name:
    Brian
    George, thanks much for the comparo (not your first rodeo, indeed!)

We have 2 early (both 1992) coupes, the red one is mostly stock and the matte purple one is wildly turbocharged.
    Jeckyl and Hyde you might say.

[​IMG]
    IMG_1316 by NSXbrian, on Flickr

LoveFab (here in Michigan) can get you 400 turbocharged WHP in a stock looking car, probably around $13K or so ;^D

Brian

6. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    $13K+ :eek: !!!

7. sca037

sca037 Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2009
    Northville, MI
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Yeah, I hear 'ya......not exactly cheap, but transforming a super car into a supercar generally isn't.
    That's on stock internals (thanks Honda for titanium con rods ;^), we're at 600 whp on a built motor for a bit more than that.....

Brian

8. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    400rwhp is awesome on stock cast pistons Brian and yepper the titanium rods were an unexpected upgrade, if you will, on a production car and reliable hp does not come cheap. I kinda choked at first on the cost but then thought back too my shattered 'cast' piston in my MR2T and the $4K rebuild but that included JE's etc etc.

A friend of mine who purchased a stock GTO 'Judge' pulled the original engine and dropped in a bigger engine but the point was keeping the OE engine intact and running, I would consider doing the same thing with an NSX.

Come on Lotto!!!!

9. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    The Love-Fab is a proven,factory installed, and powerful system but there are less expensive yet idiot proof systems.
    Here is the one I'm contemplating;
    http://nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116229
    $6800 complete.
    Simple install.
    Then tuning.
    Tuning is an important factor and perhaps critical if you want 400 HP.
    400HP is said to be the limit with cast pistons and original fuel pump and 300FtLb torque on a stock clutch.

10. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #110 4re Nut, Jan 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Tuning is everything and especially so with an engine not intended to see any kind of forced induction and aswell the $6800 cost is more inline with what I was thinking and I would never consider a supercharger over a turbo but thats just me. That kit is actually a very well thought out package and I would have no issue with shelling out those clams. I have pieced together a few turbo setups in my time and saved thousands of dollars and got the satisfaction of having a hand in the kit and its installation.

12. Robert_Loo

Robert_Loo Rookie

Jan 13, 2012
    New York City/Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Robert Loo
    #112 Robert_Loo, Jan 18, 2012
    Just stumbled upon this thread, I am an NSX owner myself and shipped mine from New York all the way to Honolulu Hawaii. Now that im back here in New York im looking to get myself into a F355. Doubt i'll ever sell my NSX, they have a combined balance of timeless styling, amazing reliability and practicality all in an exotic car. Its been so cold here during the last week, at least my car is enjoying the sunshine 5000 miles away.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. sca037

sca037 Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2009
    Northville, MI
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Welcome Robert, glad to have you here!

Brian

14. sca037

sca037 Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2009
    Northville, MI
    Full Name:
    Brian
  15. philt68

philt68 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2008
    new york city
    i've always liked the nsx..i'm wondering if anyone can tell me if the changes they made after 97 (98?) made it a much better car..

i'm definitely a fan of the original body style, with the pop up lights..much cleaner!

thanks

phil

16. 308geo

308geo F1 Rookie

Nov 13, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    George Benton LaFleur
    I don't know if it a "better" car, faster maybe with the 3.2 engine & 6 speed, but there are many that thought the originals were better cars.

Gotta disagree...I thought the fixed head lights they swiped off the shelf from the Misterb!tchy 3000GT/Dodge Stealth were a horrible idea.

As far as what else they did....

