Diffuser Appeal Hearing on April 14th | FerrariChat

Diffuser Appeal Hearing on April 14th

Discussion in 'F1' started by Anthony_Ferrari, Mar 28, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Anthony_Ferrari

Anthony_Ferrari Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Sheffield, UK
    Full Name:
    Anthony Currie
    The bit in bold please me and seems sensible.

2. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I think it will stand, 30% of the teams thought it was in the rules and the other 7 teams thought about doing it anyway... I think it will stand.

If it doesn't then the situation will be diffused, the 3 teams will have their points advantage and a race or two to modify the car to fit the regulations.

No biggie.

3. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    It is a biggie, changing the chassis/gearbox to accommodate a new diffuser, this is probably why there is a fuss about it, there isn't a quick fix.

4. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    It is a biggie, changing the chassis/gearbox to accommodate a new diffuser, this is probably why there is a fuss about it, there isn't a quick fix.

5. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve

6. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Err sorry about the above repeat posts server froze..

7. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    This has happened before and it's been solved quickly before. You don't have to rebuild the car, the car comes apart in tiny sections, they'll have past ideas that lead up to the current configuration of the car. How long has this been in the media? How long have the teams known about this? I'm sure all 10 teams already have blue prints for a new diffuser, the 3 teams using the one in question will have a backup all ready to go in case it was found they were violation the rules. The other 7 teams have known about the diffuser and I'm sure started thinking of ways to incorporate it into their car. Some of them may have even made similar diffusers and scrapped them because they thought it was against regulations.

It's not going to be long before all the teams push the diffuser specifications as far as possible. I see a quick end coming to this issue.

8. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Well I agree with you I don't want the issue to rumble on, and yes I'am sure steps have been taken either way by the teams to adjust there car's accordingly, however as I understand it, that's 7 teams! may have to renew there chassis just to stay incontention, you just can't bolt on a new diffuser, it a whole redesign of the gearbox and surrounding area, hardly a minor issue IMO.

9. b27

b27 F1 World Champ

Oct 11, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Brett
    #9 b27, Mar 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

Boom Boom.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I've already spoke about this one point. The 7 teams aren't starting in 2 weeks on a "new" car. They already have started on this section of bodywork, some are further along than others I'm sure, don't let it worry you Ferrari and the rest will be caught up very shortly and if the decision goes in their favor, the 3 teams in question will be caught up quickly as well.

It's somewhat annoying to hear the phrase "bolt on" at the beginning of every season. Yes the cars are sophisticated but they are stripped down and rebuilt with many, many tiny pieces every few days for most of the year and development doesn't stop for months to come, the teams can cope with this issue handily.

11. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    huh?

12. b27

b27 F1 World Champ

Oct 11, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Nevermind Neil, ;) the whole debate has been about diffusers. Your comment on the problem being "diffused" was funny in the context of the current issue. Basil Brush would always say boom boom in this situation. :)

13. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I never said 7 teams were going to start in 2 weeks with new cars :confused:, how do you know they have started on renewing this section, or are you just assuming.?
    By what I have read, Mr Max and his FIA cronies have lead the teams to believe conflicting advise, with some teams being told it was illegal and therefore not developing it, and others being given the go ahead.

As you can see clear as mud!. thanks MAX!.

I'am not denying or worrying about Ferrari or Mclaren catching up, I like the fact, and I'am sure back at HQ there all working hard on it.

14. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    #14 62 250 GTO, Mar 28, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
    I saw the highlighted part of my post you made and made the connection, it was the picture of the dog and the caption that threw me... I'm still thrown because I don't recognize the dog or the caption.

15. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    You said it was a big deal and that the 7 teams would have to redesign the gearbox, chassis and surrounding area. You made it sound like a massive task and my post was just downplaying the amount of work ahead because a boat load of it will already have been done.

How do I "know" that the teams have started working on "it"... because the 7 teams have known about this issue for more than 5 seconds, it would be idiotic not to start working on this issue ASAP and for as long as possible without interrupting the race week end. I've also seen how race teams prepare and tweak cars over winter breaks, this will not be a major set back any more than a team's slow development over a few weks of racing.

16. b27

b27 F1 World Champ

Oct 11, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Brett
    #16 b27, Mar 28, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
    Thats OK, was a popular show when i was kid back in the mid 70's. English show. (edit, he's a fox btw)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3NGyNBc-cU&feature=related

Anyway back on topic, hopefully it gets sorted out soon.

17. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
  18. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1 [Although I think I'd have said "it might be a biggie....." ;)]

My understanding is that the 3 have somehow integrated the rear crash structure / gearbox into the diffuser. Now, IIRC, if you start messing with the crash structure you may need to get your whole chassis re-certified - A definite biggie. You may also need to redesign your gearbox casing - Also non-trivial.

I'm certainly not sure, but as Steve noted, I suspect the fuss is at least partly because they recognize that there isn't a quick fix. If they could simply drop their diffusers and bolt on a "good" one they'd have already done it IMHO - They've been studying these things for months now after all......

Interesting times indeed,
    Cheers,
    Ian

19. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    A poster on another forum made a pretty good point that F1 gearboxes are very time consuming to fabricate all by themselves, never mind the time required in the design and testing of them.