Do Navy Seals really wear a Rolex, if so why? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Do Navy Seals really wear a Rolex, if so why?

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by robert_c, Feb 26, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TommyFerrari

TommyFerrari Karting

Feb 6, 2009
    If $6K is expensive for one yearly purchase, then $100 is expensive for weekly spending. How many people spend $100 per week eating out? That is $5200 on the year.

It all depends on what you want more. Everything has an opportunity cost. Would you rather have 52 steaks and 52 bottles of wine, or one very nice watch?

2. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #52 8 SNAKE, Mar 3, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
    I can't tell if you're that out of touch with reality, or if you're attempting to show off. Either way, you keep digging in the same hole. You think that the average American is sitting down to a $100 meal every single week? Really?

AtomicPunk88 likes this.
  3. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Or is simply trolling......

AtomicPunk88 likes this.
  4. dream34

dream34 Karting

May 31, 2005
    New Orleans, La.
    I forgot where I read it (I think on a watch board) but most of the military guys have to buy their own watches and they must meet set criteria. I also remember reading that most (including the seals) prefer the Casio GShock, as it is cheap, durable, and accurate. I also remember reading that very few, if any seals wear the Luminox. Apparently Luminox was successful in having their watch approved for seal use and they use that as a marketing gimick.

5. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    #55 the_stig, Mar 3, 2009
    I give up... there are many in this country who still find Starbucks exorbitantly over-priced never mind your $100 dinners. These are people who find Applebee's expensive!

AtomicPunk88 likes this.
  6. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Another perfectly valid option. :)

7. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    #57 SonomaRik, Mar 3, 2009
    Congrats on your BUDs, and thanks for your service and conviction: Did you graduate? If so then class number please.

Never in BUDs therefore never a SEAL. As a Midshipman, 1972, I had typical Midshipman indoctrination at Pendleton and Coronado to include BUDs indoctrination [swim, run, BUDs/SEAL obstacle course etc.], some amphibious/Marine indoctrination to include landings [sea/air], firearms, firefights, demos etc. and other items.

Graduate of SWOS class #2, 1975, after missing the very first class due to medical. [ http://www1.netc.navy.mil/swos/ ,believe they are into the hundreds now]. As you may remember, SWOS was directly across [about 100 yards or so] from SEAL Team #1's HQ. Assuming you had BUDs in CA.

Guess one can pick over who gets to be called a SEAL. Like I said before, a rose is a rose, but Koreans or S&S can call it what they want. I'm sure they are as capable as our SEALs, but our discussion really is what is/was a true SEAL which started officially with POTUS Kennedy [ http://www.military.com/navy-seals/training.html ]: You must be US Navy. I'll stick with this def. http://seal.navy.mil/seal/pdf/faq.pdf

Not sure where this came from, but I never said different. Matter of fact, there is no other path to be a SEAL, you must be US Navy and a BUDs graduate FIRST. ;)
    However, if you mean becoming a SEAL is via BUDs we have no argument.
    IF you mean a BUD is always to be a SEAL, then not so. You must pass SQT. Every SEAL went through BUDs not every BUDs graduate became a SEAL, there are more steps involved.

And since everyone is captured by the watch thing. Submit a question to an official SEAL on one of their sites. I'm sure he will be glad to answer your question. http://www.vyuz.com/Fake_SEALs_110705.htm

Best, rik -- PS: Give my regards to Jim, let him know the 456 he sold me is still kickin' :D

8. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    Having spent time around SEALs, I can tell you that they manage their money well. If you add-in Combat Pay (you think they don't get that? What Planet are you from???), Re-Enlistment bonuses, travel/Per Diem expenses covered, Housing assistance, COLA, etc. than a nice watch is very-much not out of the question.

9. rimoore

rimoore Formula 3

Nov 18, 2004
    Island in Maine
    Full Name:
    Richard Moore
    It's obvious that I'm outmatched here LOL. I'll crawl back under my rock!

I tried to be a SEAL in 04 and 05 but was finally, and for good reason, shown the door. I had a slight problem in the swimming department LOL. Funny part is I went straight from BUD's to rescue swimmer school where I crushed all the physical stuff including the pool.

The 456 is a great car and they are getting very affordable.

