The rebuild of #40557 | Page 6 | FerrariChat

The rebuild of #40557

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by SlickMurphy, Nov 4, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    #126 full_garage, Apr 8, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
    David and I have had quite a few conversations about the car. Hard to exactly explain why I love them so much...

I have been advising people who come on here asking for advice about 400/412's to find one and DRIVE IT- they're very, very different than what people seem to expect.

Now my 400i is badass- it's got a scary loud Stebro free-flow system on it and it runs very, very strong- I'm in the opposite camp- I envisioned the car as the ultimate European GT- so I want to tone the sound down a bit and have had Timevalve make me a gorgeous OEM style SS exhaust for the car. (So if anyone is looking for an almost-new Stebro Free-Flow from the headers back with 200 miles on it- let me know before it goes up on ebay)

My 412 has a new OEM ANSA and it's rich and full and LOUD when you punch it but very tame on the highway- which to me is perfect.

I always tell people on the 355 side of things that taking the car out is "an event"- people take videos of you on the highway- they block your exit at gas stations and take pictures- they ask to see the engine- they want to know "Who are you?" and "How Much"- not so with a 400i- you're largely invisible and occasionally somebody asks about the car- in a nice way- That's what I like about them. I've picked my kids up at school in the 412 and we go out to dinner with the car-We can use it as a real car.

It's the kind of car you have to just LOVE- When I see the damned thing in the garage I can stare at it for an hour... It's so wrong in so many ways- yet so right.

As they say- to each his own- Now how about a nice 360 CS???

2. SlickMurphy

SlickMurphy Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2004
    Essex
    Full Name:
    David
    I currently own a 77' GTB with the earlier cam shaft profiles. I fell in love with that car in 1 mile and 6 years later I still grin like a school boy every time I fire her up. I am considering a 360 Spyder in some shade of blue.

In regards to the 400i. I have 7 PM's from people looking to buy it. There is so much $$ wrapped into the car and I need to work out a price. I think am going to shoot for a price of $34,999.00 when I list it. Oh, and yes, I am ready for the 5 figure bath for 30 days of ownership, but I made this bed so it's time to get the pajamas on.

Best,

David

3. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    it goes without saying that i'm disappointed David didn't fall in love with the car...but on to a new home she'll go.

where the sound is concerned, i've been pretty vocal over the years about how fundamentally important the carb noise is to me in my own 400...

and if you love that sound , you'll certainly miss it when you're behind the wheel of a CIS V-12...

but, make no mistake, the car does have the most glorious exhuast note...as loud as you could possibly go on a 400i without 'losing the plot'...

it's essentialy the same piston and head afterall, so to the passerby, the exhuast note is the same as a carbed car...and many decibals louder than stock...it's absolutely perfect, if i do say so myself.

nevertheless, as David's said, if the guy holding the wheel is used to an induction roar, well you just don't get that.

all the best D,

ciao

4. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    David,

Once my 330GT comes back from the body shop (soon, I hope...), you should meet me and give it a try (it is being done through Francois Sicard's shop in NE CT). I suspect it is more along the lines of what you had in mind when you were considering a Ferrari 2+2. It is quite a bit lighter feeling, much cruder (mid '60s vs. mid '80s) and has a nice set of downdraft webbers.

Regards,

Art S.

5. alastairhouston

alastairhouston Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    One things for sure thanks to both parties a great car out of a really first rate project. Well done.
    Regards
    Alastair

6. SlickMurphy

Aug 18, 2004
    Essex
    Full Name:
    David
    I have received more than a few IM's regarding my car for sale. In lieu of answering all of you individually, I'll respond here.

Yes, even with a full mechanical rebuild and an incredible amount of time spent on the rest of the car, people are complaining that it is still overpriced. To avoid a lengthy sales process I have decided to change the asking price to a more than realistic $29,995 on this forum and on the upcoming BIN Ebay auction. There really isn't anymore to add that hasn't been covered in this lengthy thread. Good luck.

Best,

David

7. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    David-

Yeah well the market is what it is right now- Curious to reflect on this period in 10 years or so...

Post some good photos of the car just for posterity here- I think we'd all like to see it!

8. SlickMurphy

Aug 18, 2004
    Essex
    Full Name:
    David
    Hi Guys,

When I have some time I will take some updated photos this week and post them. I need the garage spot for a 360. $24,995 is the new price.

David

9. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Jesus...

Do I need a THIRD one?

10. kliko312

kliko312 Karting

May 21, 2008
    NLD
    Full Name:
    Graaf
    Very tempting..... such a nice car and excellently prepared by Brett.

11. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    No, but do you WANT one?

Absolutely!

Hey Dave, why not bring it to the F40 open house at Wayne Carini's place in Portland, CT this Saturday and see if you can stir up some buying interest there?

I'm going to try and make it there if various family schedules permit. Idea would be to get there fairly early in the a.m. and then head back around noon or so.

I am frankly astounded that a freshly rebuilt 5 speed 400i hasn't been snapped up already.

12. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    #137 full_garage, May 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Do you have to ask??

Dropped off the 400i and picked up the 412- but was humbled by the presence of this restored 275...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. SlickMurphy

Aug 18, 2004
    Essex
    Full Name:
    David
    Car is sold. Thanks guys.

14. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Congratulations! Anyone we know?

15. Highmiler

Highmiler Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2010
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Yes, the red one is different. But it shouldn't make you feel "put in the shade".

I bought my 1963 Porsche 356B in 1967 and still have it . That was about the time the 911 came out.
    I have always felt that the 356 is very feminine looking. There isn't a straight line on it anywhere. The same is true of the red 275.

The 911, and most of it's successors is a quite masculine design, being all straight lines, and so is the Ferrari 400i. They are different cars representing different times.

All four are great cars. They are just different cars.

Greg

16. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    well...i do know a good deal when i see one.

17. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    They're like potato chips, you can't have just one. :)

18. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    And thus the circle of life is complete.

19. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    mmm hmmm.

LOL !

Jay, i've never seen you say so much in so few words... ; )