The project thread! | Page 6 | FerrariChat

The project thread!

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by preston400i, Apr 16, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cabaynes

cabaynes Karting

Feb 25, 2006
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Glad you got to drive it. I know exactly how you feel. I'm not lucky enough to work on Ferraris of any caliber, but my old Mazda rotaries give me plenty of headaches and heartaches while trying to piece them back together from the ground up... I've let cars sit for a year or so with very little progress and then find motivation to get it back together. I go through phases as I'm sure most do. Be patient and have fun, if you're getting frustrated, then go have a pint and forget about it for a while. Posting on the forum helps too.

Take pictures of your progress as you make it and share them, it's great to hear words of encouragement.

Excited to see you driving it someday!

Charlie

2. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    I love those kind of drives. I've had a few. Just not with a Ferrari

Thats got to create a little exitement.

I think it's fantastic, and thanks for the uplifting update.

3. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    So what is like driving it? Did it re-ignite the spark (no pun intended since you have a fuel leak.)? Are you excited to get it going?

4. preston400i

preston400i Karting

Dec 26, 2006
    Driving it is a bit of a handful, but it definitley re-ignites the spark! Just hearing that V-12 does my heart good. In fact, Ferrari had never really been on my radar until about three years ago, when I heard an old carb'ed 12 (275 GTB, I think - I was quite a ways behind it) just romp it merging onto the highway. My jaw fell in my lap, and a month later I owned this thing.

Anyway, motivation is back up, but it definitely goes in cycles. There were times when it seemed like the project was actually going backwards, but we've got it far enough along that we can see light at the end of the tunnel.

I hope it's within the rules of Fchat etiquette to make a little endorsement for Eurospares. The exchange rate is very favorable, making parts prices extremely reasonable by Ferrari standards. Plus, you can order parts straight from the diagrams, which is very handy when you don't know what something is called.

5. Big N

Big N Karting

Jul 30, 2008
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Niall
    Hey Preston,

Greetings from Ireland
    Have to agree with you on Eurospares, great services and good guys.

How's the car coming on? Any more little drives? They're always good to get the blood pumping.
    I know these V-12s have their own problems and they never seem to cease, always something

Just as a bit of encouragement... people all over the world are logging on here to see how you're doing.
    I know everyone here wants you to succeed, you're an inspiration to us all.

Great work
    Niall

6. preston400i

preston400i Karting

Dec 26, 2006
    Thanks for the encouragement. I haven't done anything big lately - I've kind of accepted the fact that this project is going to proceed in bursts. It'll go great for a while, then hardly at all. \

The biggest part of the bodywork is done. Once I've done some more finishing and get it in primer, I will post photos.

Eurospares have definitely improved. I used to have to submit parts requests, the exchange rate was $2:1GBP, and they DHL'd everything, which was expensive. Now, you can buy a part simply by pointing at it on the diagram, the exchange rate is $1.40:1, and they use a more reasonable carrier.

7. preston400i

preston400i Karting

Dec 26, 2006
    The latest:

We made a deal with an independent painter, who's going to take it in a couple of weeks. He's going to finish whatever body work isn't done by then (we're well and truly sick of sanding fenders) and paint it black. I was going to post photos of it in the primer, but it may not be in my hands when it gets to that phase. If there's interest, I will post some photos as it is now.

8. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    Go on! Post some photos.

Aidan

9. Big N

Big N Karting

Jul 30, 2008
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Niall
    Definately more photos!!!!
    Just think of the boost you'll get from all us petrolheads...

We need our fix, Preston!

10. preston400i

preston400i Karting

Dec 26, 2006
    #135 preston400i, Apr 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The weather hasn't been cooperating for new photos, but here it is in traction a month or two ago. The roof wasn't quite square, but we taught it a lesson. The first wheel to come off the ground during this pull was the driver's side rear. Stiff, stiff car.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    It is amazing how stiff the platform is, no matter where your jack points are.

12. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Yes, amazingly so for a car that is 20+ years old! Solid as a rock.

13. ricar116

ricar116 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Full Name:
    Rick Carr
    Preston,
    Nice work! Way to stay with it.
    Rick

14. preston400i

preston400i Karting

Dec 26, 2006
    #140 preston400i, May 26, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    SAAAAAAAWEEEEEEEEETTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!! did you drive it back from the paint booth!??!! lol....

16. Big N

Big N Karting

Jul 30, 2008
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Niall
    Man she looks class !!!!!!

Fantastic colour and seems immaculately straight.
    Love the alloys and the tipped exhausts.

Thanks Preston, makes me love my own again, despite the constant problems and difficulties, you've pulled through.
    The hard work is over.

You're an inspiration, congrats on sticking with it

Niall

17. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    Fabulous job, Preston. Now all you have to do is put it back together again!

Aidan

18. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Preston,

Looks great! Did you test fit the glass before you painted?

Regards,

Art S.

19. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    Preston, love it!

20. Beta Scorpion

Beta Scorpion Formula 3

Jun 22, 2006
  21. preston400i

preston400i Karting

Dec 26, 2006
    Thanks guys.

To answer your questions:

No, I didn't drive it back from the paint booth, but I did take it for a spin around the block once it was home.

Yes, we did test fit the glass before paint. The windshield fit isn't perfect, but it's close enough that the trim will hide it. The rest of the glass fits exactly.

The bodywork came out very well, especially considering the starting point, and the paint is nice for a driver quality car. It's nice enough that I can be proud of it, but not so pristine that I'll be afraid to drive it, which is exactly what I wanted.

With re-assembly and a few odds and ends to go, it should be on the road shortly!

22. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Preston,

That's really good to hear. Congratulations on making it this far! I wish you all the best on the final bits of the project; I hope the remaining frustrations will be minimal. Driving the finished car will be great!

Regards,

Art S.

23. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Preston,

No more pics so I'm assuming you're driving around after successful re-assembly:)

She's looking great, you've come a long way. One more saved.

24. preston400i

preston400i Karting

Dec 26, 2006
    The re-assembly is coming along but I'm having trouble with the title.

I bought the car on a California non-repairable certificate. I was told that the car could be re-titled with the help of a title service once it was repaired. However, the title services won't touch a salvage car and the local DMV won't do it either (and I didn't expect them to). Should I lie to a title service by saying the title has simply been lost? Or will the non-repairable thing show up somewhere along the line? The other thing I thought of was to sell it to someone in a State that doesn't issue titles for older vehicles, then buy it back.

Any other ideas guys?