What towns in NC mtns for 2nd home? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

What towns in NC mtns for 2nd home?

Discussion in 'North & South Carolina' started by SCantera, Jul 18, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Robert,

If I were a builder in NC I could do it in 7-8 months. That is how long it takes us to do it down here. Having built 800 homes I am kinda getting the hang of it. But I am also a realist. I will figure 12 months. If we break ground in May the home should be "closed in" before wet and cold weather hits. And coming out next spring when the home nears completion will be perfect for completing the final sitework/landscaping.

What the pic does not show is a detached garage w/ a guest suite above. We are considering pushing to build that first so we have a place to stay while the main house gets done. Will have to see how pricing and builder selection goes before I go that route.

2. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    JR,

Hey.....I ain't crazy!! There is a 2 car attached.....it's a side entry so you don't see the doors on the front elevation. And there is a 2 car + shop area detached garage w/ a guest suite above.

Not to worry I have my priorities straight.

3. judgejohn

judgejohn Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2010
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    John
    I am also a Floridian who has acquired a home in North Carolina. IMHO, it is the antidote to Florida. After years of searching in the Blowing Rock - Banner Elk - Boone area, we bought a house in Deep Gap just off the Blue Ridge Parkway. Its 20-25 minutes to Blowing Rock on the parkway and 15 minutes to Boone - maybe 30 minutes to Banner Elk. We bought at about 3,300 feet with a southern exposure. Long range layered mountain views that extend to perhaps 100 miles on a clear day. I would strongly recommend the area as it is beautiful and there are bargains available. Only drawback for me is a dirt road to access the property. Don't plan on driving my Aston Martin or the Ferrari that I hope to purchase down that gravel-covered expanse. If you wash a car at your house it is dirty by the time you get out of your driveway. I keep a beater car up there. Good luck on your search.

4. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I really appreciate your inclusion of a guest space over the garage!
    :D
    BT

5. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Judgejohn,

I agree that the mtns of NC are a big draw for us Floridian flatlanders. I made paved roads a parameter for property selection. I plan to leave one or 2 fun cars in Blowing Rock just so I can stretch their "legs" on the back roads.

It was an option for me to purchase an existing home. As you noted there are some compelling deals to be had in the market. But as a builder it is in my blood to create my own even if it costs more.

Maybe we can connect some time in BR.

Best
    Steve

6. adamRSmith

adamRSmith Rookie

Jun 4, 2008
    Steve, give me a call and I can answer almost any questions you have about almost any town in WNC including elevation, roads, access, you name it.

Talk to ya soon,
    Adam

P.S. hope you got the letter I mailed to ya:)

7. ROULEUR

ROULEUR Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2008
    Atlanta, Ga
    Full Name:
    Chris C
    I like Highlands. My brother in law lives in Asheville, it is really nice. Lots of places around there that might work for you. I also like a place outside of Asheville called Lake Lure, you can get up on some elevation around the lake the affords some awesome views. Before you buy, you should sign up for a vintage road rally called The Carolina Trophy. The guy that runs it puts you through some of the most scenic roads around the Asheville area, stuff you might never see. That is how I found my way around up there. I have ridden my bicycle on some of the routes, it was a great learning experience for me. That is how I found Highlands. Beautiful state.

8. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Chris,

We have already recently purchased a 10 acre wooded site in Blowing Rock. We love the little town and the fact that it is surrounded by National Forest land. I considered Lake Lure. But I really wanted to be at elevation 3300 or above. I may be mistaken but I didn't think it got that elevated around Lake Lure. We also liked Highlands alot. It was our second choice after Blowing Rock.

I am aware of the Carolina Trophy. In fact on our recent Ferrari Club trip to Asheville we drove some of the roads that were on the Trophy route. Maybe I will sign up for a future CT rally......although I am more of a driver-sightseer. Definitely not a rally expert.

Your right North Carolina is a beautiful state.

best
    Steve

9. ROULEUR

ROULEUR Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2008
    Atlanta, Ga
    Full Name:
    Chris C
    Ha, its funny, I just saw that you are from Naples. I grew up there. As for the Trophy, I never did the "rally" class, I always did the "touring" class. That way you get the route book and have no timing parameters. You are probably right about elevation above Lure, I don't think it gets that high there. Congrats on the land, sounds like you are going to have a beautiful home up there.

10. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    #110 SCantera, Sep 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thought I would resurrect this thread to show the progress a year later. We are about a month away from completing the home. Here are a few pictures. The first is the front of the home and the second the view from the house. In the last picture you can see the completed guest house/garage in the background. We stay in the guest house while overseeing the construction. There is a Dino hidden in there.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    It looks great! I am sure you will love it once completed. I just got back from a mini vacation in West Jefferson, the weather was outstanding.
    :)
    BT

12. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    Are there any areas more akin to the outdoor crowd? I'm looking for more of a Jackson Hole WY vibe than a single malt scotch get nine holes in before noon kind of cadre. I don't think I'd want the amenities of a gated community (golf). Is there an area known or more geared to this type of lifestyle?

No offense to anyone who likes that kind of thing. To each his own..it's all good.

13. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Stuart...the mountains of NC are well suited to what you are seeking in outdoor activities. I am not into golf nor gated communities as it's just not my thing. For hiking, biking, camping, birding or whatever the area is full of opportunities. Surrounded by National Forest land the area has trails designated for hiking, biking, ATVs and horses. And to boot there are some of the best driving roads in the world [at least my world].

The house you see in the picture sits on 10 acres and is in a non gated community of 6 homes. Plenty of privacy and nature and only 1 mile from the middle of Blowing Rock. I had briefly considered a home out West, but traveling back and forth to FL would have been much more difficult. Family and work ties here in Naples ruled. The beautiful Blue Ridge mountains became the choice.

14. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    Thanks. Home looks great.

I'm somewhat familiar with the area and have been to the Cliffs and it's definitely not the vibe I'm looking for. From what i got driving around that and a few areas it was all golf and mountain people types. I'm not any kind of Granola snob either, hell i was born in West Virginia and my mother in NC. I had a place in Corolla NC (outer banks) and after going out to Colorado and Cali/WY etc. i just realized what i had grown up in and surrounded by wasn't my thing but still it feels like home. What i don't like about these areas is going into a town or village with your cargo pants and biking shirt on to have a beer and being looked at by the golf crowd as some kind of cretin. Don't want to go to the honky tonk bars either. I don't get this experience when in Boulder or Jackson Hole.

15. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    I live 30 mins outside Ashville - not sure if you have been to my house at one of the Ferrari events - the options are numerous - too many to explain here - pm me and i will send you my home phone # - be glad to have a detailed discusssion with you
    John E

16. Tinbender

Tinbender Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Raleigh,Lake Lure,NC
    Full Name:
    Terry W. Phillips
    Hi John,

Where are you? I am 45 mins. from Asheville in Lake Lure.

Best regards,
    Terry W. Phillips

17. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Terry
    I am 30 mins the opposite way - out by Lake Logan on the way to Waynesville

18. b4z

b4z Rookie

Apr 28, 2008
    Looks great. Did you use hardi panels and hardi boards for you board and batten siding?
    I've got a house in Hendersonville, NC that was moving along well until we ran into foundation problems.

19. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan

You should take a look at Burnsville, home of Mountain Air www.mapilots.org and the new scenic gateway to Mt. Michelle. Now is the time to purchase. I just brought a house on the courthouse steps at Mountain Air, and they will be auctioning off 975, 147, and 75 acres soon. This is a very neat community, especially Pensacola where the land is being auctioned. Thirty minutes from Asheville, and when they finish the four lane, access will be even easier. If you fly and want air access, you should consider Mountain Air. If you want acreage, now is the time to look. At one auction I attended, 325 acres sold for just 340K, and 165 in Weaverville sold for just 240, and it had two bungalows on it. We did not see the property, so did not bid, but in hindsight we should have brought it sight unseen.

20. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Gorgeous house Steve, but what else would one expect...

21. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Well, me in the drive way in about four hours! :p :p

22. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Speaking of mountain homes, take a look at this tour coming up. I bet Steve knows the Kempfers from Naples. They have a little Chalet at Mountain Air that will be on tour this weekend-only 26,000 feet!

http://www.citizen-times.com/article/20111001/HOMEGARDEN/310010008/A-welcoming-home-Yancey-County

http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Avis=B0&Dato=20110929&Kategori=PHOTO23&Lopenr=309290044&Ref=PH

I've seen this house and it is quite impressive. I hear that not only are they very accomplished interior designers, but their family made a lot of spaghetti.

23. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Dave..sorry I could not make the tour. It looks like an incredible home.

We have been up to our ears finishing our mountain home. We moved the furniture in yesterday. Tonight we will stay in the home for the first time. It is beautiful. Having built hundreds of homes I must say this is our best yet. My wife Kathleen has an innate talent for color and design. She turns our houses into beautiful and warm homes.

Still more work to do, but we are close. We will get together here some time.

24. DrStranglove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    May see you up there later tonight!

25. DrStranglove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Had a lovely glass of wine and tour in the new home. Simply wonderful Steve!!