I turned the key & my $$$ flashed before my eyes.......!!!!! | Page 9 | FerrariChat

I turned the key & my $$$ flashed before my eyes.......!!!!!

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by kerrywittig, Apr 22, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I too would love to see a comprehensive differential R&R procedure. This is one area that is still shrouded in mystery to most of us. It seems like those that know how to do it don't post it...probably because of the extensive pictures and narration required, as well as understanding all of the terminology that goes along with a proper ring-and-pinion set up. Kerry...if you decide to do a "how to"....how can we help to make it worth your while?

2. jeffsjag90

jeffsjag90 Rookie

May 8, 2010
    Waco Texas
    Full Name:
    Jeff Maynard
    Kerry.
    I would like to see the R&R of Diff. I am planning on doing upgrade.

3. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #203 PV Dirk, Feb 23, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
    Thank you Kerry!

I just received (as requested) my three dirty bent 1987 Ferrari Testarossa valves. Fantastic. I sat spinning them in my hands for a while, smiling that the bend is definately noticeable. I am so giddy because of my friends who might wet themselves when I hand these out as gifts. I hope this doesn't come across as insensitive, I recognize the trouble this has caused you, but one mans trash/tragedy........ will be another mans joy in this case. Thanks for offering them up. I'll probably mount them on small pieces of wood, painted Nero of course with a note of Make, Model, Year.

Thanks,
    Dirk

4. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    Thank you and your welcome Dirk!

Well at 10 am EST tomorrow, 2/24/11.......I will undertake the very tricky and scary task of removing the bearing races from the cast aluminum differential side covers.

How is this done..................??

Well you quickly, with either an acetylene torch or a MAP gas torch, heat the housing, then slap it down on a piece of plywood and magically the bearing race pops out!!

My drinkin' buddy in Boulder said this is the....."method". And it was about 4 pm in the afternoon on a week day and so therefore the scotch had not yet flowed................enough, to persuade me to question such a high-tech ballet of heat and hammers!!

I will take pix of the procedure and will at the end........either display a big smile or write up a step by step instruction on how to open a bottle, chug vast quantities of alcohol, followed by a drunkin' trip to the bank loan officer, where I shall inform him that I need $$$ for my "hobby"!!

Shock and Awe Sh*t Me

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

They'll come out. You can get that housing pretty hot without hurting it.

I have used a cutoff wheel to grind grooves in the face of the bearing to get puller jaws in there but it is more trouble than it is worth.

6. UncleRay

UncleRay Karting

Dec 28, 2009
    Hastings, Minn.
    Kerry, like wise if there is a valve left over please put me down for one. I have been following your project and the other threads in this section. The help that I have seen provided by the contributors has removed any reluctance on my part to purchase a Testarossa in the near future. Thanks Uncle Ray
    PM on the way.

7. Marty

Marty Karting

Nov 21, 2003
    Boston/PTown/SW FL
    Full Name:
    Martin Stark
    Another method for removing bearing races from internal housings is to lay down a short bead of weld on the inside of the race at each of the 4 compass points. When the welds cool the bearing will fall out of the housing.

8. Kravchak

Kravchak Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2005
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I got my two, the kids love them... THANKS

9. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    I'm back from vacation and my curved valve was in my mailbox. First time in my life I'm happy to get something broke!
    Thanks Kerry!

10. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    Well today I finally figured out the wiring to the starter (couldn't get it to engage), turned the key and after a couple of sputters........the engine fired right up!!

I now can not get the radiator fans to kick on. I'm an idiot at electrical and am trying to find why at 195* to 210* what is causing the fans not to engage. They worked fine prior to engine removal.

What I checked so far:

1. Both 10 amp fuses in fusebox are fine.
    2. Connectors (long white plastic) are secure and not even discolored.
    3. Connections at the thermoswitch on bottom of drivers side radiator are fine.

Any advice?

Not cooling Me

11. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Fan Relay you??

12. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    connect the both wires on the temperature switch at the left radiator. this is the switch for both fans.
    also you may jump ( hope this is the right word? ) the relais for the fans to check if they are running

13. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    With the key "on", and the engine not running (but with everything plugged in), touch a jumper wire from ground (e.g., the negative battery terminal) to the metal terminal of ZN (violet-black) wire in the j white connector as shown in this diagram (this simulates a hot, closed water thermoswitch):

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Both water fans should come "on":

If they don't = bad sign for the fuse-relay panel.

If they do (but they don't when they should per the water temp gauge) = most likely the thermoswitch on the LH radiator is bad, but it still can be a local wiring problem there.
    With the key "on", and the engine not running (but with everything plugged in), connect the two wires at the thermoswitch together:

If the water fans run (but they don't when they should per the water temp gauge) = water thermoswitch is bad.

If the water fans don't run (but they did when you used the jumper at the j connector) = bad local ground connection for one of the wires at the water thermoswitch.

14. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
  15. 1974gt4

1974gt4 Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 19, 2009
    in my garage...
    Full Name:
    Dr. Italiani

More trusting than I...

The Napa part # is valuable information......so is the "Made in India"

16. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    Fixed....or should I say figured out..............I did exactly what SM said and all is ready.

The problem with fans........

Black and purple/lavander wire has a break in it "somewhere"....so now I'll run a new wire and all will be well.

Exhaust in place with new test tubes...

Runs a bit rough, so I need to sort that out!

Very pleased Me

17. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    Congrats on bring her back to life Kerry!

CC

18. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    Thanks for the thumbs up CC....

Questions, Oh I have questions.

Here's number 1...

Where on the '87 TR are ground straps located?

I know of the one in the battery box area, but, is there one that connects the main frame to the rear subframe?

Grounded? Me

19. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    Number 2.

Any economical source for the alternaton cooling hose? F wants $120....

Hoser Me

20. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #220 qwazipsycho, Jul 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Aloha Kerry,

Yes, there is a ground strap that goes from the subframe rear cross member to the rear cover of the gearbox.

You can see it dangling on the subrame (out of my car) in this pic:

21. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    Thanks psycho.........I knew there was one missing!!

Now to get the console hooked up right and back in place!!

Gettin' there Me

22. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    F*^& it. I just cleaned up and reused the OEM that I had........Spent $100 plus 2 years ago on new hoses for the brake cooling and altenator from an F car supplier and just opened them today........wrong sizes....live and learn, but the cooling hoses are routed and look great!

Still got a console to figure out!!

Open the package and look...Not...Me

23. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    #223 kerrywittig, Jul 2, 2013
    OK here we go.............

Any idea what wires plug into this component in the console (HVAC vacumm plug also connects into this component)

Help Me

24. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #224 302Tim, Jul 2, 2013
    Those are the controls for the HVAC. Only two of the three posts are used, the upper horizontal post is N/negro (black) and the post to the right is GV/giallo/verde (yellow/green). The RH post may have to be turned to get the clocking right to match the plug, it looks perpendicular on the diagram. There are two other posts on that switch that are not used on the TR (total of three), so don't be concerned with them. The black wire should also have another lead coming out of the connector that goes to the illumination lamp, along with a G/giallo (yellow) wire. See attached for more detail.

25. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    Excellent Tim....I now understand my confusion about that connector!! All plugged in correct now...........So here is a 2nd question......

What are the wire colors and positions of the three on the parking light button in the center console please? Tim or anybody got an answer?

Gettin' there Me