Changes for 1997

Three new colors: Kaiser Silver, Monte Carlo Blue, Spa Yellow
    Dropped colors: Brooklands Green Pearl, Midnight Pearl
    Coupes can be special ordered with either a black top or a body color top; -Ts still have body colored roofs
    New wheel color on all wheels: Blades Silver (a bright machined/brushed looking finish)
    Larger front and rear brake rotor diameters and rotor thickness. The bracket and the rotors are the major change
    Front caliper pistons went from 40mm and 36mm to 40mm and 34mm.
    Larger engine displacement (bore increased from 90mm to 93mm) from 3.0L to 3.2L on manual transmission cars. Model number for new engine is C32B1.
    Horse power increase from 270 hp to 290 hp and torque increase from 210 lbs-ft to 224 lbs-ft (manual tranny)
    Different exhaust manifolds, now stainless steel and free breathing
    Different cylinder linings, fiber reinforced (FRM)
    Larger intake valves, 36mm
    Different head gaskets
    Larger connecting rod bearings
    Increase of piston pin diameter from 22mm to 23mm
    Numerous emission control system changes
    Six speed manual transmission
    Double synchros on 3rd and 4th gears (A61)
    Lockout of reverse gear above 12mph
    Dual-disc clutch changed to a single disc clutch
    Dual mass flywheel
    Larger diameter spare tire to clear new brakes
    Stronger, thinner aluminum body panels
    Heat absorbing glass instead of bronze glass
    Immobilizer anti-theft system with coded key using an electronic transponder. No more all-metal keys.
    Ignition switch light went away to make room for the immobilizer antenna.
    Improved NVH (Noise Vibration and Harshness)
    The final gear ratio does not change, so 6th gear in the 1997 NSX results in 6.9% higher vehicle speed than 5th gear in the 1996 model.
    New aluminum alloy in selected body areas to reduce weight and increase rigidity
    Larger spare tire size (from 15 in to 16 in diameter)
    Refined electronic power steering control
    Revised shape of the front spoiler
    Refined ABS braking system
    Improved Traction Control System (TCS) with new control logic
    1997 Prices (MSRP)
    Coupe 4-speed Automatic or 6-speed Manual $84,000 + destination and handling $725.00
    NSX-T 4-speed Automatic or 6-speed Manual $88,000 + destination and handling $725.00

Changes for 1998

No official changes, though throttle computer was changed.
    1998 Prices (MSRP)
    Coupe 4-speed Automatic or 6-speed Manual $84,000
    NSX-T 4-speed Automatic or 6-speed Manual $88,000

Changes for 1999

Limited production Zanardi Signature NSX available
    1999 Prices (MSRP)
    Alex Zanardi Edition NSX 6-speed Manual $84,000 + destination and handling $745.00
    Coupe 4-speed Automatic or 6-speed Manual $84,000 + destination and handling $745.00
    NSX-T 4-speed Automatic or 6-speed Manual $88,000 + destination and handling $745.00

Changes for 2000

Discontinued colors: Kaiser Silver, Monte Carlo Blue Pearl, Formula Red
    Introduced colors: Silverstone Metallic (slightly lighter than Kaiser Silver, darker than Sebring Silver), Monaco Blue Pearl (slightly lighter than Monte Carlo Blue Pearl), New Formula Red (slightly darker than Formula Red)
    Seats, door insets, and steering wheel get perforated leather (not perforated suede like the Zanardi edition)
    Improved anti-lock brake system (ABS) (computer software change)
    Improved manual transmission shifting
    Acura "A" logo marks on wheel centers
    Added onboard fueling vapor recovery system
    Engine now meets Low Emission Vehicle (LEV) standard
    No scheduled tuneups for 100,000 miles
    2000 Prices (MSRP) and Info
    4 Year / 50,000 Mile Warranty

Changes for 2001

Changes for 2002

New Colors: Long Beach Blue Pearl, Imola Orange Pearl
    Discontinued Colors: Monaco Blue Pearl
    Added Interior Colors - Available with matching exterior color only: Yellow, Silver, Blue, Orange, White. Red is available with both red and black exterior.
    New interior trim color: Aluminum Color (Center console, door inserts, and Gauge Cluster Bezel).
    White stitching used on interior dash
    Steering turns lock-to-lock up to 3.24 from 3.07
    Wheel sizes changed to 17 x 7" front and 17 x 9" rear.
    Tire sizes changed to 215/40ZR/17 front and 255/40ZR/17 Rear
    Rear track increased 1/2" from 60.2" to 60.7"
    Yokohama A022 no longer OEM tire - Bridgestone Potenza RE050 H0 replaced RE010 as new OEM tire
    Appearance updated - Fixed HID headlights, new front, new lip on trunk, new ground effects beneath doors, black mesh vents (changed from ribbed)
    Coupe option discontinued in the U.S. (available elsewhere)
    Press release from Honda before 2002 model introduction:
    The NSX has earned its status as one of the world's premier exotic sports cars with a combination of head turning performance and contemporary styling. For 2002, the NSX's styling has been updated to modernize its look and its chassis was refined to ensure its competitiveness as a true world class sports car. The NSX features all-aluminum construction and is powered by an advanced 290 horsepower DOHC, VTEC, V-6 engine coupled to a 6-speed close-ratio manual transmission. When equipped with the optional 4-speed automatic transmission with Sequential SportShift(TM), the NSX engine generates 252 horsepower.
    2002 NSX Color Card for US
    2002colors.jpg (46560 bytes)

