Replica California Spider displayed at Galleria Ferrari Maranello, #4309 GT | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Replica California Spider displayed at Galleria Ferrari Maranello, #4309 GT

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by Marcel Massini, Nov 27, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #26 Marcel Massini, Nov 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Guys, don't be naive. They don't WANT to know the truth and they don't care. They actually get rather upset when confronted with the truth. Here's a great example. Not too long ago the following happened in Maranello: In the engine assembly building are a few historic Ferraris on display, in the right corner, when you walk down the stairs. There's a Dino 206 GT, a 275 GTS, and a 166 MM/53 Coupé Vignale, chassis #0244 M, painted red, decorated with race #611, owned by the factory since many years (they had it restored by Dino Cognolato in Padova). One of the tour guides said that this is the 1952 Mille Miglia winning car. It has race #611 (Bracco-Rolfo). However, every kid knows that the 1952 Mille Miglia winning car was a 250 S Coupé Vignale. Yes, it did have race #611, but it was not a 166 MM/53!! The real 1952 MM winner is chassis #0156 ET. That car belongs to a private collector and not to the factory. So, when one of the visitors confronted the tour guide with the truth and stated that the car shown in the assembly building (and also occasionally on display at the Galleria in Maranello) the tour guide became really upset. The visitor insisted and protested and was finally kicked out.
    Below are photos of the two cars in question. The color photo shows the 166 MM/53 Coupé Vignale chassis #0244 M, incorrectly decorated with race #611 but NOT the 1952 MM winner. The black-white photo shows the real 1952 Mille Miglia winning type 250 S Coupé Vignale chassis #0156 ET.
    Do they know their cars? They don't. A good start to learn more would be counting the ovoid portholes...........
    PS: Before I forget, when I inspected 0244 M undergoing restoration for the factory at Cognolato's shop in Padova on 9th July 1990 it had TWO different chassis numbers stamped on the same tube in the engine compartment: one was 0244 M, the other one was 0049 S (which is from a 166 Inter Coupé Ghia). I absolutely love it!
    COPYRIGHT MARCEL MASSINI
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Thanks for sharing your knowledge Marcel. You certainly shine a bright light on some of the more interesting 'events' of the past!
    CH

3. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    It's my understanding that none of the P2's survive. For that reason, I consider it a service of historical value for AR Storico to have re-created them for display purposes. The parallel would be for Ferrari to build (as they did) a 125 S replica.

However, this whole situation is absurd.

richardowen is right. It's too bad someone can't bring a brief to the italian courts and have it seized and destroyed- for the sole purpose of rubbing Ferrari's nose in their own hypocrisy.

Many thanks to Marcel on this thread, and in general- for the eternal vigilance.

The vast majority of Ferrari people both care about the history AND either don't have or don't devote the time to really get to the bottom of what is true and what isn't.
    For a long time there have been shenanigans and hucksters simply based on the scarcity and value placed on these wonderful cars.
    It's a complete shame when in the case of this replica or in the case of 0244, the factory is clearly complicit.
    Semper Fi, Marcel!

Best,
    Dave

4. Il Vecchio

Il Vecchio F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2007
    Near Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    Peter B.
    Not to be a pendant, but the Alfa Museum's P2 is genuine. There's a 1930-modificato P2 in the Turin museum as well, as I recall.

The Tipi A and the Bimotore are recreations. The Ricotti trardrop car is a recreated body on an original chassis, I'm told.

Back on track...I agree with your and Marcel's comments.

5. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    #30 readplays, Nov 27, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
    Il Vecchio- Typo on my part.. I meant to say P1..
    Best,
    Dave

6. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Note the description of the "125 S" at the Galleria:

http://www.ferrari.com/English/News/Pages/091031_COR_Non_solo_rosse.aspx

res ipsa loquiter

7. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
  8. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Very interesting, Marcel. Thanks,

Jack.

9. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
  10. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

Unbelievable !! They kicked out the guy because he was right ! If i was the owner #156ET (btw, ET is Estabilimenti Touring ? ), i would have written them a letter asking them to stop misrepresenting the truth..

11. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    ET is an internal designator whereas Estabilimenti Touring would refer to a coachbuilder. The c/n is independent of coachbuilder because it comes beforehand- while the chassis is built it is numbered, only later is it clothed. Stabilimenti would be the word rather than Estabilimenti- one example would be Stabilimenti Farina. Touring was Carozzeria Touring.

IIRC, and I'm not certain that I do.., ET would be Export Tubolare. Hope this helps.

Best,
    Dave

12. arthobald

arthobald F1 Rookie

Jun 20, 2006
    Besancon 25
    Full Name:
    Nicolas JEANNIER
    #37 arthobald, Nov 28, 2009
  13. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Good one!

For the record, the 250 replica now has two outside mirrors (in 2007 it had only one on the driver's side).

14. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    France
    It's really scandalous to see such a car inside the Ferrari factory. (I mean what is left of that poor 250 GT 2+2).

15. 246tasman

246tasman Formula 3

Jun 21, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Will Tomkins
    I just really love the Italians!

They're the same as they always were.....

So are the people who continue to be surprised by them.

Enjoy the good cars and watch out for the f**ckers who are trying to rip you off. Luckily we can make everything we need these days ourselves, so sit back and enjoy the show!

16. buurman

buurman Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2004
    Full Name:
    cornelis leendert
    For those people who are visiting Guggenheim or Moma(Museum of modern art),
    is this nothing new( looking at a fake sculture/paiting) .
    A museum has an certain budget , and would like the ORDENAIRY public to show the hole overview of work of an certain artist.
    Well the fact that they would say its the REAL thing is not correct of course
    M.M. has nothing to do in such a museum ,the best overview is in his living I suppose.
    Much more interesting is this Question :

that there are too MANY matching number cars among us.

To find out a replica is relatively easy !
    that make those cars so symphatic.

ciao
    C.

17. buurman

buurman Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2004
    Full Name:
    cornelis leendert
    For those people who are visiting Guggenheim or Moma(Museum of modern art),
    is this nothing new( looking at a fake sculture/paiting) .
    A museum has an certain budget , and would like the ORDENAIRY public to show the hole overview of work of an certain artist.
    Well the fact that they would say its the REAL thing is not correct of course
    M.M. has nothing to do in such a museum ,the best overview is in his living I suppose.
    Much more interesting is this Question :

that there are too MANY matching number cars among us.

To find out a replica is relatively easy !
    that make those cars so symphatic.

ciao
    C.

18. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    #43 GermanDino, Nov 28, 2009
    The 246 GT displayed at the Galleria Ferrari has chassis no. #01656. There ist a second car with the same chassis no. running in Japan.
    #01656 is a M-Serie car. The front of the displayed Dino, see picture, is a front for E-Serie Dinos from 1972 onwards. (short bumpers and round air intake holes).
    So either the whole car is wrong and restamped, or at least the front was not restaurated to original specifications.
    Anyway. Very very embarrassing !!!

19. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I wouldn't be so sure that things would be different in Enzo's days. Numerous articles point to his not caring about the past, race cars scrapped or sold off for pennies on the dollar.

If anything, at least they are being consistent...

20. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    To be honest this thread is making me very upset.
    I have visited the Galleria Ferrari many, many times over the years.
    I never expected something like this from them.

:(

21. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Surely it is certified.............

Marcel Massini

22. buurman

buurman Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2004
    Full Name:
    cornelis leendert
    #47 buurman, Nov 28, 2009
    Hi,a little bit honest they are
    they called this car Tony 1, Ha
    Toni auto is on the orther side of the steet.
    For those who don't know opposite Headquarters.
    The made a new block for the famous SWB droven once by Steling Moss.
    the original motor is own by Toni Auto a few yards away, well i saw it once there.
    not sure if the still have it.
    anymore questions?

Cornelis

23. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Will it be crushed, or at least impounded?

24. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    I agree. All they had to do is declare it's real lineage. Then even the expert could say "Ok it's really a nice looking car and at least they were honest about it. Maybe the folks at Classiche and Galleria are actually trying to do the right thing. just one man's opinion tongascrew

25. Enzo Anselmo Ferrari

Enzo Anselmo Ferrari Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    France
    The immatriculation is "San Marino".... Jean Todt lives there...
    I went to Torino, at Pininfarina, and a guy said to me that they sold their 250 BPC to Jean Todt, and the Rosse to a Japan owner!