Dino 00468 - The Mysterious Dino | FerrariChat

Dino 00468 - The Mysterious Dino

Discussion in '206/246' started by tx246, Aug 26, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    #1 tx246, Aug 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Alright, since we have another thread referenicng a Dino that was sold at auction in 8/11 that seems to be a little odd, I figured we need to separate this Dino from that thread and keep it in it's own thread.

Background: the Dino was sold at the Mecum Auction with the following description:

DESCRIPTION

- 1972 Ferrari Dino 246 GT
    - 195 BHP, 2,418 CC
    - 3 twin-choke Weber carburetors
    - 5-Speed manual transmission
    - Desirable covered headlamps
    - Daytona chairs
    - Becker Europa stereo
    - The first production Dino, the 206 GT, appeared in 1967 at Turin. It was the first mid-engine production car from Ferrari; marking the debut of a new Ferrari based Dino. For 1969, the Dino received a larger and more powerful 2,418 CC engine, with its reported 146 MPH top speed and race-inspired handling quickly impressing Ferrari enthusiasts. With production of approximately 2,800 GT coupes in total through 1974, the Dino 246 GT is the type of car that can anchor any serious collection
    - The striking 1972 Dino 246 GT in classic Red/Tan is offered with recent paint and interior

The REAL 00468 is a 1969 vehicle. This car is identified as a 72, which seems more correct. The Dino Register has what appears as the MYSTERY Dino surfacing in 1995 in GA. I am guessing the GA car is what is currenlty the topic of conversation.

What Dino is this really?

(Pictures are from Jim from the Dino auction results thread of August 2011 other than the first one which is from the Mecum site)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    The serial number portion is done with fresh stampings and the 246 gt portion is older, or so it appears.

The "4" stamping in 246 is different in style and design than the stamp in 00468.....

The rear curvature of the trunk lid is different than the body lines curvature.....

3. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I don't have my car handy for a comparison, but shouldn't we be seeing the passenger side dash vent in the interior shot?

4. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    #4 Pantdino, Aug 26, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
    1972 sounds right-my 02840 was a Euro delivery built in late 1971, titled as a '72, and looks the same inside and outside except my front bumpers curve into the grill opening and the front running lights have amber lenses, a la UK market.

5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #5 TheMayor, Aug 27, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
    I had 00908 and it had knock off wheels and was built in July 1970.

Mine also didn't have that idiotic Ferrari logo on the back!

There is no way that car is 468 IMO and someone should remove that horrible insignia from the back if they are going to offer it up for a premium price!

BTW: Who dented the air cleaner like that??? Did someone get mad and hit it with a wrench?

6. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Why would anyone change a SN?

Stolen?

Insurance write-off?

Cobbled together from various cars/parts?

7. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

any or all of the above.

And, did anyone check the stamping on the steering column? It should match.

Title?

Pretty mysterious stuff, but kind-a smelly if you ask me. PErhaps not the last owner, but one before that noodled the numbers. Wither way, if Mecum was any kind of expert, they'd know this car is not the serial number indicated.

D

8. Dino Club Germany

Dino Club Germany Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2008
    Germany
    Full Name:
    N. Schumacher
    #8 Dino Club Germany, Aug 27, 2011
    # 0468 would be a L- Series Dino with all the specific details.
    The Car on the pictures have none of them, not the suspensions, interieur, wheels etc.
    Front looks like an oval M- Series grille with E-Series bumers. Hood does not fit etc.
    The whole frame is different which can be also seen under the hood and the chassis number section.
    The Frame with the number goes more "curved" away from the fender than later M/E Series. Please compare to this L- Series #0746

[​IMG]

9. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Not applicable since it's a Euro model...only US models had SN stamped on the steering column cover. Euro models with the correct steering column cover don't have that flat area on top...they're round.

10. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    For an auction company to offer this with no explanation shows just how poorly they validate the cars before they go on the block.

Buyer beware... If this car had it's VIN changed at some time, someone is intentionally misrepresenting what they are selling.

11. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    I wonder if 00488, 00466 and 00486 are accounted for.........?

12. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    #12 Pantdino, Aug 27, 2011
    Here's the steering column SN stamping . NOS they got somewhere and tried to stamp? They should have just left it blank

I wonder what Mecum's liability here is if this is a stolen car, the rightful owner recognizes it and can prove it, and it is taken from the buyer and given back to the owner or his insurance company. I suspect Mecum would reimburse the buyer to prevent ugly headlines.

