Ferrari 400 Registry | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 400 Registry

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by FerrariKingV12, Oct 17, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    #51 jtremlett, Oct 22, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
    VM 3218 is the lighter (and most common) beige. VM 846 is a bit darker. When I see these in real life I generally regard 3218 as Beige and 846 as Tan but that might not be that helpful as both words are used interchangeably.

By the way, s/n 42052 is incorrect in your Registry. This car is s/n 65185.

66559 is also incorrect. That should be s/n 48931.

38835 should be s/n 78445.

I suspect what you thought was the serial number for these was some other reference. As Lars has already mentioned all serial numbers for 400s below 75000 will be odd numbers.

Jonathan

2. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    A new model specific registry sounds to be helpful and fun!! I personally am looking much forward to this. Properly done, this could ascend to something like the 348"Brotherhood". Also, I would just love to find out more of the history on my 1980 400i Ser. 1 ser.#28903. I have had my car for 10-12 years. It's a Dallas, Texas car now in Florida with very little history,and I've kept it up nicely. Any help on this at all will be much appreciated. Thank you..Jacques.

3. FerrariKingV12

FerrariKingV12 Karting

Nov 21, 2008
    Laguna Beach CA
    Full Name:
    JR
    We are going to put an item on the registry that says, I know something about this car, and a user can add comments and if appropriate we will add them to the profile of the car, so after some time the site should evolve into more info on the cars.

There are a few guys here on Ferrari Chat who are already experts and might be able to add some detail about your car. I am sure they can give you some feedback

4. FerrariKingV12

FerrariKingV12 Karting

Nov 21, 2008
    Laguna Beach CA
    Full Name:
    JR
    I updated the exterior and interior colors and am going to post the totaled or parts cars tonight.

5. oldcoin

oldcoin Formula Junior

May 1, 2006
    Reno NV
    Full Name:
    Tony Mitchell
    JR,
    Just a quick note about pictures. When I mouse over the pictures, I get bigger pictures that pop up and to the right. An unfortunate result of this is that the right most picture pops up and to the right and half way off the screen allowing me to see only 1/2 the bigger picture.

Tony

6. FerrariKingV12

FerrariKingV12 Karting

Nov 21, 2008
    Laguna Beach CA
    Full Name:
    JR
    I thought we had fixed that problem yesterday and they were supposed to be kept to a certain size so they wouldn't be to big. Sometimes the problem is the size of the picture that someone uploaded or different settings and monitor sizes by computer.

I will advise Viranya in the AM and see if there is anything else we can do to make it better.

Thanks for the input.

JR
    www.ferrari400.com

7. FerrariKingV12

FerrariKingV12 Karting

Nov 21, 2008
    Laguna Beach CA
    Full Name:
    JR
    Hey, I just found a really great video of a Ferrari 412 from a band called Daft Punk. I do not get the music but the 412 cruising around looks great. There were a few others but this one was the best. I am putting it up on the Registry media page in the AM. Check it out

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWYIY-2R9n4

JR
    www.ferrari400.com

8. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    I just went on the registry. Good start!

One minor stylistic note: the steering wheel in the header bar is from a modern Ferrari. Since the site is gdedicated to a particular series, shouldn't a steering wheel, or other image, from the correct type of car be there?

Regards,

Art S.

9. FerrariKingV12

FerrariKingV12 Karting

Nov 21, 2008
    Laguna Beach CA
    Full Name:
    JR
    Good point, let me see what kind of change I could come up with.

10. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    That's really intense and I applaud your effort. I would love to see that list one day. Can I assume you also keep tabs on cars outside of the states?

11. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    The car listed in the Registry as 10869 should be 18069. Also you still have 74374 listed when it is actually 55145.

Jonathan

12. FerrariKingV12

FerrariKingV12 Karting

Nov 21, 2008
    Laguna Beach CA
    Full Name:
    JR
    Got it, I will unable to have fixed until Monday. Thank you for reveiwing.
    JR
    www.ferrari400.com

13. FerrariKingV12

FerrariKingV12 Karting

Nov 21, 2008
    Laguna Beach CA
    Full Name:
    JR
    Yes, my goal would be to have records on evey 365, 400 and 412 in the world having a second to none resource for owners. Our cars are great cars and somewhere along the line became a red headed step child for what reason I am unsure but I want to start to build some history, mystique and value about our cars.

Like anything this will take years but hopefully over time and assistance from other Ferrari fans it will become what I envision.

JR
    www.ferrari400.com

14. FerrariKingV12

FerrariKingV12 Karting

Nov 21, 2008
    Laguna Beach CA
    Full Name:
    JR
    I checked out the 348 brotherhood and I see he publishes a magazine and is a resource for the 348. I want to do something similar with more than likely a quarterly e-mail with a variety of information on our cars.

As far as your car if you have any pictures or note go ahead and register your car. I added a feature that gives the ability to add information on a car. When you click on a vin to veiw it gives that option. I have already gotten one e-mail from a guy who said he owned a car on the registry for eleven years and has all the records and receipts. The car I pulled of an internet listing so do not have the correct owner yet. I am sure with time more information can be discovered.

15. any_1

any_1 Formula 3

Sep 6, 2006
    Sweden
    #65 any_1, Oct 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This conversion is in Sweden since june 15th 2000. It was bought from an actor in California. chassis F101CL-32023 according to the Swedish vehicle register...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. FerrariKingV12

FerrariKingV12 Karting

Nov 21, 2008
    Laguna Beach CA
    Full Name:
    JR
    I will put in the registry, do you know the mileage and if it is a 5 speed or manual?? Also if you know who did the conversion to a convertible. Since so many 400s have been converted I think we should track who did the conversions. Any other info and I will put in registry??

17. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    The car above (32023) is an automatic.

18. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    #68 finnerty, Oct 24, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
    Good Lord !!!! You're kidding ???

I didn't think any of these beasts still existed ---- certainly not enough for a "registry", anyway. I thought they all got wiped out with the dinosaurs -- LOL

19. FerrariKingV12

FerrariKingV12 Karting

Nov 21, 2008
    Laguna Beach CA
    Full Name:
    JR
    Yes, they are still around, kind of like fifty is the new 30 the 400 is like the new Enzo.

20. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    JR I really think you might want to reconsider how you're getting info on the site versus your goal.
    If you're really trying to do what you say you are then it is really important that the info you post is correct. A good example is 45535. Read what you have posted then read this:

ZFFEB07B000045535
    400i 5-speed
    2003 cabriolet conversion
    10/02 ffor sale C. Schmidt (MO) $49.9k 36k miles, 6/03 for sale C. Schmidt (MO) $40k 38k miles, 1/04 for sale Motorcar Gallery (FL) $41.5k 24.4k miles (mileage doesn't match), 4/2009 for sale in Denver (CO) $69k, 5/2009 for sale Ebay (CO), 41k miles, bank repo, blue/tan interior, black exterior, 10/2009 on Ebay (CO)

Now don't get me wrong. I appreciate your enthusiasm and your objective. I really do. But I also think posting incorrect info can do more harm than good.

21. FerrariKingV12

FerrariKingV12 Karting

Nov 21, 2008
    Laguna Beach CA
    Full Name:
    JR
    Any idea on year and mileage??

22. FerrariKingV12

FerrariKingV12 Karting

Nov 21, 2008
    Laguna Beach CA
    Full Name:
    JR
    Dave:

You and it appears a couple of other guys have pretty much all the information on most if not all of the cars in the US and maybe in the world. I think it is great that you have the information and I understand the difficulty and time to which you and others have gone to obtained this information. I cruise the internet for what seems like days trying to find vins and information on our cars.

The particular post you reference I obtained from the internet and am unsure of why I put automatic because pictures would show it is a manual. I am having Viranya, the programmer, set me up with a quick fix option so I do not have to have him go into the database to make the changes. It slows the process down. We added a couple of days ago a check sheet before you actually register the car and added a place for people to add info to the car.

I agree posting wrong information does not really do anyone any good and with correct information it brings a since of intergrity to the site. There are a few other mistakes I am aware of that I am trying to get cleaned up as well on the registry which has to do with colors and interiors. I was able to obtain correct info when another Ferrari Chat member supplied me the actual names.

You and others would be a great resource to make the site better but it is up to you and those who posses the knowledge to bring it truly up to speed. I can list you and others as contributers to the site but coming short of that the only other thing I can do is spend the next ten years trying to gather the same information and post it to the site. Hopefully correctly or have someone send me a note like yourself pointing out a mistake.

Of the 40 plus entries we have 10 were posted by the actual owners of the car with a couple of europeans putting up their 412 one of which sent me a very nice e-mail. I also got a previous owner sending me an e-mail telling me he had all the records for a particular vin he had once owned and wantee to get it to the new owner. Unfortunately it was an internet listing so I cannot reach the current owner. These kind of things make me think I am onto something good for us and our cars.

I still think the registry is the right direction to go for our cars and would really appreciate yours and others help.

As you know, thanks to your help, I have some totaled vins for the 400 but I do not know the years transmission types and all specifics about their cases for all I know there might be a breakdown of how vin numbers correlate to certain years but am unsure.

If possible I wish I could get you and others to post information or share it with me. I am more than happy to credit you or others as the source.

I am a big boy and can handle criticism and I appreciate you pointing out mistakes. I am a few weeks into actually having the site up and would say I am working out the bugs. I would love to hear from you and others about improving the site and am more than happy to discuss over the telephone, in the thread or through private e-mail.

23. FerrariKingV12

FerrariKingV12 Karting

Nov 21, 2008
    Laguna Beach CA
    Full Name:
    JR
    What if I set up a status of where the VIN is researched or credited to certain guys like yourself or others who know the history of the cars. We could have a column which had initials like JR DC or AS. If an owner registers the car or says a listed one is his we change the status to claimed all the others would be unclaimed.

24. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    An ad on FChat in 2004 for the car said that it was Straman. 30,000 miles at the time.

25. FerrariKingV12

FerrariKingV12 Karting

Nov 21, 2008
    Laguna Beach CA
    Full Name:
    JR
    Thank you for the info. Do you know if there is a break down by vin numbers which says what years a car was produced and by the vin number knowing if a car is an automatic or manual? I ran across the following information on the internet but am unsure of accuracy:

365 GT4 2+2
    Production started: 1972
    Production ended: 1976
    Total production: 528, 133 RHD
    First serial number: 15897
    Last serial number: 19709

400 GT - Five-speed and Automatic
    Production started: 1976.
    Production ended: 1979.
    Total production: 501, 354 auto; 164 RHD, 137 auto.
    First serial number: 19353 (auto), 20789 (five-speed).
    Last serial number: Auto: 29051; Five-speed: 28261.

400i - Five-speed and Automatic
    Production started: 1978.
    Production ended: 1984.
    Total production: 1,294, 873 auto; 180 RHD, 152 auto.
    First serial number: 23855(?).
    Last serial number: 55523 (auto).

412 - Five-speed and Automatic
    Production started: 1985.
    Production ended: 1991.
    Total production: 576, 306 auto; 85 RHD, 61 auto.
    First serial number: 58629(?).
    Last serial number: 87945(?).

I do not know if there is a more detailed breakdown or not.