My Ex wants a smart car. Anyone have one or know about them? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

My Ex wants a smart car. Anyone have one or know about them?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by DrStranglove, Mar 21, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Lol, cool! :D:D

2. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    If you did that here, you'd get the "hook".

3. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    Why? What's wrong as long as you're within the parking's boundaries?

Of course, getting in might be problematic if someone parks too close to the door...

4. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
  5. lambokid

lambokid Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2006
    Golden Valley, MN
    Full Name:
    Ben
    There's some annoying law about having to have a front and rear wheel next to the curb.

6. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    Is that only in Minnesota? I've seen plenty of Smarts on the ASU campus parked like that. It's usually stuffed between two cars that leave a huge gap, so a motorcycle usually fits in.

7. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Campus parking lots would be off the grid for most police, no? I wouldn't park that way because people can be total jerks and block your doors.

8. agup48

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    Nope, we have campus police and local police hanging around.

9. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Perhaps it's not illegal or no one cares? Would police really hassle a university student over this kind of matter?

10. agup48

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    Probably. I got hassled by a bike cop for being out late, I was leaving to a relatives house, and had clothes in my backpack, and the cop thought I had beer in my backpack. My roommate got a ticket for not riding his bike on the right side of the sidewalk, and a kid in my English class got a ticket for not wearing a helmet riding his bike.

11. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I bike cop trying to catch someone riding their bike on the wrong side of the sidewalk.... Oh dear.

12. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    City / County police have jurisdiction at any point in the area they serve except for military posts. It does not matter if a University or a Company has there own force, if they are in city / county "X," city / county "X" law enforcement can bust you.

13. agup48

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    #38 agup48, Mar 22, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
  14. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Of course it's their jurisdiction I meant "out of their way" when I said off grid, sorry for the confusion. Around here you don't see too many police officers on campuses ever.

15. ScuderiaShield

ScuderiaShield Karting

Sep 20, 2008
    Full Name:
    Matt
    A coworker of mine has a Smart and loves it. Gets decent gas mileage and has been reliable. Frankly, if I was about to toss $17k on a smaller car for better gas mileage I'd look at a Honda Fit.

16. Samimi

Samimi Formula 3

Oct 17, 2005
    North of the 49th
    Full Name:
    S.
    You pick up a MY07 Fit for less than $17k, that's if your not too keen on having it be a MY09 or MY08.

17. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

This'll do a pretty good job of killing sales by about 20 - 25%.

In test results released April 14, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety found that drivers of 2009 versions of the Smart Fortwo, Honda Fit and Toyota Yaris could face significant leg and head injuries in severe front-end crashes with larger, midsize vehicles.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Insurance/InsureYourCar/small-cars-get-poor-marks-in-crash-tests.aspx

Watching the video is enough to turn most "safety paranoid" off buying one.

18. lambokid

lambokid Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2006
    Golden Valley, MN
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Well, that's just because of it's a small car, not because of anything about the Fortwo itself.

19. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

No biggie....the IIHS said the exact same thing in the earlier reports on their website.

What they all fail to say is that the SMART, Fit or Yaris, but specifically the SMART, is about half the size of everything else out there, so it's a smaller target, which means that my chances of that serious 70+ KMH head on collision (which are already very small anyways) went down by about 50% due to the small size of my car.

Having seen videos of these things hit other mid sized MB's and concrete walls at 70 MPH I ain't worried.

20. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Small cars are often side swiped because people do not check blindspots that well. Anybody that has ever owned a motorcycle will tell you life is just a series of near collisions from oblivious commuters.

21. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    I can't wait 'till the video of a smart car being pulled over by a cop on a segway emerges.

22. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    That was my conclusion; although KDS have a drag-strip grudge to work through one day. His Smart vs my Fit, especially for 0-30mph. stay tuned :D

I think I'd rather be in my Fit vs a Suburban than my 348.

23. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I don't take much info from sites like that.