Wow...Daytona Spider in Greenwich CT | FerrariChat

Wow...Daytona Spider in Greenwich CT

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by MRONY, Aug 21, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MRONY

MRONY Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2007
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Mike O.
    #1 MRONY, Aug 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

lol...just parked on the avenue like it is any old car! i wish i had the stones to do that.

3. champtc

champtc Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2004
    Mike- the mouse hair is not a big deal. I have a great guy in Norwalk...I have had both of my dash's done by him. Its not hard & looks great...

4. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Great to see one of these out on the streets. These cars are meant to be driven.

5. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    <Bites back of hand>

God, they really look better and better every year... nicely photographed in the wild, and with the top down!

6. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Most beautiful thing EVER created by man.

7. AMA328

AMA328 F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2002
    ABQ-67me68-OKC :)
    Anyone guess whether original or chopped?

8. dmn23

dmn23 Karting

Nov 9, 2006
    This has always been my position and I've never wavered. A Daytona – coupe or spider, it doesn't matter – is one of a small handful of examples of perfect design. They're just lovely.

9. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    No rear defrost switch, either real or someone really knew how to make one look real.

10. MRONY

MRONY Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2007
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Mike O.
    The owner is (of course) a commodities trader from Greenwich. As I said, he left his name sitting out on an insurance quote, but I am too discreet to just post it up here. I figured a true enthusiast would be on the site and claim it.

Hopefully he will show up and fill in the details. It's by far the best spyder I have ever seen in person, and almost nauseatingly clean. Personally, I still vastly prefer the lines of the Dino to this car -- it will never escape the Miami Vice connection for me (a great show, but a really tacky aesthetic). Nonetheless, the true drop top makes up for the 70s phallo-nose! And of course, there are so few of the real Daytona spyders.

Just after this, I was gassing up the 355 at the Shell station in Bedford NY (most overpriced gas in the nation), and the unmistakable chain whine of a Dino got me craning -- a nice red GTS went buzzing by. Good lord, after such a long shop vacation, I had forgotten what a prime beast the 355 is on a good twisty back road. Fun Saturday morning!!!

11. shashi27

shashi27 Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2006
    Long Valley, NJ
    Full Name:
    Shashi
    Totally agree. All current and future car designers should ingrain the Daytona philosophy of minimalist lines equals perfection. No wings, scoops, etc.

12. alastairhouston

alastairhouston Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    Minimalist lines etc reminds me of a 400!

Did that car just get wheeled out of a showroom or something I mean the carpets are spottless its totaly outrageously clean its like the guy must have been driving with his shoesoff and carrying a soft polishing cloth for everything while parked to keep the thing impecable.

I love it good on whoever did that job.

Hey wait a minute I know it was actually the guy just spent ten years restoring to perfection and this was the first drive when he decided to drop by the mall and get some furry dice to hang up on the windscreen!
    All fun but seriously that car is beautifull
    Regards
    Alastair

13. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    You mean like the Rover SD1? :)

14. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Sure, Miami Vice had a tacky aesthetic, and replica Daytonas (well, pretty much all replicas) are uber-tacky. But the real ones are timeless.

I love the 246, but the brutish stance of the Daytona -- especially in black -- wins out over the Dino's curves, IMHO. It's subtle, muscular and elegant all at once. I can't name too many cars that have achieved that. Ferrari 250 GT SWB, Jag E-Type, Porsche 356 Speedster, Merc 300 SL, maybe the Aston DB4/5.