Boxer Buyers Guide | Page 9 | FerrariChat

Boxer Buyers Guide

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Newman, Oct 6, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    #201 JazzyO, Nov 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    €80k is pretty low for that car. It was sold for €125 at Maranello in 2008. For a decent car, €120-130k is still the price bracket in Europe. The UK is different.

The stacks are less correct than the ANSA exhaust, which was a period upgrade. They look good, though. Funnily enough, I tried to buy that car last year and got screwed around by the broker. This week I got a PM from the owner he got screwed around too!

If anyone's interested, I can put you in touch with the owner so you can avoid going through this useless broker. Asking price is €120k. Haven't seen the car myself but it looks nice enough on the pics. The leather on the seats is clearly not original, however (Daytona inserts without holes).

Onno
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. mrp_e

mrp_e Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2003
    Coasts
    Full Name:
    Bill
    wait, tell me more about the ansa exhaust being a period upgrade. i hate the wimpy little triplets look of the correct 365 exhaust. it's one of the three design elements i don't like on my 365, and never thought i had the option to give it the ballsier look of the fat twin pipes while staying true to original spec.

those sharp-tipped dual pipe ANSAs would be considered "correct"? what about to the hard core rule-keepers, like concourse judges?

thanks much, onno

3. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    The ANSA exhaust was available in 1974 already, if I'm not mistaken. It was a frequently used upgrade as it sounds better than the original (well - duh, it was meant to be a sports exhaust). Power should be up a little too.

I will be restoring my 365 over the next year but I am not going to go back to the original exhaust. Like you, I like the look much better of the ANSA and I like the sound too. I saw one of the best Boxers in the country last Saturday and noted it had an ANSA too... that guy owns 12 Ferraris so if it's good enough for him... :)

What concours judges will think I do not know - that's something that doesn't hold interest for me, sorry.

Onno

4. mrp_e

mrp_e Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2003
    Coasts
    Full Name:
    Bill
    that's it, i'm hooked. i have to do this too.
    looks better, sounds better, more power, i'm sold.
    thanks much for the scoop.

5. red bb512

red bb512 Karting

Oct 7, 2008
    zwanenburg Netherlan
    Full Name:
    maarten v/d Sluijs
    I have the ANSA system on my BB512 from 1977.
    The headers for te ANSA are from the 365 BB ans not from the BB512.
    They end upwards and not strait like the BB512
    This is the problem if you want a TUBY 2 can system becaus you need BB512 headers.

Maarten

6. maxwell002

maxwell002 Rookie

Mar 3, 2005
    Does anyone have photos of a correct 1980 512BB interior including carpets , seats and steering wheel?

7. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
  8. Bryanf1

Bryanf1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2007
    Connecticut
    On the rear shot of that 365BB there is a prancing horse and BB emblem to the right of the left side tailights.It looks really good but I've never seen that before.Is that unique to that car or are there others like it?

9. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Added on. The 365BB only said ferrari on the top of the clamshell, the 512 versions came with BB512 or BB512i above the left tail lamps and ferrari on the top. The location of the ferrari script moved around on the 365BB lid due to the two different rear clamshells they came with. None of them to my knowledge came from the factory with a horse on the rear.

10. lussoman

lussoman Karting

Sep 7, 2008
    Hi Newman,
    I am new to the board, and have found your restorations inspirational and very helpful. I have a 308 GT4 that I am currently doing a high level "Newman" grade restoration on and next to it in the garage is my 1982 Boxer BBi that is one of my prized possessions.

If you could help with a couple of questions. For the 308 you plated the alternator fan blade and various hardware silver, was that zinc or clear cadmium plate? A second question on the Boxer, my boxer is actually the same car that was featured in the brochure for the BBi, it is the silver with black Boxer trim car and has the gray fabric insert material used in the seats, head liner and door pockets. I have looked everywhere to source this fabric to redo the seats and have called all of the usual suspects who came up empty. The fabric was produced by Zegna in Italy, do have any leads on this stuff, ideas where to look? Thanks

Chris

11. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Thanks Chris you should start a thread in the 308 section so we can see your project! I hear parts for the GT4 are much harder to find and most costly than the GTB/GTS so I feel for you. The fan and pulley were plated in clear zinc as well as everything else that colour.

I have that brochure, thats pretty cool you have that very car. Could you give us the chassis number so I can note that down on my list? I dont have a source for that seat material and Ive heard others are coming up dry when looking as well. My car has the tan version of what you need and when it comes time to do my seats I might have to just go solid leather which I dont want to do. Did you try Gahh and Ferrparts?

12. stevenschuh

stevenschuh Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2008
    Gibson Island, MD
    Full Name:
    Steve Schuh
    I just purchased a set for my 512BBi. Kendall Merritt at Dew Motorcars sourced them for me. I'm sure he'd be glad to get you a set. He can be reached at 703 544 0019.

13. CarbBoxer

CarbBoxer Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2008
    Houston
    Full Name:
    PW
    There is a set of three ear knock offs on ebay. Search for item #330392096063.

14. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    Anyone know anything on the BB512i thats on Universal Autosports website? In one of the front clamshell photos there appears to be leather tie down strap with nothing underneath it. Is something missing? I will be looking at the car next week.
    Thanks

15. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

the leather strap is to hold the tool suitcase. some dealers take them out of the car until the sale...for safe keeping.

16. sbpwjm

sbpwjm Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2007
    Red Bank, NJ
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I think this is where the toolkit goes. That the toolkit isn't in the picture doesn't mean they don't have it because some don't stow the tools in the car. Although, I'd think they would have a separate shot of "accessories" that come with the car (toolkit, owner's manual, radio manual, etc).

Ask about its whereabouts though...

17. sbpwjm

sbpwjm Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2007
    Red Bank, NJ
    Full Name:
    Scott
    : ) yes... what he said, must have been typing slower...

18. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    Well thanks for the great help guys. Is this a hard suitcase type or a rolled toolbag? The car certainly looks nice in the pictures doesnt it?
    www.universalautosports.com

19. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Should have a rolled brown bag with snaps in a zipped pouch that matches the interior color with a horse stamped in the leather.

20. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    Thanks Newman

21. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    FWIW My '84 SN 51723, has a black tool roll that snaps shut exactly like my '79 308GTB. This tool roll fits inside a zippered square-ish leather bag that is the same color as my interior leather (Connoly 3208). The Ferrari horse symbol is stamped on the leather cover in the center of the pouch. The zipper is black cloth.
    Fortunately all of my tools are present, as are all other items in the jack bag! Interesting to note, several of the tools are exactly like the 308 tools, and can be substituted.

22. stevenschuh

stevenschuh Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2008
    Gibson Island, MD
    Full Name:
    Steve Schuh
    Guys -- Speaking of the Boxer tool roll, I am restoring my 1983 BBi and need a replacement hammer. Anyone have one available or know where I should look? Thanks.

Steve Schuh

23. 300GW/RO

300GW/RO Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    east end LI
    Full Name:
    Jack
    thoughts on yellow/black for 512bb as combination--thumbs up or down? I am looking into such a car and have not seen many this combo--it is orginal. Thanks

24. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    Hey Steve, Just saw this post. You've probably already found one by now. I got my from T. Rutlands. Wasn't unreasonable, maybe $75 or so. I'd imagine Ricambi has them too.

25. wlanast

wlanast Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 9, 2007
    Santa Ana,California
    Full Name:
    William
    I think you are asking about yellow/black boxer bottom. If so, maybe the best combo for a car that looks great in many colors.

Two big thumbs up as far as I'm concerned!