Mondial help | FerrariChat

Mondial help

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by dino_dino, Aug 9, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dino_dino

dino_dino Rookie

Aug 9, 2009
    Hi all

I am new here and also new to the world of Ferrari

My dream is a Mondial. A Ferrari that will also be a good GT, a good GT with room in the back for small friends or kids..........

I love the looks of them, solid, cool and with a "back seat".

But, what to look out for when seeking one?
    How are they to run as a day to day car?
    How about quality? I was told that the mondial was the best yes, THE BEST, Ferrari made.....was it?????

How is the ride, I am thinking of using it as a GT.

All help is good to me.

Kind regartds
    dino_dino

2. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #2 JoeZaff, Aug 9, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
    All of the information you seek and plenty more is available to you by using the search function. It will be far more helpful then any information you may get in the limited responses to this thread. To use the search function, click on the blue bar near the top of your screen. I would suggest doing some searches and coming back with specific questions. If you have difficulty, there is an FAQ section. If you still can't find the information, I will do my best to track down some old threads on this topic. In short, the Mondial is a wonderful car, it is one of my favorite Ferraris and a pleasure to own...it is not, however, even in my horribly biased view, the Best Ferrari made, it is not even close. I mean, you got some real heavy hitters in the Ferrari past and present lineup :) That being said, it is one of my favorite Ferraris of all time.

It is, a brilliantly designed car as comfortable on the backroads as droning down the interstate. It is surprisingly roomy for what it is and is a great car to take on a getaway. The good ones are reliable, the bad ones are horrific, like any other Ferrari.

Welcome to the board!

3. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #3 Michael B, Aug 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Joe words it well when he says "...The good ones are reliable, the bad ones are horrific, like any other Ferrari..."

I happened across a good one many years ago and have had little more than normal maintenance since. It has been a really good Ferrari experience. And talk about a good GT, it is fantastic.

Even after all of these years I walk out to the car sitting in the driveway or parked at the curb and I am captured by its presence.

There are people here that don't get it (haven't owned one), and there are people here who do (you may be one). Either way you are on the right track.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff
    I read somewhere that the Mondial was built to the same standards as a Porsche. NOT TRUE! As has been said many many times before, buy the best you can afford, allow a good budget for maintenance and enjoy. The Mondial truly is a car for all purposes. Ten years down the track and the smiles just keep on coming!

5. oliv928

oliv928 Karting

Aug 14, 2008
    France, Toulouse
    I like my 3.2QV mondial very much, with its beauty, its qualities and defaulfts. The main defaults are : its weight, the steering wheel ( heavy at very low speed, precise but not adapted to a sporty driving, I dont know why.) and, to my mind, the gearbox arangment which is too low. Its qualities, You may know them : spacious, comfortable, great engine, good performance, nice design, 4 seater, stable on road, easy to drive.
    Concerning maintenance and reliabiliity: the mechanics seems good and robust. The electrics, well , .... Ferrari. I think the main problem is due to : the fusebox, and the aged and middle quality connectors. I think if someone can replace all these connectors, life should be more easy.
    Anyway, if You find one, I think You will be lucky, as we here, are with our mondials.
    Good luck.

6. RichardAguinsky

RichardAguinsky Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2007
    Palo Alto, Californi
    Full Name:
    Richard Aguinsky
    #6 RichardAguinsky, Aug 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi Dino_Dino,

By now, you should have spent many nights reading all you can in these posts, as we all did.

If you will do your own service, you must be wondering how you will be replacing the front spark plugs, front valves, etc.

Below is a picture of a sweet secret only applicable to Mondial Cabs. I didn't know this after I got the car and opened up the panel behind the rear seats.

Let me tell you, it is the first time I ever worked in car, adjusting the valves, sitting on a leather sofa. :cool:

Go for the Mondi! You will not regret it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    I have had a Mondial 3.2 for 7 1/2 years, and it is my daily driver. I have put 55,000 miles on the car. I believe it is a great option for the money, because it is well constructed, surprisingly reliable, comfortable, reasonably fast, handles well, and sounds great. The AC works well, the components are mostly GM, and I bought a new AC compressor for $169. Many components can be rebuilt cheaply (alternator & voltage regulator for $85), and many are standard BOSCH parts. The car is great on the highway or on mountain roads and has a ton of room when used as a two seat grand tourer. The interior holds up very well as does the paint, and the car will not rust. The Mondial's seating for 4 is as reasonable as that of a Mustang or Camaro and better than a 911's. And, hell, it's a Ferrari for the price of a Honda. Finally, parts are usually available, and the guys at Riccambi, T Rutland's, and others are superb for assistance.

Problems: 1. The ECU is in a hole in the right side of the trunk, which makes it prefectly placed to get dripped on by the absurd radio antenna mechanism (which is basically an upside down cup with a hole in the bottom). 2. The car is about 350 - 400 pounds overweight, with all the expected ramifications (heavy steering at slow speeds, not blindingly fast, etc). 3. A few parts are overpriced (distributor caps, plug wires, shock absorbers).