10. dream34

dream34 Karting

May 31, 2005
    New Orleans, La.
    Just another 2 cents, but I have no problem believing a SEAL could afford a Rolex, esp a Submariner/Sea Dweller or a GMT Master. I'm a cop and I would bet that a SEAL would be compareable in terms of salary, and I was able to afford a $2500 Seamaster and am working on a Speedmaster in the next year. Add the total cost of the two and you have about 6K and we are not even addressing the fact that a military guy might be able to get said watch at some type of military discount (some businesses are good to our boys like that) or used. In addition I would guess that a good number of the guys in the SEAL units are single and live either on base, or have a housing allowance, which also frees up a bit of income. All of that said, and as a man who spends a good amount of time in uniform, I can honestly tell you guys that watches are probably one of the few ways to express ones own sense of style. That being the case I could easily believe that a good number of SEALs own nice watches, weather they wear them when on a mission is a different matter.

11. BAKY

BAKY Formula 3

May 23, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Bobby
    and the real expense is not in buying..its maintaining or at least maintaining properly...

I have a friend that I am sure would know...I will ask but I would guess it would be of black plastic or other nonmetal material.

12. robert_c

robert_c F1 Rookie

May 12, 2005
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Robert C
  13. Neonzapper

Neonzapper F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2008
    MD/FL/Philippines
    Full Name:
    Mykol
    The US Navy Seals wear Luminox watches. Model 8100. It has the Trident logo on the back. It is titanium with saphire crystal, tracer dot at 12, and has either leather strap or rubber divers strap.

14. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Not all of them.

15. Neonzapper

Neonzapper F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2008
    MD/FL/Philippines
    Full Name:
    Mykol
    #65 Neonzapper, Apr 8, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
    Well, Luminox was officially contacted by the U.S. Navy Seals to design a watch for them, and Luminox is the official watch of the U.S. Navy Seal Team.

I bought one about 4 years ago, and use it for scuba diving. It's a great watch that has been through alot, and still looks brand new.

16. mpaub1386

mpaub1386 Karting

Jul 7, 2007
    Cleveland, TN
    Full Name:
    Matthew Bottoms
  17. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    #67 P4Replica, Apr 11, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
  18. Neonzapper

Neonzapper F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2008
    MD/FL/Philippines
    Full Name:
    Mykol
    #68 Neonzapper, Apr 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  19. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Interestingly that letter from Chief Engraff is cited in Luminox ads AND in a presentation on ethics by the US military under implied endorsements.

20. Basura

Basura Formula Junior

May 1, 2008
    Santa Monica, Ca
    Full Name:
    Michael Basura
    I like the job the seals did today.

Seals 3 pirates 0

Great job guys. You made us proud

21. Epik

Epik Rookie

Apr 9, 2008
    #71 Epik, Apr 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    "Once only available to Special Forces units, S.W.A.T. teams, Secret Service, Navy Seals, Army Rangers, Air Force pilots, Police officers, Delta Force units, and DEA, FBI, and SAS agents, the Pro Ops Military Watch Series is now available to the general public for the first time. MTM invites you to investigate this collection of rugged military timepieces including the Black Hawk, Thunder Hawk, Patriot, Predator, Warrior, Navigator, Vulture, Camouflage series and the waterproof Xtreme Navy Seal Divers watches. All are currently available, only from MTM, and will make a statement of efficiency, dependability and rugged individuality for many demanding years to come."

Is this just marketing BS?

http://www.specialopswatch.com/
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. Neonzapper

Neonzapper F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2008
    MD/FL/Philippines
    Full Name:
    Mykol
    "I'm just the byline. The real heroes are the Navy, the Seals, those who have brought me home," Phillips said by phone to Maersk Line Limited President and CEO John Reinhart, the company head told reporters. A photo released by the Navy showed Phillips unharmed and shaking hands with the commanding officer of the USS Bainbridge."

23. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    Yes, it is.

24. fish78

fish78 F1 Rookie

Sep 10, 2004
    Georgia
    Your source? Geez folks, TEAM guys wear Casio G Shocks just like almost everyone in SOF these days...If you see a Rolex it is personally owned and very likely at home in its box during a deployment.

25. fish78

fish78 F1 Rookie

Sep 10, 2004
    Georgia
    Listen to the good doctor.

BTW, That letter from the Chief, is just that, a letter from a Chief, getting some bling for Team 5...its much like the Army and its challenge coins...strictly a unit thing....