Where is the 400/412 Market REALLY at? | Page 8 | FerrariChat

Where is the 400/412 Market REALLY at?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by full_garage, Dec 24, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Glaverbel911

Glaverbel911 Karting

Feb 20, 2010
    Neustadt ADW/Toronto
    Full Name:
    R. Groß
    I thought it was an 83' but could be wrong,. It was blue with tan and had an Italian plate on the front end... but the seller did not even bother replying to my inquiries or call's.. Perhaps it was already sold but he could have at least told me so.
    Look forward to hooking up with you..

Regards, Robert.

2. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Brett,

I used to use my 330 daily and there is someone in the vintage section that still does, so the 400 series isn't the oldest Ferrari that can be used daily ;) :) .

To everyone else: Great discussion!

Regards to all!

Art S.

3. alastairhouston

alastairhouston Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston

4. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Alastair,

I must say that your comment was out of line. During the course of this thread Full Garage educated himself viewed a number of cars and acted when he found the right one. I doubt Robert bought his car five minutes after deciding to look for one, rather he bought it five minutes after reviewing the car he bought because he knew what to look for as a result of his prior efforts.

Regards,

Art S.

5. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    i dunno Art...Jay certainly dished some out in this thread and i fully expect he's man enough to take a little as well...i'd be disappointed if he wasn't.

6. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay

7. Glaverbel911

Glaverbel911 Karting

Feb 20, 2010
    Neustadt ADW/Toronto
    Full Name:
    R. Groß
    Jay,, my 5 min comment wasn't directed at you just so you know.. I restore vintage Porsches and as with any automobile they speak a language when i see them. Honest car's, stories, no-stories or junk.
    I'm sure it was the same for you when you found finally found what was right for you.
    Sure would like to see what you fell in love with. Please post some photos.

Regards, Robert.

8. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    #183 full_garage, Jan 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
    Yeah of course-I got it.

I probably spent TEN minutes deciding on the car I bought after two months of serious shopping and two years of casual interest- I looked at a good cross-section of the 400/412 market- WOW when people say an early 80's 400i is "a great driver" they mean a dented rusting wreck! I wanted a SUPER clean car- and a couple of the cars that the owners claim are "Showroom Perfect" are nice, but not clean enough to justify their top of the market price.

I bought the Silver/Red 412 that was in Costa Mesa CA- I've never seen a 412 in such condition, and even with the automatic it drove brilliantly and was the recipient of tens of thousands of dollars of very recent work.

I had made an offer on another car- kind of a lowball offer that was instantly rejected- but the guy now seems to want to play ball-and Brett is right- These are so ridiculously undervalued that I am almost sure i will add a second example to the Full Garage if this one falls through ... but so far it's just the one.

And I did not buy the cheapest 412 on the market- not by a longshot- I paid a reasonable price for what I consider to be the among the best examples of this model currently available.

9. 1974gt4

1974gt4 Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 19, 2009
    in my garage...
    Full Name:
    Dr. Italiani
    #184 1974gt4, Jan 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
    ...fugget about it.

Due dilligence pays dividends.

I have been romancing the idea for about 5 years.

Last year got serious and made a trip to So Cal JUST for the purpose of driving 3 4xx series cars. I drove one. the other two were 30 foot cars. Cherry from a distance but door panels not lining up, the not o.k. stuff FOR ME.

I keep an eye out, spoke to the fellow with the recently advertised 400i Auto, on craigs list san francisco, black with red interior, 9000 miles, which used to be blue b.t.w. and I spent 30 minutes on the phone with him asking questions before I decided this car wasn't for me. I didn't look at it even though it was just 45 minutes away.

I respect your decesions and taking your concerns to this forum is prudent.

Some replies have value and some not so much.

I say more power to you, sincerely.

We are all looking for the most car for the money. Even significantly more well heeled people than myself want value for money.

I support your methods and asking for opinions in this forum. I have benifited from them and I thank you.

PS The car you bought is stunning. The red interior is lavish. The silver paint impeccable. Well done.

I can do without the auto, but that is just ME. <><><> Bravo and Congratulations Jay.

10. ulf rickard

ulf rickard Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Ulf Rickard
    For 5 years ago I decided to buy an 400/412 exactly as You, for 4,5 years ago I bought one, since then I drove my car A LOT and You are still looking after best car you will never find.

You can search for the ultimate car FOREVER, you always think, "there will soon be a better one".

In the same time, i am enjoying mine, driving, smiling, looking and feel pleased to have one. Itis not mint condition, I know, but it runs well

Please, give up, You never find a car good enough, I don´t think they were good enough even when they where new.

