No love for Triumph? | FerrariChat

No love for Triumph?

Discussion in 'British' started by Badman, Nov 10, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Badman

Badman Formula 3

Mar 4, 2007
    Gotham City
    Full Name:
    Bruce Wayne
    #1 Badman, Nov 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB
    I have a Triumph, but it's a '69 Bonneville.

Shiny Side Up!
    Bill

3. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    That Spit looks new (no dirt in the wheelwells). ;)

4. CraigFL

CraigFL Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2001
    Panama City, FL
    Full Name:
    Craig
    I used to own a '65 Spitfire. Triumphs are more rare than MGs....

A friend of mine broke his arm trying to handcrank start a TR2 if that matters...:)

5. I have owned a TR3 & a TR4. Neat cars.

6. Badman

Badman Formula 3

Mar 4, 2007
    Gotham City
    Full Name:
    Bruce Wayne
    Thanks, I do my best to keep it completely original and clean. And yet I came in second in the local Triumph show this year to a weird Franken-Spit because it was painted a bright metallic blue. That's the problem with participant judged shows...

But I find good Triumphs are more common. There are a ton of the rubber bumper MGBs and Midgets out there, and no offense to anybody who has one (I've actually owned one of each), but... meh. There are still plenty of good TR6's and TR3's around though.

I don't even know how people make that work. I've never been able to get my TR3A to start on the handcrank. Course it's not always a cakewalk to get it to start with the starter motor either ;)

7. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    When I first met my wife-to-be, she was driving a 1966 Triumph 2000 Sedan. That would have been around 1975. A year or two later, I bought myself a 1965 Triumph Vitesse convertible. Both long gone. Don't believe I have a picture of either one. Both broke down a lot, but both were fun cars.

8. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #8 TheMayor, Nov 10, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
    A good friend of mine had a Spit for several years. He ended up hating it and gave it away to his nephew. He bought a TR6 and loved it, although he liked tinkering with it every weekend.

I think most Triumphs have that love/hate relationship with owners.

9. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    #9 UroTrash, Nov 10, 2010
  10. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    LOL!

:D

11. jbann

jbann Rookie

Aug 11, 2007
    Northeast Penn.
    Beautiful car! I have an old english white 1964 Spitfire mk1 that I just got at the beginning of summer. I love that car. It is nice to see Triumphs finally being brought up as a discussion on these forums!

- Jan

12. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #12 Wade, Nov 10, 2010
    Isobel likes this.
  13. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    I love Triumphs! I am glad I am living past the time when they were new, and you had to choose sides in the Triumph/MG wars, which was basically a smaller scale and more genteel version of the old Chevy/Ford debate here stateside. One was apparently not a fan of both marques at the time. However, nowadays I am free to love MG's and Triumphs equally.

14. Badman

Badman Formula 3

Mar 4, 2007
    Gotham City
    Full Name:
    Bruce Wayne
    Pics! I've always had a soft spot for the Spits, and the round-tails in particular. Keep her in good health, the early ones are getting rare and only a few of us love them.

I'll admit I enjoy razzing on MG owners (I'd rather push my Triumph than drive an MG!). Most folks understand it as a friendly sibling rivalry. But occasionally I run into people who still take the feud seriously. I usually just stare at them blankly before walking away.

I do love the MGs as well though. One of these days I'll get myself a T-series midget.

Lol, you wedge heads are another breed entirely ;)

Actually, it was a TR7 coupe in high school that began my love affair with sports cars.

15. NORTY

NORTY Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2008
    CARLSBAD, CA, USA,
    Full Name:
    NORTY
    #15 NORTY, Nov 10, 2010
  16. jbann

jbann Rookie

Aug 11, 2007
    Northeast Penn.
    #16 jbann, Nov 10, 2010
    Alrighty, I'll see if I can get some pictures up here this weekend when I head back from college. She isn't in the greatest condition but she's a good driver! Built in late 1963 (but titled in 1964 - 3 owner car; I'm the third). White on red vinyl and so far I have managed to put over 1000miles on her since early July! The first time she let down was three weeks ago with a bad clutch slave - but since I have rebuilt it and we are still driving as much as possible when I'm home before the heavy winter sets in. I too have a soft spot for spitfires. It started 4 years ago when I was in 10th grade when a friend's father bought a 1968 mk3 and let me drive it. Since then I am been enamored by spitfires and vintage automobiles. It was finally this summer when I scrounged together enough money to buy my mk1. It has been a great learning experience and I am loving every moment of it.

