What towns in NC mtns for 2nd home? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

What towns in NC mtns for 2nd home?

Discussion in 'North & South Carolina' started by SCantera, Jul 18, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Toured areas around Asheville both N and S. Some beatiful communities very close to town some with elevations nearing 3500 with nice views. Black mtn area has a couple of spectacular view communities. Wooded lots, valley and mtn range views cool temps. Very attractive to this flatlander from FL. Black Mtn is about 20 minutes to Asheville. The town itself is quaint w/ mom and pop shops.....no starbucks here!

In Blowing Rock right now to get a handle on this part of state. As Daniel said it is a beautiful part of the country.

2. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    How long are you in BR? I will be there about 6pm for the Horse Show event.

3. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I was near there over the 4th of July. My parents have a timeshare in Sky Valley, GA. We went up to Highlands a couple of times for shopping and food. I loved checking out some of the waterfalls in that area. It has been a while since I came down from MD.

4. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    The "little drive" from Ashville is at least 2 hours - you are right though it is beautiful - but somewhat remote for extended stays

5. bjorn156

bjorn156 Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2006
    los angeles
    Full Name:
    aaron
    easily boone/blowing rock. stay away from the horrendous gated communities and live like you should in the mountains - find a great secluded lot and build a place. so much potential, so much to do and so beautiful. don't ruin it behind a gate and a golf club. yuck.

6. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2007
    Mooresville,Nc (Race
    Full Name:
    Bill Long
    Steve,
    Progress report,find anything of serious interest?

7. F1dreamer

F1dreamer Karting

Nov 10, 2008
    Atlanta
    I guess that is how the people up there describe the "little drive" lol. From my perspective I don't want to go into Asheville, that is the reason that I am up there, to get away from people and crowds. But you are right, the drive over is nice, especially if you have a nice sports car to hug the curves. And Asheville is a beautiful town, and some awesome microwbreweries.

8. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Steve

We are all waiting - would love to have you near me in Waynesville but whatever you found will be great
    John E

9. DrStranglove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Had a blast hanging out with Steve and his lovely wife most of Tuesday in BR. I hope I was of some help and that they had a wonderful evening. Like a moron, I did not get any pictures of all of us together!

Steve, I hope you choose BR but even if you do not, having you in NC will make it a better place! Look forward to a good Ferrari House warming!!!

10. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    First I want to thank all of my fellow FChatters for insight on the various areas in the mountains. We have spent the last 6 days touring Asheville, Waynesville, Black Mountain, Blowing Rock, Banner Elk and Cashiers.

Our first day was touring Waynesville surrounds. There is a lot of open country and great mountain views. We did find a community, Smokey Mountain Retreat that we liked. SMR had only log cabin homes in the woods with mountain views. The homes have been built over the past 5 years.

Second day was touring Asheville, Fairview and Black Mountain. - North of Asheville Reynolds mtn has nice homes and mtn views; south of Asheville had a couple of communities with same near the Biltmore Forest. We did not think there were mtn views that close to Asheville. We were pleasantly surprised. There seemed to be some deals for nice homes. After Asheville we traveled Southeast to Fairview then on further east to Black mtn. Two nice communities near Black Mountain had spectacular views. One, Creston is surrounded by conservancy areas and had really incredible views. Creston probably had the best views of any mountain home community we toured. It is a bit out of the way with the nearest town about 10 miles away. Overall we left Asheville, Waynesville and Black Mountain areas pleasantly surprised.

Sunday night we drove up 221 to Blowing Rock. We probably should have taken 321 as it is an easier drive. 221 in the dark while driving a Rialta [small VW based RV] is not my idea of fun, but it was no big deal other than my better half wondering if we were lost. I would have enjoyed driving it it in my SA or the C/4 but have movies, fridge, a bed and bathroom......guess I have learned what it takes to stay married for 30+ years. I kiddingly refer to it as Driving Miss Daisy..... which is often followed by slap on the back of my head.

