Let's Hear From the 5 Speed Owners! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Let's Hear From the 5 Speed Owners!

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Ashman, Apr 12, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Well, that's a new one for me! So the number of 400i 5 speeds in the U.S. is 37, at least until 36147 heads back to Europe.

2. Grumpy B

Grumpy B Karting

May 31, 2005
    South Bay
    Full Name:
    Don
  3. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
  4. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    One of the 400i 5 speeds that I looked at in 1998 was in Reno, at Intrepid Motors, who were selling it for a private party. Black with tan, number 53501. Nice car, lots of work done on it, including an engine rebuild. I wonder where that car is now?

5. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    This is not an addition to the list but I received confirmation yesterday that 54629, which I had seen at the 2002 Hartford Concorso, is still here in Connecticut, owned by the same fellow in Old Lyme.

That makes at least 4 out of 38 5 speeds here in Connecticut, more than 10% of all the known 5 speeds in the U.S.! Not bad for a tiny little state.

6. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    John

How come 36147 is going back to Europe?

Aidan

7. kliko312

kliko312 Karting

May 21, 2008
    NLD
    Full Name:
    Graaf
    #32 kliko312, Apr 20, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
    Aidan,

I'm from the Netherlands deployed over here for three years. I'm working as an F-16 instructor pilot and weapons officer at the 178 FW.

After I restored my 208 GTB and 208 GT4 (see Forza #88) I still had that wish to own a 12-cyl Ferrari. I just love the 365/400 series and I couldn't afford one back home. So this tour helped me out fullfilling my dream and bought #36147, Ferrari's in general are not so expensive as they are back home. Another thing is that parts are cheap over here in the US (I'm still payed in euro's...). So ended up buying this one last year and I have been working on it since. When my tour is over I bring it back with me to the Netherlands. I'm not planning selling it what so ever, it's a keeper. I hope this answers your question a little.

A lot of Ferrari's find there way from the US to europe, sadly I must say. It's verry atractive to do, specially when cars are older than 25 years you don't pay import tax anymore. On a new car you pay 48% import tax and goes liniar down to 2.5% when a car is 24 years old. With the euro versus dollar it's a relative bargin to buy cars over here and with no more import tax when a car is over 25 years every one in europe is shopping over here.

Regards, Jan

8. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Well, that answers that question. I did notice on European sites that 365/400/412's are going for significantly more. With this developing trend, do you know anyone over there who iskeeping track of the ownership like our database guys Dave & John? & if not, let us know if you ever do.

I noticed that your front end has been repaired in short order, what other work have you had done to it? Also, did you ever get an ignition lock from Dennis McCann?

A cousin's husband of ours was a F-16 instructor in the 56th FG out of Luke AFB (Pheonix, AZ) & retired about 3 years ago, do you know any of the Airmen/WAF from that group?

Bruce

9. kliko312

kliko312 Karting

May 21, 2008
    NLD
    Full Name:
    Graaf
    #34 kliko312, Apr 20, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2009

Bruce,

I don't know anything about a repair on the front of the car. If you know more about it please feel free to let me know.

I just got the interior back in. The leather on the dash looked terrible so I took the whole dash out and have it replaced with new leather. Some parts/switches of the dash were missing. I got some pieces of the car Brett is parting out. I payed a visit to his shop a couple of weeks ago, really nice shop and Brett sure is helpfull. The door panels were bad aswell so I took care of those. The door lock mechanism had been severely damaged on the passenger side. Probably someone tried to steel the car and used a screwdriver for that. I indeed got a new lock-set from Dennis McCann. He's one hour drive away from me. I didn't replace ignition lock, that one is still good. For the rest I replaced all the belts, a lot of work went in that. I adjusted the valves and replaced the complete exhaust system with a system from Stebro. Very nice system but you need to have patience with the Stebro company. It took a while to get them. At the moment I'm working on the suspesion bushings, again a lot of work. Other than that the standard stuff as fluids and filters. I also replaced all the fuel lines and the turn indicator lenses last winter.

I'm still looking for a descend rear bumper, the one I have has a big dent in it.

