My Ex wants a smart car. Anyone have one or know about them? | FerrariChat

My Ex wants a smart car. Anyone have one or know about them?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by DrStranglove, Mar 21, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Any help would be nice. I dont know crap about these except they look like death traps and hellaciously expensive to fix.

2. AlexO91

AlexO91 F1 Rookie

Sep 26, 2008
    NW England
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Yes they will be expensive because Smart is owned by Merecedes Benz these days. They have a boot "Trunk" thats not worth talking about, a top speed of 84mph, the top of the range has 61BHP, 0-60 in a misserable 16 seconds. BUT they get nearly 60mpg combined because they only have a 700cc engine. Theres only two seats obviously, they're fantastic around cities because of their smallness and nippyness. And there is a Brabus version........... WOW!!

3. lambokid

lambokid Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2006
    Golden Valley, MN
    Full Name:
    Ben
    The one thing you need to understand is that it's not for everyone. I've heard too many people complain about how small it is, how little space there is, only 2 seats etc. It works for me, but a smart isn't for everyone. If you intend to have more than one passenger, it's not the car for you. I can fit 6-7 grocery bags in the trunk, and the passenger seat folds flat if you need to carry large items.
    The car is actually quite spacious for the size of the car. It has more room than my parents cars (Jag x-type and volvo s70). The ride quality isn't very good, obviously, but it isn't that bad once you get used to it. It's advertized as getting 40 mpg, but I get an average of 45. While it isn't the fastest car out there, it feels very nimble on the road. The fastest I've driven mine is 80 mph, and I have the base model.
    The one complaint I have about the car is it's easily blown around by the wind. It can me rather jarring to drive on mindy days, as the car will jerk around unexpectedly.
    As far as safety goes, I'm glad to say that I haven't had much personal experience with the safety features. I was in a fender-bender at one point, and my smart took no dammage because of how strong the plastic body pannels are. It does have 4 airbags standard, and the safety cell around the car is designed to protect the passengers in the case of the accident. I would look on the company website for more information.
    Overall, I wouldn't say it is the best car ever, but it is quite a good car. I find it to be extremely fun to drive and easy to live with. The best thing about it is how it turns heads on the road. I took it to a meet once and parked it next to a Ford GT and a Lamborghini Gallardo. People abandoned the supercars to look at the smart!

It would still be a good idea to look at other cars, but don't count out the smart just because it looks too small or unsafe.

4. ferraridude615

ferraridude615 F1 Veteran

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    There was a thread here a couple weeks back about Smarts and the insurance on the Smart was incredibly expensive, I believe. I'll see if I can find the thread.

5. chris marsh

chris marsh F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2005
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Chris Marsh
    There is a thread around here somewhere complaining that the cost to insure a Smart is outrages...probably due to that death trap thing.

6. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Ping VTC. He's got one. :)

7. DrStranglove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Thanks.

You lit up one yet today...?

8. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    No offense to any Smart owners but ------

I have a neighbor with one. When I ask him if he likes it, he shrugs his shoulders like "eh". The biggest complaint is the gearbox. Can you say SLOOOOW to shift?

One of the big deals for the original design was that in Europe you could park the Smart straight into a small space meant for parallel parking. I guarantee if you try that in most cities in the states, you'll end up with a parking ticket for illegal parking.

I saw one the other day going down the road in LA. A guy in his early 40's had a beige one with a pink stripe and on his lap-- sticking it's head out the window --was a poodle with matching beige color fur and a pink bow in it's head. That was enough for me to say: NEVER EVER.

Get a Mini if you want cool small car or a Toyota Yaris if you want to go cheap. Either will have no problem when you want to resell it or trade it in for something else and you'll at least get 4 seats unlike the Smart. Let's face it, these econo boxes are only good for a couple of years before you get tired of them. There's always a better one around the corner.

9. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I can't believe people, it's a commuter car, low horse power, you bet, small, you bet, low on storage room, you bet. Reliable, better than most cars, resale value, better than most cars, MPG, better than most cars, safety, better than most cars.

SMART cars are not sports cars. Measuring 0-60 is ridiculous, do Toyota and Honda owners measuse 0-60 when they're looking for a Corolla or Civic? No.

10. AlexO91

AlexO91 F1 Rookie

Sep 26, 2008
    NW England
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Oh yeah one thing i forgot, the panels are interchangeable so you can change them when ever you like. You could have a green one one week and a red one the next!! thats pretty cool, don't mean to be harsh but thats about the only thing that is. If you crash you just buy a panel to replace the damaged one.

11. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Yes! Hoyo Epi II Cabinet!

12. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

They're OK for what they are. Unfortunately it'll take one accident where one gets squished by a Suburban etc., with pics circulating all over the net and the small car phobia will be realized. I'd just stick with getting a Honda or similar.

13. Samimi

Samimi Formula 3

Oct 17, 2005
    North of the 49th
    Full Name:
    S.
    You're helping your Ex?

14. DrStranglove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Yea really! Actually she is one of the few I actually like and we still talk a good bit.

15. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I don't think that has happened yet {a catastrophic accident that was worse than it should have been because the car failed inappropriately} and they're nearly a decade old.

16. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

JR....

I own one. Just picked up a new 2009 SMART Passion coupe last week.

Do not buy the previous diesel model under any circumstances........it is gutless and very, very, expensive to fix.

The 2008+ gas model is 20x better........I sell these BTW........not pitching for the bizz....just speaking my mind.

17. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    #18 agup48, Mar 21, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2009
    Get one, put a busa engine in it, Brabus wheels.. :)

18. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    I had a passenger ride in a Brabus Smart the other day. Cool little car but not worth the money IMHO. For that money I would much rather have a 500 Abarth (which should become available in the US in the next year or so if the Fiat-Chrysler deal is successful).

BTW, the Smart's interior is surprisingly spacious (I'm 6.2).

19. #Lennard

#Lennard Formula 3

Aug 26, 2006
    Zeewolde/Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Lennard
  20. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

I saw one the other day, look pretty cool. Had some big rubber on it and was painted jet black with some silver trim here and there. Looked awesome and something I would consider if I needed a SMALL car to cruise around the city etc..etc.. :):)

21. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    #22 Ferrarista3, Mar 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yes, it is a nice little car. There are quite a few Brabus Smarts in Monaco (as well as the other types). After all, there aren't many cars you can park sideways :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Lol! Jeez! :D:D

23. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Good luck with that one Ben. :eek:

24. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    Yes, that is a not-so-rare scene in European cities :)