Enjoy it!

8. oliv928

oliv928 Karting

Aug 14, 2008
    France, Toulouse
    if i had to buy a new mondial, here are the points i would consider :

1/ do i need a T ? this question is still in my mind because of the new features T offers (powered steering, electronic user set suspension, more power). I did not buy a T because F mechanician told me not to do, coz of course majour service cost. But now, I wonder : did I make the right choice ? Majour service is more expensive, Yes, but how often will I do it ? every 4 years ? I think I would really like to try a T, and feel the user difference, and then feed elements to my decision. Anyway I have a 3.2, I like it ( specially the bodyshell design that I prefer against the T. Wings shape, larger air intakes. The 3.2 bodyshell design is more attractive to me : more agressive and sporty. I think the T returns to a more civilized shape as the 8 was : longer and thiner.

2/When my choice is done I would CHECK EVERY ELECTRICAL USERS FUNCTIONS of the car (windows, windows speed, elec fuel trap, elec bonnets, gauges, every ext and interior lights,...). And if too many are not working I would ask for lower price, if the price is closed to a perfect model price, or go away. For my actual car I did not do that, putting to much trust in the vendor. Ok, the car was cheap, so I do not have regrets, because the engine and the inside of the car is cery nice. But I put some K$ in repairing the electricals, and it is still not perfect now.

By the way, did You find your mondi ??

9. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    I too am new to the 87 Mondial QV 3.2, just 1 month in my possession. I've never been so happy. I love it but would like to fix the electric trunk release circuit and the electric driver's rear view mirror.

Any suggestions?

Jay

10. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Among the many on the fuse box board, there is a relay that must work for the trunk release to work. It's one of the cuboid silver boxes. Pull the relay for the trunk and substitute one of the similar ones that you know is working (maybe wipers, horn, headlight motors, etc). CAREFUL!!!! Be sure to turn off the battery switch (located next to the battery) to cut off the juice. Also note that there are at least 2 different relay types; don't mix apples with oranges when pulling a good relay to test the trunk release function.

I know this is simplistic and you probably tries it already, but it worked for me. Good Luck!!!

11. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    My experience with a 1988 3.2 cab has been excellent.

Only obvious problem specific to the car is the fuse box connecter meltdown potential, with no really easy fix - mines ok, cleaned the contacts but there are some signs of connector overheating, and probably just a question of when it fails. Anything else, like water pump bearings, are not really unique to a Ferrari of age and milage.

I think it is underrated to not replace all fuel lines. In this car, a fuel leak can mean a car fire, as all the lines are around hot things like the cat at the engine area. Not a huge job, but a finicky thing that would take some labour. Same thing with the expensive coils. If one fails, you get fuel dumped into the exhaust, and risk a cat fire. Wouldn't let this scare you away, its just the implications of a race style twin distributor ingition, and the mid engine design. Would be the same probelm on other cars of similar design.

12. Sandahl

Sandahl Rookie

Dec 1, 2006
    If you like the Mondial's looks (as I do) it's really a lot of car for the money. I bought an '88 3.2 cab with just under 20,000 miles in 2007 and I have been able to maintain it entirely myself by drawing from the incredible resources here. The build quality and interior at least by the 3.2 generation is very nice and the mechanicals seem like they were well sorted out by then too. A 1988+ even has ABS brakes that seem to work as well today as any. It's a car you can work on in your own garage if you need to, and without a lift and high ceiling.

You're right, it is a GT car, no rocket ship. There is just enough torque and gearing that the rear tires will break loose as the torque peaks in first gear but its performance is best described as respectable for the era; today there are plenty of stock family car that are as fast or faster than a 3.2 Mondial, and modern exotics can be twice as fast. If proving all-out speed is your thing you can do a lot more for less money elsewhere. The Ferrari V8 sound effects combined with the distinctly Ferrari experience of the steering, mid-engine, brakes, and classic gated shifter make it a very enjoyable second car.

In my opinion it's not something you want to park in public places regularly or for long hours simply because it's a Ferrari, any Ferrari.

Compared to a 911/993 Porsche the Mondial's just not at all the same kind of car. Not to get too far off with analogies but they are as different as techno music and AC/DC. A 993 or newer Carrera will hands-down outrun a Mondial 3.2 in every measurable category of performance, but for me, right now, any Ferrari is more fun to own and drive on real streets.

13. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    Dino, did you find a Mondial yet?

I absolutely love my 3.2 cab mondial - beautiful car and I can put the wife and two (of my four) kids in the back seat. As everyone else has said, the steering is heavy at low speeds and she's no rocket ship but the overall experience is wonderful!

14. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    Oh yes she is. The Mondial launches just like a Rocket. Slow off of the pad but really gets going as she picks up speed.

Dave

15. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau
    Hey Michael, I can spot one of mine in that line up. Silverstone '07 for the Anniversary weekend.

To the OP. Mondial is a great GT package. I found the T a delight, both on and off track.