Ulf Rickard

11. 1974gt4

1974gt4 Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 19, 2009
    in my garage...
    Full Name:
    Dr. Italiani
    #186 1974gt4, Jan 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
    Sir: there is a difference between thinking about it

AND DOING SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

As I said, I thought about it for 5 years, YET LAST YEAR I MADE IT A PRIORITY...AS IN TO FIND A CAR. Yes, I am looking for the best car I can find and I will. (REREAD THE POST)

You Mr. Rickard have no f*cking idea what kind of car I will find. Your comments are assuming you know anything about me or my priorities. "You never find a car good enough..." Preposterous !!!

"Please give up"...indeed !

I, in that 5 years rode many motorcycles, on track, through Norway, to King Ludwigs Castle in Germany...owned many other cars of which I have 6 now. Toured Maranello and the Porsche Factory, even managed to stay at LeMans for all 24 hours this year, as in awake for all 24, snuck out to the Mulsanne straight at 0330 too.

Looking for the correct car in no way implies that I am sitting at home and letting the enjoyment of life or motoring be reserved for only you Mr. Rickard.

Your assumptions are absurd.

12. ulf rickard

ulf rickard Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Ulf Rickard

Good for You that You enjoy all different aspect of motoring, good luck with Your search, life goes on ......

13. alastairhouston

alastairhouston Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    Art and Full Garage
    Apologies if I was out of line there. Anyway lets see the photos when you can. Sounds like a peach of a 412
    Regards
    Alastair

14. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    #189 full_garage, Jan 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well yeah there is.

I cannot imagine how spending a couple of months in the Dead of Winter looking for a car struck some people as odd- when there have been people on this and other sections of Fchat toying with Fcar ownership for 7 years!! I was not looking for the cheapest car- yet asking if a 412 at $60K was correct for the market seemed to indicate i was a "Bargain Hunter".

Here are some pictures of the car- i won't be transporting it East until the giant snowbanks melt here in Boston. I can't explain how fresh and new this car looks. Undercarraige and frame is clear and perfect, brand new OEM exhaust with not a single dot of rust or corrosion- leather is soft and supple with no noticeable wear, carpets are clean and fresh and even the leather piping is crisp, soft and perfect. I was afraid of the red interior- which is why it took me so long to get out there and see the car- but in person it's a different beast- The interior is a completely different experience than the crema/blue and tan/brown cars I've been in- It feels regal and elegant and VERY exclusive- The silver color is just a click or two darker than the typical 412 Grigio I've seen- it makes the car look a bit more sculpted to my eyes- I'm excited to get the car here- and of course will report my ownership experience as it happens-
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
  16. Fritz Ficke

Fritz Ficke Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2006
    Tucson, AZ.
    Full Name:
    Fritz Ficke
    This has been the most interest thread in this section in a long time, Thank you "Full Garage"

17. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Congratulations.
    I also like the colors

18. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Beautiful looking 412. I understand that the red interior does not photograph faithfully to how it looks in real life, which it to say that a color in a photo that looks too bright for my tastes probably looks very nice in person.

Looking forward to hearing more about your experiences in buying and owning this car!

19. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    You know once you begin to get your eye accustomed to looking at 412's... The USA indicator lights REALLY began to bother me- very, very few here in the States with no USA marker lights like this car.

20. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    i don't think that part struck anyone as odd Jay...

what matters now though, is that you found your car...Congratulations, she's a beauty !

21. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    AFAIK, yours is one of two 412s in the U.S. with the silver/red color scheme. Sold at Barrett Jackson in 2002 with 15,832 miles.

22. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Jay,

Congrats on your beautiful 412! It really looks amazing, and I really dig the Silver/Red combo!

Enjoy your car in excellent health!

Cheers,

Sam

23. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    Jay

That is a fabulous looking 412. I love the grigio with red interior, probably my favourite colour combo. We should get our cars together when the weather improves!

Aidan

24. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Ulf,

I am not trying to be confrontational and so I say the following only to give you another perspective (mine)... There are people who actually like the "adventure" of finding the car they want. In doing so they see a variety of cars and meet a number of people which can add to the experience and ultimately educates them on the model and the market... which can given them conviction on the car they want. Can using this search style result in missed opportunities? Absolutely, however, like I implied that each of us have their own desires and priorities and so one should not criticize others if their desires/priorities are different.

Cheers,

Sam

25. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Aidan-

Yes let's do that! And thanks for your insight into 400/412 ownership! Given our Winter I think it should be "IF" the weather improves!

Jay