Should I buy another California? | FerrariChat

Should I buy another California?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by jgetz, Sep 9, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jgetz

jgetz Rookie

Feb 17, 2008
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    J Getz
    Hello all – you may remember I was the guy who received the first Ferrari California in the Midwest but was disappointed that I didn’t get the shields. Long story (link below), but the board helped me with my decision to keep the car as-is and not try and retrofit shields onto the car. Well, I did love the car; the way it drives, the creature comforts and the looks it received. But every time I would walk up to it I was reminded of my missing Scuderia shields. As a result I decided to sell the car after having it a little less than 3 months.
    Now to my question: Should I buy/order another? I’ll be ordering the 458 as soon as humanly possible, but I’m curious if I should order another California and enjoy it until the 458 arrives, which could be May or December of 2010. Who knows, that’s Ferrari after all.

Any opinions?

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?p=138796501#post138796501

2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    My suggestion: get over it.

Sorry, just some tough love.

3. jgetz

jgetz Rookie

Feb 17, 2008
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    J Getz
    Perhaps I should have been a little more specific with my question. I was able to sell the car for what I paid for it – 100% recovery, freight, etc. So the way I look at it was I had a FREE California for 3 months. And since I don’t know when the 458 will be available I’m wondering if I should order another California so I have a nice car to drive next spring while I wait for my 458. However it is my assumption my next California will depreciate, and therefore there will be a hold cost. Curious if anyone has any insight into the demand for California’s, etc.

Thanks for the feedback!

4. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #4 TheMayor, Sep 9, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
    Ok, well, then go for it if it will make you happy.

Personally, the shield thing is being way too overdone on my opinion. (I have an issue with 80's cars that have shield labels slapped on them -- they seem out of place to me). But, if it matters that much to you, by all means do what makes you feel best.

I'll tell you something though. I ordered my Maserati Spyder in the wrong metallic gray color. When I got it, I was shocked. Then, the more I saw it and the more people commented on it, the more I liked it. Now, I'm glad for the mistake.

5. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    OUCH !

I would be so pissed at myself

6. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #6 TheMayor, Sep 9, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
    At first, I was. It was clearly my mistake.

Then, I started to like it. Now, I love it as most people do when they see it. In fact, if I hadn't had the Maser already in that color, I would have ordered the F430 in it. I'm just happy I decided to not order it in Yellow as I originally did. I've seen them in yellow and really don't like them (sorry any yellow Mas spyder owners out there!)

I had a bigger issue with the Cambio gearbox. When I first got it, I hated it. Then, they updated the software and the hydraulics and put in new clutch and it worked like a charm.

But, for the first few months of owning the car, I was kicking myself over that one. 8 years later, I still have it and enjoy driving it.

Anyway, let's get back to the thread. Sorry for stealing it!

7. 412monzaindy

412monzaindy Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Full Name:
    PBI
    Saw one stopped by me at an intersection this morning. Black with shields.

I like it.!!

8. agrun

agrun Formula Junior

May 24, 2009
    FLA
    THERE WILL BE A HOLD COST ON YOUR NEXT ONE. NO DOUBT. FERRARI OF DENVER CAN GIVE YOU HIS THOUGHTS. MY GUESS IT MAY BE A LITTLER STEEER THAN YOU ARE READY FOR. ALTHOUGH, ARE YOU GETTING A 458 COUPE OR SPIDER. IF THE LATTER, YOU WILL HAVE TO WAIT MUCH LONGER, SINCE IT WONT BE OUT UNTIL WELL AFTER THE COUPE

9. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Shelds = race car ... California is most definitely not a race car.

There are already millions of Ferrari badges all over modern Ferraris screaming for attention, no need to scream any louder ... but your car. Such a weird reason to sell a perfectly good car to me.
    Pete

10. Max4HD

Max4HD Formula 3

Jun 20, 2006
    Florida
    #10 Max4HD, Sep 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. Moogle

Moogle Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Tom
    If you can't live without having OEM, stamped shields... get a new car.
    Personally it's not worth the hassle to me.

12. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005

OMG! A FERRARI WITHOUT SHIELDS!

Sell it immediately. A Ferrari without shields is not a Ferrari.:)

13. jeff

jeff Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    North America
    First, don't buy another Cali GT. Wait for the 458. Second, you didn't know it but shields are passe now. At the 458 unveiling all three cars were sans shields. Even Ferrari thinks the shields are not needed.

14. marknkidz

marknkidz Formula 3

Oct 7, 2004
    so cal
    Full Name:
    mark
    hmmm....

the 458 is going to be a tough ticket to get!!

i bet if you go in and order a new california...with the agreement (in writing) of being number XX on the list for a 458, you would insure getting a 458. Plus you will enjoy the California till it gets here!!

good luck!! nice dilema to be in!!

15. jgetz

jgetz Rookie

Feb 17, 2008
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    J Getz
    #15 jgetz, Sep 10, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
    Thanks for the feedback everyone, as usual there are plenty of opinions on the subject :) I agree that shields are not as important for resale (after all I got 100% of my money out of the car). Like many of you I order cars for what I like. And, I like Scuderia Shields. Plain and simple…

As for ordering another California or waiting for the 458, I suppose I’ll wait to see what my dealer says about the expected delivery dates for the F430 replacement.

16. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Please let us know about what your dealer says is a realistic US arrival time for the 458 Italia. I am thinking about getting this car too.

17. Maximus

Maximus Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2009
    Assen, NL
    Full Name:
    Jurgen
    Personally I would care that I didn't have the shields on my Ferrari. But would this be worth the depreciation of some thousands of dollars? No way. I understand that you don't like it, I wouldn't either but that doesn't account for "burning" your dollars on depreciation. Keep the California and go for the 458 if possible :)

Just check the order of the new 458 Italia very very carefully ;)

18. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I love the shield, but since it is the shield of the Scuderia, IMHO it should only be put on cars with a racing pedigree or purpose. If you track your car, it earns the shields, if its a 430 Scuderia, Stradale, or 355 Challenge car, it earns the shields. Otherwise, I am content to just have a Ferrari.

Just my .02

19. AJ

AJ Formula 3

Jun 23, 2008
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Sell the California and get your money back. Order a 458. Buy a CS to keep you busy.

20. FJerry

FJerry Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2004
    United States
    I say get what you like.

If the Cali drove badly or was somehow a disaster and you didn't know that then getting the opinions is useful. As it is, the opinions are just that. Once you get past the financial side, this is a decision to be made with the heart IMHO. FWIW I like how the shields look on the Cali.

21. BigP1202

BigP1202 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2007
    Sarasota, Florida
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I second this.

22. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Much ado about nothing.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

23. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I'm on your side, I love the look if the shields and wouldn't have a car without them. I think of it as paying homage to the racing history. But in the end you have to do what makes you happy regardless of what others think.

PS bdelp, I am now very curious to see what your maserati looks like.

24. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    You could have had a body-shop place the shields in the same way the factory does it.

25. HolyRoller

HolyRoller Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2008
    SE NC
    Full Name:
    Captain Slow
    Huh ... I didn't even notice!

I guess it's like the Marines say--if you're late, nobody misses you til you get there.