If you wouldn't mind, I would love to see more pictures of yours as well!

- Jan

17. Badman

Badman Formula 3

Mar 4, 2007
    Gotham City
    Full Name:
    Bruce Wayne
    #17 Badman, Nov 10, 2010
    And the rebuild kits cost less than $10. Try that on an f-car!

Here are a few more pics. First is my TR3A, second is the Spitfire I sold to buy the current one, third and fourth are pics of the current spitfire, and the fifth one is from the Triumph show this summer. Mine is the closer of the two rear cars. The last picture is me, seventeen years ago, about to drive away for the first time in my very first Triumph (and very first car!)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. jbann

jbann Rookie

Aug 11, 2007
    Northeast Penn.
    #18 jbann, Nov 10, 2010
    You certainly have that right! I paid $7.90 at The Roadster Factory; gotta love the price of replacement parts, let alone the availability especially when comparing them to those of the vintage ferraris, haha.

Your mk2 really looks great; the panel gap is amazing - is the car original or was it restored at one point?

I like your progression of Triumphs, especially the picture of your first spitfire. If the woman is your mother, she looks understandably anxious/nervous ;).

I'll get some pictures up of mine soon.

- Jan

19. Badman

Badman Formula 3

Mar 4, 2007
    Gotham City
    Full Name:
    Bruce Wayne
    #19 Badman, Nov 11, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
    It's mostly original. It was bought new in 1965 by on older couple who just drove it on weekends, and when they passed away their son stored it for many years. Finally a Spitfire enthusiast purchased it in 2006. He repainted it as there was a bit of minor rust around the edges. He didn't really drive it though, as it was his third Spit, so I bought it from him in 2007. When I got it, it had 24K miles. I had to rebuild the transmission, as one of the mainshaft bearings had disintegrated. Other than that, it's been mostly maintainance work. Replaced all hoses, rebuilt the brakes, clutch, carbs, etc.

No, she was the owner, who had purchased it new. She was less than enthused that some young punk was driving away with her baby. She was justified too. It only took me three years to destroy the thing! Had a bunch of engine trouble with it, and finally sold it for $600 to a guy who wanted the body to replace his.

Please do!

20. etmracing

etmracing Karting

Oct 17, 2010
    Thurmont MD
    Full Name:
    Marc Stephens
    I love Triumphs I have a 77 Spitfire im restoring should be finished by spring. I love MG's too but Triumphs always had a more sporting feel IMO.

21. ronmg

ronmg Karting

Oct 14, 2009
    Duh Moines
    Full Name:
    Ron Foote
    Hello, My first post in this part of the world. I've always had MGs and quite a few BMW 02s. I redid a 66 spit for my wife and we both loved it!! Unfortunately she had her left hip go bad and she couldn't drive it anymore. Broke her heart to sell it. It went to a girl friend of hers who is setting it up for serious auto-xing. Can't wait to see how she does.

Ron

22. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    A solid Trumpet Bonny or chop is right up my alley.

The cars - meh. Never liked them. I was spoiled as a child - my old man had an Austin-Healey 3000, and I currently own an E-Type.

The earlier cars were nice - once they got to the TR6, then 7 / 8 - not so much IMHO.

23. Badman

Badman Formula 3

Mar 4, 2007
    Gotham City
    Full Name:
    Bruce Wayne
    I never could figure out why the big Healeys took off in price like they did. I mean, sure, they're nice cars, but I'd take a TR3 over a 3000 any day. Better looks, faster 0-60, much better fuel economy, and having driven both, it's frankly just more fun, imho.

The E-type, on the other hand, I get completely. Though it's like the TR6... everybody seems to have one.

24. I put a gear reduction starter on my old TR3, under $200 off of ebay. 100% improvement.

25. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    #25 nathandarby67, Nov 13, 2010
    Last year my wife and I rented (yes, rented) a TR3 for a couple of days in the Virginia mountains. My dad lives in Lynchburg, and turns out there is a guy up towards Charlottesville that rents old sports cars. We got the TR3 and took it up to Skyline drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway. The leaves were beautiful, and the TR3 was a whole lot of fun. Much more torque than the MG's I was used to, but not as much handling finesse. The cut-down doors add another great dimension to the driving experience as well.