There's still a lot of work to do but that's my hobby. The car in general was in a good shape when I bought it, technically it really wasn't. The body and chassis look really nice, no rust on the car anywhere.

I hope to get it on the road this summer or by the end of the summer.

I indeed know some instructors from Luke. I did IPUC (instructor pilot upgrade coarse) over there. If you know his callsign or name I can tell you. Our unit deployed last winter to Arizona to escape the bad weather over here. It's a real nice place to be.

Regards, Jan

10. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    Jan, Would you please keep us informed on the progress of your suspension refirb? I'll be doing mine in the near future..as always, first-hand reports are always the most helpful..Thanks, Jacques.

11. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    Jan

Thanks for your reply. If I ever move back to the UK or the Continent I hope to ship my 400i back with me. Any idea of shipping costs? I also have a Caterham 7 that I am considering shipping from the UK. I always thought until recently that 400s were less expensive in Europe owing to the price of gas, but they do seem to be significantly more expensive now.

Aidan

12. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    My mistake Jan, I must have confused you w/someone else who bought a black 400 from Peter.
    Wow, you got turn indicator lenses? Front?? I've heard those are nearly impossible to get. Were you able to match the grain of the dash leather? And that 'song of Stebro' is a very popular one. I have heard nothing but good things about Brett. It looks like you'll have the car fully refreshed by the time you ship out.
    +1 on the suspension work update, & get 'er done pronto so that you can enjoy the summer rides.

With respect to the rear bumper, these guys break a # of cars down every year, maybe...
    http://www.eurospares.co.uk/index.asp?M=1&Mo=491&G=

It looks like there is one here!!
    http://www.ferrariservice.com/

Possible these guys could give you some leads if they don't have anything:
    http://www.partsourcenet.com/
    http://www.hdrogers.com/ferrariparts.html
    http://www.ferraripartsexchange.com/index.html
    http://www.maranelloautoparts.com/
    http://www.italiancarparts.com/index.html
    http://www.ricambiamerica.com/

I heard a little while back here on this forum that 3 400's were being parted out in N.Y. state, try a search here, or maybe a dedicated post here or 'general discussion'.

Chris Broyhill, I just can't remember his callsign; but he's been retired for more than 3 years now----time's gone supersonic. He was Chief of Safety & Chief of Programmed Flying Training w/the 56th Fighter Wing, & Director of Operations w/the 62nd Fighter Squadron. Weather can be very nice in the winter but I remember the stories Denise would tell about how brutal it was the rest of the year. Chris didn't seem to mind it as much. It was 102 deg. F. yesterday, & it isn't even summer yet. It's too hot to swim in your pools in the summer.

Aidan, it cost me about $3000. to ship a 40' container from Ft. Lauderdale to the Bahamas (220 mi. distance) & an acquaintance of ours who is a purchaser w/Dollar General told us that's what it costs his co. to ship a container from East Asia to Calif. (G&G Shipping has a monopoly on shipping to the Bahamas). A Car cost me about $600. to ship 5 yrs. ago, now w/rising fuel costs it's closer to $800. If I were to guess, budget $2000. & you shouldn't be too far off. Out of Boston, right?

Bruce

13. Andrew-400i

Andrew-400i Karting

Sep 22, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    400i 5speed.

Nero/Crema.

Car is in Australia.

Car originally from Scotland.

14. AgSilver

AgSilver Rookie

Apr 22, 2009
    Florida/NY/Germany
    Full Name:
    Steve Silver
    #39 AgSilver, Apr 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I've had 23391 since 1989

Here's what happens somewhere around 9,000 RPM oops! 10 of 12 exhaust valves broken and 7 of 12 intakes bent. And - - - I didn't do it. Oh well, I didn't want the sodium valves anyway and it was time for a valve job and a chain.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    I didn't know the motor could run to 9000 rpm. I admire your philosophical attitude, though!

Aidan

16. AgSilver

AgSilver Rookie

Apr 22, 2009
    Florida/NY/Germany
    Full Name:
    Steve Silver
    Might have been 8800 . . . might have been 9500 . . . . the results speak for themselves

17. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    What did you do with the person who did it?

