Tennis Elbow..?? | FerrariChat

Tennis Elbow..??

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by msdesignltd, Sep 17, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Thats what my Chiro calls it...
    Severe pain in tendens on top of arm ahead of elbow..
    No pain in Elbow, only muscles ahead of that area..

I have strapped it , wrapped it, and about everything else..
    I have had pain for 2 years now as everything I do that is strenuous uses these muscles..

Anyone have any cures??

2. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    Oh, the elusive lateral epicondylitis.

There are many treatments for "tennis elbow". Strapping, stretching, strengthening exercises, iontophoresis, ultrasound, soft tissue massage, cortisone injections, oral anti-inflammatories, extracorporeal shock wave therapy, etc.

The problem is that soft tissue injuries/trauma take approximately six weeks to fully heal. If you disrupt that healing at any time during that six weeks the six week healing time frame starts over again. This leads to a chronic condition (greater than six months) which is more difficult to treat. Another problem with treating lateral epicondylitis is that every time you use your hand or wrist, in certain motions, you are irritating already irritated tissue.

It is a difficult cycle to break.

Have you seen any other medical providers besides your chiropractor?

3. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    You have pinned the preverbial tail right on the Donkey!!
    This is my problem, Just when weeks and weeks have passed and I begin to feel better..
    Boom, I lift something or throw something and Kapow...
    Back where I started...viscious cycle..

Who would be next in the lineup to see.... a sports medicine doctor???

How do you know so much...You a Doc?

4. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    I went to graphite shafted clubs and the problem eventually went away....

The strap was the only thing that worked for me during the pain period and I still wear it when I play.

5. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    #6 darth550, Sep 17, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
    You wear a strap with ACE on it playing tennis? I took my Ping putter grip and blackened the P and the G so it says "IN".

Your buddies must be intimidated too! :D:D:D

6. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Ace makes a chastity belt as well..

Its called ace in the _____________

You asked for it!

7. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Paper covers rock,

Lock beats _______?

8. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    I used to practice physical therapy before switching careers and performing independent medical reviews for the state of California. I am off for my furlough Friday. :)

To answer your question, an orthopedic surgeon is probably your best bet.

The strap shown by another poster works like this. The numerous tendons in your forearm join together near the elbow to form what is known as the common extensor tendon (CET) which is attached to the lateral side of the elbow. The strap, when placed below the elbow, tricks the body into thinking the attachment site of the CET is below the elbow allowing the portion of the tendon above the strap to heal as less stress is placed on that portion of the tendon. Sometimes they work sometimes they don't.

A lot of people exacerbate their symptoms when sleeping by curling their wrist underneath then when they sleep. If you mouse frequently at work try moving the mouse to the opposite hand. Awkward at first, but decreases the stress on the involved upper extremity.

rdefabri likes this.
  9. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    I had it pretty bad for 4-5 months two years ago when I started playing summer league baseball. I went from being able to throw from the fence to home plate to not being able to throw to the cut off man. Once the season was over, I let it heal. The following year, I would warm up properly before a game or practice, and it hasn't returned :)

The elbow bands help alleviate the pain in normal use, but never in more extreme use.

10. mullin

mullin Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2004
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Tom M
    I also had a severe case of tennis elbow. Just bumping that part of my arm would cause extreme pain. Believe it or not, I was cured by Todd Scott on youtube. If you follow the exercises in part one and two of his tennis elbow cure clips you will strengthen that very hard to isolate tendon and alleviate the pain. In his clip he claims to be able to cure this affliction in two weeks but I was much better in nine days. The exercises are very simple to do and will directly target the proper tendons.

This is a free solution and you have nothing to lose but the pain. If you give this an honest try, please report back and share you results- for better or worse.

11. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    The best treatment , without any doubt based on the latest medical research is one or more PRP injections in the area by a physician experienced in this area. They are getting 85-90 % cure rates with the injections. This involves taking your blood, spinning it down to isolate the platlets and they activating the platlets and injection them back into your elbow area. This causes a super healing response and cause the tendon and or ligament or joint to heal. Thios doesnt have the side effects of steroid injections, which can weaken the tendon and lead to a tear. They key is finding an experience health care provider who will do the injections under floroscopy. Orthopods have been slow to adapt to this new procedure and many dont know about it and dont do it. Many professional athletes are now doing which great results for various tendonosis.

12. MaxPower

MaxPower Two Time F1 World Champ

Mar 28, 2006
    At sea ... aahhh ...
    Full Name:
    MP
    mine took over 4 years to return to normal ... with regular exercising ...

13. wang

wang Formula 3

Feb 23, 2004
    Brunei
    Full Name:
    H. Wang
    Unfortunately it does require a lot of time to heal if not taken care of properly. When I had mine, Just resting it was not enough as I would do something to set it off again... So I went to an acupuncturist as well. It accelerated the healing process, 3-4weeks instead of 6-10 weeks.

14. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Tried that too,didn't work for me.
    I'm in pain for 2 years now and nothing helps,it's a chronic pain now.
    The worst are parties and any events when I have to shake hands with a lot of people....

ferraripete likes this.
  15. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    I am curious. Did your insurance cover the PRP injection(s)? I believe it is still considered experimental/investigational by most health insurance plans.

16. mullin

mullin Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2004
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Tom M
    Injections will only mask the symptoms. You must strengthen the tendon to get permanent relief. This can only be done with pinpoint targeting of the affected area. Although the tendon is hard to isolate, the exercises I mentioned in my previous reply will hit that area and the neglected tendon will respond quickly.

17. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    Out of curiosity I watched the Todd Scott videos on you tube. The first thing is you are not strengthening a tendon but rather the extensor as well as the pronator and supinator musculature of the forearm/elbow. A tendon cannot be strengthened with any exercise.

Although he shows some basic exercises to strengthen and stretch this musculature some of the techniques used are not quite right.

I am sure for some people this would be helpful but it depends on each individual's specific symptoms, length of injury, etc.

I am glad it worked for you.

18. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    I have Blue Cross/Blue Shield that covers almost anything.
    Not PRP though....

19. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael

Could we have a link to the Vid you are describing??

20. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
  21. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    hey....

if you didn't watch this video, I suggest you go watch it
    now:

use this for immediate relief

using this exercise just a few minutes a day, will give you some
    relief - most times it's immediate...

But don't take my word for it, give it a shot... within 5 minutes
    from now, I'm pretty sure you'll agree.

talk soon,

Todd Scott
    Training Advisor, Men's Fitness magazine

p.s. I have this cool program for you, but it's only for people
    who are REALLY serious about getting rid of their elbow pain.

read about it here:

http://TennisElbowSolution.com/te

22. wahoowa

wahoowa F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2008
    _East Coast_
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Sorry for the "resurrection" but still fighting a sore (really sore) case of lateral epicondylitis AKA: tennis elbow - I've had this several times over my life, but this one is a doozy. The Todd Scott link is no longer working - is this the exercise mentioned above? :

Many thanks :)

23. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Check out DynaFlex and IronPower Gyro exercise balls. They are excellent for these type repetitive use injuries. They serve to safely stabilize joints through their full range of motion, providing better tracking, and thus reducing pain caused by components gliding against others where they ought not. One employed in the type exercise you are searching for will greatly enhance the results of the exercise through the resistance provided