But then again if it were an insurance company that is out the money they would probably not be aware that it reappeared with a new number.

13. Dino Club Germany

Nov 10, 2008
    Germany
    Full Name:
    N. Schumacher
    I´m sure that under the new (over welded) metal plate with the wrong Vin No. the original number can be found. And if somehow removed any Scaglietti Build No. on the parts could tell the real Number..
    If the new owner wants to find out, he could...

14. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The most common reason for changing a VIN is because it was stolen. I'm not saying this car was stolen but at some point in it's past, someone surely must have done something shady here.

The real VIN may show why.

15. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Then that really makes this suspect.

If Euro cars don't have this plate, why does this car have one?

16. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    It could also be a "bitsa" car-- say you had one car with a crashed front and another car with a crashed rear and took the various usable pieces to make one car.

17. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Could this be Dino 06630?

In 1994, according to the Dino register, there was an auction of the Ed Weaver Estate.

Dino 00468, 01042, 01158, 01460 and 06630 are all Dino's that were associated with ed Weaver and this auction.

06630 is a Dino that also exists as a blue Dino GT in Germany.

Did 06630 (red) become 00468 to prevent confusion or maybe another motive?

Were parts of 00468 used? We know that 00468 would never have had a serial number column cover, but yet it does.

Why are there two 06630's (red and blue)?

The blue 06630 is noted with the serial number "06630/B600582" through the Dino Register. Even more interesting is the notation in 1982 about 06630 (blue).

06630 (blue) has noted "renumbered by Factory to B600582". I have never seen a number like this associated with any Ferrari. In 1973, it is noted as: "stolen in Italy" and in 1983 "retrieved".

00468 dissapears after the Weaver auction and reappears in June of 2011 in Tulsa, OK.

06630 (red) leaves the Weaver auction and stays in Indiana from 1994-2004. It then shows up in London for auction in 2004.

The Dino register has this notation for the London 06630 (red) auction : "offered at an Auction, reported to be stolen & retreived sometimes"

18. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    And then there is 01460 - maybe we have a winner

19. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    #19 HMB-Dino, Aug 27, 2011
    USA version steering column covers are readily available whereas Euro versions are nearly impossible to find (I bought the only one, a used one, that I could find). My 71 Euro Dino has the USA style steering stalk assy and the USA steering column cover. I'm told you may not be able to mix them w/o reworking the cover...I will find out when I get around to replacing mine. I hope not because even partially broken steering stalk assy's appear to be very expensive.

20. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Wouldn't having to replace the steering column indicate either a major, major accident or a "bitsa" car?

21. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    #21 HMB-Dino, Aug 27, 2011
    Not at all...maybe the original steering stalk broke (which apparently was quite common from various posts I've read) and it was easier to find and replace with a USA version stalk assy and steering column cover. Remember, we're just talking about the sterring column cover, not the steering column itself.

http://dino246blog.blogspot.com/2011/05/steering-control-stalk-things-get.html

22. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    #22 UroTrash, Aug 27, 2011
    I see, I thought it was the whole big column that had the stampings.

BTW, the stamping effort is so poor, I'd bet it was done while the cover was inside the car, tentative swings of the mallet so as not to break the windshield or have a close encounter of the mousehair type.

23. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    By "steering stalk assembly" do you mean the turn signal and light switches?
    If it is impossible to find new ones maybe the PO had to get a whole new US column.
    Yikes-- another thing to fear!!!

24. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    #24 HMB-Dino, Aug 27, 2011
    Yes, "steering stalk assy" = "assy that holds the light switch stalks and wiper stalk" (see pic of Euro assy). Used, partially broken ones (eg, attach point of a stalk is broken) are going for $600-800 on eBay.

25. Dino Club Germany

Nov 10, 2008
    Germany
    Full Name:
    N. Schumacher
    The pieces on your are the ones which get defect after all the years and are hard to find and expensive. But what is related to the VIN no. would be the part on my picture. The "housing" is made out of Aluminum and normallly never needs to be replaced. The cut outs for the stalks are a little different for the different 246b Series, but this can be modified manually.
    For me the only reason to put this "wrong" and not needed housing into the car is
    to make the VIN No. nore serious... See also the different stamping quality of the numbers..

[​IMG]