Monday we began touring Blowing Rock. Saw some nice lots to build on. BR is surrounded by National Forest lands providing protection and some great views. Some of the best lots had gorge views combined with long range mountain views. But there did not seem to be all that many choices for great lots. Either the lot was too steep [big construction $$] or it did not have better views. I guess that the BR area just does not have that much inventory of what we are looking for. The better lots were in small communities with 7 to 10 homes. We only found 2 that we would seriously consider. We also toured a few homes that were deals. Both had motivated sellers. But when I did the math of acquisition and renovations it did not seem to make sense.

The same day we toured Banner Elk. Banner has a couple of new communities with a lot of amenities. One, Eagles Nest even has a hillclimb race going on this weekend. The other Headwaters is a first class community with lots of long range view lots. But I got a better feeling from the town of Blowing Rock than I did from Banner Elk. To me it appears that BR has a more central core with its Main Street. Sure it is touristy, but it gave me a sense purpose and comfort that I did not get from Banner. Accordingly we decided to extend our stay and spent 3 days touring Blowing Rock homes and lots.

On Wednesday night we drove from BR to Highlands. Once again we picked the most winding road to travel in the dark. This time I was the one who thought we were lost. No cell service and a Garmin with a dead battery [lost the cord]. But we made it to check into the Old Edwards Inn. Beautiful hotel. Wish we had time to see the spa, but this is a trip with purpose leaving little time to sit back and relax.

Today [Thursday] we toured real estate in Cashiers. I had a preconceived notion that this area was overvalued and overpriced. I was wrong. Not only were there tons of beautiful building lots available, but there were also new or nearly new homes on the market for well under replacement cost. As an example a beautiful new and very private builder spec home on 4 acres in a nice community for $600k. Replacement would be $900k+. [I am a developer-builder so I can figure this out fairly easily.] It seems that there are a lot of VERY motivated sellers [or banks] in the market. We only had time to see about 6 homes and 10 lots, but we were very surprised at what can be had for very aggressive prices. I believe it is easier to find what we are looking for in Cashiers compared to any where we toured. However I also believe that the softness of the Cashiers market will endure for quite a long time. So if we make Cashiers our desired choice we better be prepared to stay for the long haul. I don't see price appreciation happening here for many years [8+?].

We would have like to toured real estate in the Highlands area, but we have run out of time and must head back to FL.

So we will go back to Naples and think about what our short list is going to be. Right now we are thinking Blowing Rock and Cashiers/Highlands as our preferences. Neither are near any major airports so accessibility from Naples is not the best. But we intend to live in NC from June until Oct so maybe that is not as big a parameter as we had previously established. One issue that I want to check out is the rainfall. Somewhere I remember reading where Cashiers/Highlands is in a temperate rainforest. Not sure what that means, but it sounds like a lot of rain. Being from the Sunshine State where we think the sky is falling if it is gray for more than one day this is worth a bit more investigation. Maybe someone can give us a bit more insight into this.

On the road in the morning for our 12 hour drive back to Naples.

will fill you in on our thought process about our 2nd home decision......keep the comments and thoughts coming

ciao
    Steve Cantera

11. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Steve

Wow, what a whirlwind trip - a hell of a lot to assimilate in a few days - I guess you learned one lesson for the mountains - beware of the road that looks the most direct - I did a similar thing up there about 25 years ago-thought i would never see civilization again. But, as you said, they make for world class driving conditions in the cars - you will enjoy your cars like you never have before in Florida.

I have heard that in the Highlands - Cashiers area that a lot of the sales are the younger generation selling the parents homes because there is not easy access to a lot of things to do - different priorities.

The one great piece of advice I can definitately give you is don't fall for the syndrome that this or that does not matter because it is only a summer home. I can tell you from my experiences both with friends, family, and myself over many years that the summer home can turn into a primary over time. Do not under estimate the lure of the mountains. My sister and her doctor husband bought a suumer home 3 years ago - I told her it was too small etc but she would not listen. Since then, her husband moved his pratice from Miami to Waynesville full time and they really regret not getting more upscale - now cannot sell what they have. My brother in laws common refrain is "I can not believe nobody was mean to me today" - that after practicing medicine in Miami for 35 years. Several friends are in a constant upgrade mode adding to what they have. The constant refrain I hear is that "we never knew we would spend so much time here". I bought my house in 2005 and am now just finishing all the improvements and additions and additional property- we ae still in constant amazement that we love it so much - we both agree it is our all time favorite house - and we have lived in some drop dead beautifu places including our 3 acre estate in Islamorada that we just sold (closes Monday).