Aidan

18. alastairhouston

alastairhouston Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    Thanks for that, will get all details on return to uk
    Dont know Susan Boyle, though worth the ask as its a small world. I live on the west coast place called Largs, great for access to the Highlands and 400 dream driving roads.
    Regards
    Alastair

19. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Okay, thought you might recognize her.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lp0IWv8QZY

40 million views and counting!

20. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    About 20 years ago I went on a field trip to the marine station on Cumbrae when I was at university in London. We had a very wild time, with the extended opening hours in Scotland and a good thirst from studying all day. Beautiful part of the world.

Aidan

21. AgSilver

AgSilver Rookie

Apr 22, 2009
    Florida/NY/Germany
    Full Name:
    Steve Silver
    #46 AgSilver, Apr 23, 2009
    The car had actually been stored at my friends factory in Los Angeles (low humidity - - - climate controlled for all the good it did) for about 8 years. It appears that a former line employee wanted to hear the V12 with straight-through exhausts in to the Ansa cans. It would seem that a floor mat jammed the throttle peddle wide open. Probably sounded wonderful for about .25 seconds. Anyway, my friend is in the auto aftermarket industry and makes the best valve guides anywhere. I had the car shipped back to me while I'm in Florida where we took it apart (we made the best head puller for a C4 motor which popped those 22 year old heads off in no time). The deck height on the pistons is perfect, so no bent rods and the bores still have the crosshatches. Therefore, I'll leave the bottom end alone. I've sent the heads to Kelly's Block Welding in Los Angeles for the head rebuild. For me, Kelly's is simply the best. I know there are boutique shops that do great work too, but none better and the prices are the same for a Chevy or Ferrari at Kelly's. Since my friend stored the car for me for 8 years, I wouldn't even think of having him cover the costs, which quite frankly will not be any more than a proper head overhaul which was really due (the car has 100K km. The real bummer is that the original took kit vanished. I would have replaced all the valves anyway with stainless and no sodium. Depending on the spring pressures, I will probably look for some better aftermarket valve springs (probably Ford or Chevy). I'll run it for 500-700 miles and do an oil analysis and compare it to the last one from 8 years ago just to confirm that no main bearings were damaged. As I had rebuilt the suspension 8 years ago along with a new clutch and components , I figure the car will outlast me since it will be driven less than 3000 miles per year. The car was always pretty stout, in fact it was noticably faster than a friends Daytona. Supposedly, it has different cams which were installed in Germany by the original owner and I'm not sure if the pop-up pistons are the standard compression ratio and there is no emission system (except the crankcase breather into the Webers which I disabled by placing .25" ball bearing in the hoses - - - no more idle problems and no exhaust popping). About 9 years ago the car would did 13.5" @ 108 MPH for the 1/4 mile without any particular effort. I have no way to compare this 400 to others.

Here's a photo from about 10 years ago coming down the Coast Highway from the Historics in Monterey

22. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Any chance you could post a photo & some details of the puller??

23. AgSilver

AgSilver Rookie

Apr 22, 2009
    Florida/NY/Germany
    Full Name:
    Steve Silver
    I'll try to get to the shop in and take some photos this weekend. I got the idea from a GTZ Alpha we were campaigning back in 1965. Basically we made them (it requires 2) from .75" bar stock. It aligns onto the cam cap studs with 2 threaded holes that align over the studs. Bolt the assembly to the cam cap studs and screw the threaded rod down onto the studs and off comes the head. I'm considering placing heat shrink tubing over the studs when we install the heads. If someone ever takes them off again, I don't think they will need a puller.

24. GreggG

GreggG Karting

Jul 14, 2008
    New Jersey
    #49 GreggG, Apr 24, 2009
    Figured I should chime in. 18539 is still representing the Garden State. She's currently on her way up to pay Brett a visit at Gran Turismo for some freshening up.

25. 1bad412

1bad412 Rookie

Nov 24, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Full Name:
    Robert (Bob) Richmon
    #50 1bad412, Apr 26, 2009
    Sorry to say, this is a GM powered 412 with a TRMEC 6 speed, it was either that or part it out! I think it's a better car now and sure beats getting cut up for parts a scrap metal....right?