Replica California Spider displayed at Galleria Ferrari Maranello, #4309 GT | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Replica California Spider displayed at Galleria Ferrari Maranello, #4309 GT

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by Marcel Massini, Nov 27, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    I thought that S/N sounded familiar. I bought this car, as a derelict, in late 1988, from Darcy Podmoroff, a body-shop operator of Victoria, B.C., Canada, for $30,000, sight unseen. My backer/partner was my friend, Fred Hicks-Beach. Before moving it to Cal., I sold it to my friend Charlie (Karl) Gnadinger of Switzerland for $57,000. The car turned out to be worse than had been described, so Charlie was a bit unhappy. I never actually saw the car, but now that I see the pix I understand why it was converted.

2. Randy Forbes

Randy Forbes Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2006
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Sports Cars Plus,LLC
    The best the guide could hope for would be an onslaught of laryngitis ;)

3. Enzo Anselmo Ferrari

Enzo Anselmo Ferrari Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    France
    #78 Enzo Anselmo Ferrari, Dec 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. michael platzer

michael platzer F1 Veteran

Nov 12, 2003
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Michael Platzer
    chassisnumber?????

just joking!

5. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    wheels look funny.

6. Bill_OBrien

Bill_OBrien Formula Junior

Oct 28, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Bill O'Brien
    The epitome of hipocrisy....

If the factory makes a replica is it a replica?

I guess as long as putting fake Ferrari's in their museum doesn't effect their sales of Ferrari Puma clothing or Ferrari cologne they won't care...

7. willy.henderickx

willy.henderickx Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2005
    If i correctly remember, one of the first car certified was a 500Tr or 500TRC belonging to a charming Swiss gentleman and rebodied in Sweden by a bus coachbuilder.

Regards

Willy

8. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
  9. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    0610 MDTR owned since January 1994 by Dr. Giancarlo Galeazzi of Lugano, Switzerland. Yes, partially rebodied in May 1958 in Scandinavia. Certified on the 15th October 2003. However, this thread is not about Classiche, it is about displaying replicas in the Galleria in Maranello.

Marcel Massini

10. willy.henderickx

Mar 3, 2005
    Sorry Marcel for the diversion. I, wrongly, assumed that as people were wondering if Classiche would approve the behaviour of the Galleria'staff, I could quote Galeazzi's car.

I won't do again.

Willy

11. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Fennoscandia maybe, but not in Scandinavia.

12. Ligu

Ligu Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2009
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Michele
    #87 Ligu, Dec 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Maybe Toni Auto helped reconstructing the car, but apart from that they have nothing to do with the car. I'm pretty sure it belongs to Italian singer Antonio Ciacci, aka "Little Tony". He was very famous in Italy in the 60s and has always been an avid Ferrari collector. When I was at the Galleria last saturday, I had a chat with a guy who told me that Ciacci has owned 2 real 250 California and now has this replica.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Alex1015

Alex1015 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2005
    USA
    For enough money I think most anything will be certified.... I wonder what the point of Classiche is then?

14. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Same as the Tee Shirt concession.

15. 246tasman

246tasman Formula 3

Jun 21, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Will Tomkins
    Money

16. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    The red REPLICA California Spider displayed at the Galleria is not certified. It is a replica using 250 GTE components.

Marcel Massini

17. 500tr

500tr Formula 3

Feb 28, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Volkmar Spielmann
    Are you sure?

18. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I agree with Marcel and Alex.
    I cannot believe they have certified this car but If they have, then everyone that has paid thousands of pounds for their car to be Classiche, should get a refund as they have wasted their money.
    As Alex said whats the point of Classiche if they certified this?
    Grant

19. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #94 Marcel Massini, Dec 8, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
    The fact that a car is displayed in the Galleria does NOT automatically mean that the car is certified. I believe that whoever visits the Galleria normally can expect to see only genuine, non-modified or replica Ferraris. And this is obviously not the case here. It's a real pity.

Marcel Massini

20. 500tr

500tr Formula 3

Feb 28, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Volkmar Spielmann
    Marcel, I tried to make a joke.

On the other side, a Ferrari 250 is a Ferrari 250, really difficult to differ in between ;-)

21. 500tr

500tr Formula 3

Feb 28, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Volkmar Spielmann
    Is this car really not certified?

I remember this little story:
    The Ferrari Classiche Department had an very impressive exhibition stand at the TechnoClassica fair in Essen this year. Left of the stand Ferrari dealer Eberlein was situated, on the right Ferrari dealer Lueg Sportivo. Both dealers showed classic cars, Lueg Sportivo a very nice Daytona Coupe.
    Roberto Vaglietti, the Ferrari representative for the Ferrari Classiche stand, asked for the certification of the Daytona. As the people of Lueg Sportivo had to to deny because the car wasn't allready certified, the car was immidiately banned by Ferrari and had to leave the fair. Instead this nice Daytona they showed a 360CS the following days.

So tell me, can it be really true that this 250 at Galleria Ferrari is not certified?

22. willy.henderickx

Mar 3, 2005
    Roberto Vaglietti who is an honest man had left Ferrari SpA in the meantime.

Regards

Willy

23. davidgoerndt

davidgoerndt Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    David Goerndt

A replica is a replica no matter who does it. If Ferrari chooses to certify this car, then the whole certification process is bogus. The fact that they are displaying the car as something its not is bogus enough.

24. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe

How can Ferrari control what cars are shown at TechnoClassico?

Jack.

25. ggjjr

ggjjr Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    George
    When I visited the Museum, I did not (would not) assume, or expect, all of the cars to be certified, BUT, I would expect them to be REAL and GENUINE. Do other museums display replicas?

George