Being near an airport is important to us because of access for our kids and friends but you can just have your fiends rent a car

Keep us informed - it is great reading attached some views from the house

John E

12. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Sorry, cna't get pictures to attach - must be too big a file

13. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I spent my summers form age 8 or so until I was about 17 in Cashiers (Sapphire Valley more specifically). The rain is nowhere near as heavy or persistent as it is here in south Florida. One summer it rained about 4 or 5 days per week, but it was predictable afternoon showers that lasted about two hours. The mornings, even in the summer were nice and cool (low 60's at our house). Glad you enjoyed the trip, sounds like you got lots of good info! To me Cashiers is too much of a transplanted south Florida population, but my dad always liked it. There are tons of good hiking and waterfall areas near Cashiers, and some good restaurants too.
    :)
    BT

14. Rbtrader

Rbtrader Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Chattanooga, TN
    Full Name:
    Rich Becherer
    #89 Rbtrader, Jul 31, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have been in Cashiers on Lake Glenville for most of July. We built a log cabin here in 2001, and this year is the most rain and clouds we have ever seen. This year the early part of most days is sunny, but the clouds roll in many days after lunch. Overall, if you want to escape the heat this area is the best I have ever experienced. The last two years the temp was never above 80 on my deck about 100 feet above the lake. Down on the dock in the sun it is 4-5 degrees warmer. The water is always refreshing, although I am originally a Michigan guy, and may like it a little cooler than some!
    The clear water on Lake Glenville is what attracted me here. Many southern lakes are a little too murky for me. There are a lot of people who have a great view location above the lake, and keep a pontoon boat at the marina to use when they want to use the lake for the day. It is a great area, I would take a close look at it. I agree that there are some real values right now, but I think it may start appreciating again in 2-3 years. Building stopped a couple of years ago, and there will be some pent up demand when things get rolling again. There are huge numbers of baby boomers who will be entering the vacation property market over the next 5-10 years to support property values in this type of area. The northerners (Michigan, Ohio, etc.) and Floridians are all taking a good look at North Carolina mountains as a more desirable climate for part of the year. I am optimistic about the long run property values as a result.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. F1dreamer

F1dreamer Karting

Nov 10, 2008
    Atlanta
    Think Cashiers is a fine choice. In the summer we are up in Highlands about every other weekend. When it is 90 in Atlanta it is 80 in highlands. And the nights it gets in the high 60's low 70's, so it is great to leave the screen doors open and just listen to the crickets. That reminds me, I have to pack the car, we leave tommorrow for a 3 day weekend up there. Good luck on your choice.

16. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    John,

I don't see us moving out of Naples right now. I have a business here, my son and his family are here and my in-laws are also in Naples. But I also know enough to not try to predict the future so your points are well taken. I have a specific vision in my mind of a mountain home with 3-4 BRs, great room, office and with a 2 car garage. I also want a larger detached garage with a guest suite above. Most of the time there will be 3 of us [grandson......long story] at home. But we will have visitors from PA/DE, FL and Italy that will require more BRs when they come calling.

So although my wife is a true Florida girl I intend to plan on any potential situation. I know that making a "two step" move is not the right thing to do. I hope to find the right lot and build the house that fits our lifestyle......including a big garage!

17. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC

Rbtrader,

We did get a chance to look at one of the Lake Glenville new communities. I think it was called the Lake Club. Being as big as it is I would guess that there are other opportunities on the lake. Cashiers made our short list. Since we only toured one day I plan on coming back to view more properties.

It is hard to predict the future with respect to real estate values. My old rule was that plan to be in a home for 5 yrs if one needed to recoup their investment. But each market is unique in some way. Inventory and supply issues are what will dictate what happens in Cashiers. Floridians needing to sell their homes are not helping the market. But it too will pass...