Changes for 2003

Rear sway bar size increased from: 17.5 mm to 19.1 mm. Wall thickness remains at 2.3 mm

Changes for 2004

US Colors: Long Beach Blue Pearl, New Imola Orange Pearl, Grand Prix White, New Formula Red, Rio Yellow Pearl, Silverstone Metallic, and Berlina Black. Each of these colors can be matched to a corresponding interior color for a personalized look or ordered with a conventional tan or black leather interior.
    Now standard equipment instead of options: Keyless entry, CD changer in trunk
    Redesigned shift knob
    Removal of passenger side power door lock switch.
    Gauge Cluster bezel color change: from "Aluminum" to dark gray.
    MSRP $89,000 + destination and handling $745.00
    Interior gauge faces changed from black to dark blue

Changes for 2005

Manual transmission/double synchros added to 5th and 6th gears (E61)
    CD changer now MP3 compatible [2004 change?]
    Factory alarm now gives audible *beep* when activated via key FOB (second time button depressed)
    "NSX" emblem on door handle color changed to silver [to be confirmed - 2002 change?]

17. sca037

sca037 Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2009
    Northville, MI
    Full Name:
    Brian
    OK, George nailed all the changes in the post above!

For me the biggest changes were the 6-speed transmission which kept you in VTEC in the 1-2 shift (the USDM 5-speed had a big gap that let you drop below 6000rpm going into 2nd), and the tubular headers that replaced the original cast iron exhaust manifolds.
    Honestly, the 3.2L engine was used to keep the car up to speed due to the additional weight of the Targa roofed models that were the standard car imported to the US after 1994.
    We had the factory tubular headers and a lighter aftermarket exhaust fitted to our essentially stock 1992, and I would say it's easily as fast as the later cars with the 3.2L engine.

Let's put it this way, they are all great driving cars so don't worry about all the little detail differences!

Brian

18. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch
    Thank you SO much for sharing these pictures. Do you have any additional ones? It is pretty cool to see these protoypes 'in process'. Did you happen to stay to see them run at all?

19. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch
    I am on my third one. Started with a 1992 Sebring Silver/Onyx, then went to a 1991 Berlina Black/Ivory, and now have a 1994 Grand Prix White/Onyx that I plan to keep for as long as I am breathing.

The 1992 was a daily driver for a few years, then it was traded for a Porsche 993 Carrera 4 Cabriolet (huge mistake). Then the 1991 was purchased about a year later and I kept that car for around 9 years. A couple of years into ownership of the 1991 I bought my 1994 and had both NSXs for around 6 years together. The 1991 was sold because I simply stopped using it, as I was totally in love with my 1994.

So my 1994 has been my daily driver in sun/rain/sleet/snow for just over 10 years now, and I have over 182,500 miles on it and absolutely love it as much now as I did on the first day. Over a total of around 18 years of NSX driving and ownership, it is hands down the best car that I have ever owned.

20. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
  21. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Stumbled across this video when viewing the one posted above...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53c6o_cNPEo[/ame]

Wow.

22. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I agree that is a very sweet combo, congrats.

23. sca037

sca037 Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2009
    Northville, MI
    Full Name:
    Brian
    #124 sca037, Mar 20, 2012
  24. effer

effer Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2004
    near Montréal
    Full Name:
    François R.
    #125 effer, Mar 20, 2012
    I still have my 1991 NSX and love this car!

You can see it in this thread:

My Red Cars - Photoshoot 1 - July 2010

Here is the first picture:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login