Not sure if a lake community or mountain community [bordered by National forest] is more desirable for us. Clearly I need to spend more time to learn the lay of the land. Feel free to pitch in with any thoughts or comments.

18. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    OK Guys, just got up and lite a fire - temp at 3650 feet is 53 degrees left the florida Keys on Saturday morning and it was 93

19. Rbtrader

Rbtrader Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Chattanooga, TN
    Full Name:
    Rich Becherer
    SCantera

I know the Lake Club very well, the Friends of Lake Glenville conservation organization uses the clubhouse for an annual cocktail party. It is a very nice development, done by a very good developer. There are several similar developments on the lake, but I am not sure what is available in various developments. With your vision for your home/garage you may be better to not have a lakefront lot. Many projects provide larger off lake lots with good access to the lake and a deeded dock slip, and provide great views of the lake. Often the lakefront parcels are smaller and steeper which makes it difficult to squeeze it all in with a driveway to gain lakefront access.

I have a lakefront lot in Glen Pointe around the corner from what they call Waterfall Cove. We look down the lake toward the dam. My lot has 140 ft frontage and 1.15 acre, but it was tough to get down to the lake and fit a house and a garage. There are some nice lots available in a development across the cove from me called Summerhill. I know some people there who like it very well. There is a by-owner lakefront lot avilable with a seawall and a dock installed that has a sign on the water with an email address. I can get it for you when I go back in a couple of weeks. If you come back to the area I would be glad to give you a pontoon boat tour and I could recommend some real estate agents. From the water you can get a better feel for the lake and how the properties relate to the lake.

If you are really adventurous they are developing some beautiful homes on Buck Knob Island in the middle of the lake, but the cars stay on the mainland. The Pointe and Gray Cliffs are two other new projects. PM me and I'll send you my contact information if you want to talk further.

Rich

20. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    did the OP ever find a place?

21. Brian Elliston

Brian Elliston F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2009
    Clermont, FL
    Full Name:
    Brian Elliston
    If you require great views, give me a pm. I've got the best views in WNC and happen to know of an available lot.

22. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Husker,

Yes, we did find our spot in the mountains. We had narrowed our town/area choices down to 2.......Highlands/Cashiers and Blowing Rock. Although we preferred Blowing Rock there really were not any properties that we really liked on the market. This was unlike Cashiers where we found many choices and some good deals. It seemed we were heading that way.

But as luck would have it a Ferrari Fall Colors Drive was organized by the NC Chapter of the FCA in October. Set in a resort in Blowing Rock my family came up from FL for the weekend. The event was a good time with a great drive and fun socials. After the weekend my wife and I stayed on to look around Blowing Rock again. A property came on the market that was not available on our previous trip. It was a 10 acre property w/ gorge and mountain views, southern exposure, buildable area w/ reasonable slope.....and only 1 mile from the center of town. It hit all my hot buttons with location being the primary driver. As a developer/builder for the past 30 yrs I know a good property when I see one.

We are under contract and hope to close within the next 2 weeks. Design of our new home [and detached garage] is in the construction drawing phase and should be completed this week. I have interviewed 4 builders and am almost ready to put the package out to bid. [Fun being on the other side of the table for a change]. Our plans are to begin construction asap w/ hope to be in the home next spring.

So after my long-winded answer........yes we found our dream property. Can't wait. Blowing Rock will be a great home to summer and a fun place drive my Fcars.

best

23. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    #98 SCantera, Apr 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    On Friday we settled on our acquisition of 10 acres in the mtns. Located 1 mile from the center of Blowing Rock this site is everything we could have hoped for. Wooded, long views, south slope.........a dream come true!

House is already designed and out for pricing. Can't wait to get started. Our plan is to live in the mtns from June thru October before returning to Naples. Finally........a place to drive my cars!! I really look forward to joining the Carolina folks in various events and get togethers.

NC here we come! Here is a pic of our home-to-be.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Finlander likes this.
  24. newgentry

newgentry Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2007
    Johnson City, TN
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Congrats to you, that house looks beautiful. How long do you think it'll take to build it and move in?

25. DrStranglove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Congratulations.... Hey!!! Wait!!! No Garage???

:p