Trip to Dubai in November... | FerrariChat

Trip to Dubai in November...

Discussion in 'Middle East' started by mr_bock, Oct 28, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mr_bock

mr_bock Formula 3

Oct 27, 2006
    FL full time
    #1 mr_bock, Oct 28, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I would like to ask for some insight on the area if I may. My wife and I are planning to come over from Virginia, USA November 14, for three nights. Any suggestions on where to go and sights to see? How is the driving if I rent a car? Which side of the road do you drive on? How is the weather? Always hot? Any places to avoid? Good food? Are prices high? If there is anything you want to add, I would be most appreciated.

It will be an adventure to see another part of the world.

I looked over the pictures posted of the many super cars in that city. Wow!!!! what an astounding number of supercars there!!!!

My small modest group of cars comes up short; 1996 Porsche 993 (customized), 2001 Ferrari 360 Modena, and a 2002 BMW M5 that has many mods. I do enjoy working on my cars and driving them.

Thanks for your time!!!

George B.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    George,

Dubai is a crowded place, but VERY interesting. Driving is on the same side of the road as we in the US are used to. In November, the weather will be great, if perhaps humid. It is expensive... more so than almost anywhere else in the Middle East. Lots of very good restaurants. My favorite is JW's, a steak/wine restaurant downstairs in the Downtwon Marriott.

Too bad you're not coming to Kuwait...it would be great to meet you.

Mike

3. mr_bock

mr_bock Formula 3

Oct 27, 2006
    FL full time
    Mike,

Thanks for the info.... we will be staying at the Marriott.

Perhaps another trip will be to Kuwait.

George B.

4. Skyler

Skyler Formula 3

May 31, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Skyler
    #4 Skyler, Oct 28, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2008
    Hi George,

It’s cooling down now, so plan for 30ish degree weather when you arrive and cooling down a bit during the evening/night.

Simply put, traffic is a Pain in the ass. Lack of road planning, congestion, you name it…

You mentioned you are staying at the Marriott hotel, which is located across the ‘Dubai Creek’. There are tons of cars crossing the bridges into the central part of Dubai for work; Expect bumper to bumper traffic in the morning/evening.
    Try to plan your activities accordingly.

There are very good safari's you can go on (if that's your thing); snorkeling, sand surfing, dune buggy's, etc. Tour companies will usually take care of transport to/from the location - Will probably take up a full day.

Other nice attractions:
    Mall of the Emirates – Enormous, has the infamous Ski-slope in it. Great shops, and also a lot of “big timers” go there to shop. A lot of the pics in the Middle East section of Ferrari chat are taken there (Veyron, Chrome SLR, Etc). http://www.malloftheemirates.com/

Atlantis – Located at the top the Jumeriah Palm Island. They have a stunning Giant Aquarium filled with exotic fish and sharks. (I can post a couple pics if you want). Also a Ton of restaurants to choose from catering to many different cuisines. Has some other activities worth checking out. http://www.atlantisthepalm.com/lostchambers.aspx

Burj al Arab – The sail boat hotel. I believe it’s about $120 to enter in and take a look around. Steep, but worth it from what I’ve heard. Plenty of exotics around there as well. http://www.burj-al-arab.com/

Sheik Zahid Road – The main Road where all he huge buildings are lined up *when you see the buildings lined up in a row towering over the city, its this road. You can actually see it from the airplane coming in.

Jumeriah Beach Strip – Essentially it’s a strip along the jumeriah beach which has a lot of nice shops and a few café’s. The Burj Al Arab hotel is in the vicinity as well, and can be seen from the beach. The Palm Islands (Jumeriah Palm) is also nearby this area, so if you want to take a look, just mention you want to head down to “Jumeriah”. Great beaches to just kick back and relax on or you can sit at one of the café’s and watch the 100’s of ‘exotic’ cars stroll by doing about 30 km/h.
    http://www.gordonhoneycombe.com/Scrapbooks/Australia,%20January%202001%20-%20September%202006/022-2%20Burj%20Al%20Arab,%20Jumeirah%20Beach%20Hotel,%20Dubai,%20August%202004.jpg
    This is a pretty old pic given that the palm island to right of the Sailboat hotel is only 1/4 built -- it is now complete.
    Jumeriah Beach all along to the right of the Hotel as you can see in the pic.

Driving can be very trying if you do not know the roads well. Be prepared for random detours and road closures without warning. – don’t mean to scare you, just giving you a realistic idea. You’re much better off sticking to a taxi (usually a Mercedes or new Camry’s).

Restaurants are abundant and have cuisines from around the world. There are plenty of good ones, but they are pricey.

I’m relatively new to the area myself; let me know if you need anymore info?

You should have a lot of fun. Hope I didn’t scare you about the traffic; it’s a real pain when you have to go to work, but otherwise it’s manageable.

Cheers!
    -Clyde

P.s, we drive on the right side of the road (same as USA).

5. Pav

Pav Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 18, 2006
    Warsaw, Poland
    Full Name:
    Michal
    Stop by Quartermile garage (they do mods, owners of the place are enthousiasts) ans Exotic Cars used cars dealership on Sheik Zayed road.

6. mr_bock

mr_bock Formula 3

Oct 27, 2006
    FL full time
    Many Thanks to you Clyde!!!!
    Very informative and should help us a lot. Very much appreciated.

Not sure if time will allow stopping at Quartermile Garage, but thanks to you Pav.

We will do the tour of the Burj al Arab Hotel, a desert safari, and snorkeling would be great if it is not too far away. Also would like to sample food of the area.

We are sooo excited for this trip.

Thanks everyone!!!! This Forum is the best!!!!!

George B.

7. ameer20

ameer20 Rookie

Nov 9, 2005
    EU
    Good choice of restaurant. Do not miss JW's Steakhouse!

8. Skyler

Skyler Formula 3

May 31, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Skyler
    You're welcome George.
    You and the wife will have a blast!

Here is a very helpful list of things you can do in your time here.
    Scroll down to Activities.
    http://www.dubaifaqs.com/things-to-do-in-dubai.php#emirates

Cheers!
    -Clyde

P.s.
    If you are an avid snorkeler or diver, the Musandam Peninsula (Oman) is the place to go. It will take about 2.5-3 hours each way, but WELL worth it.
    Here are some pics of the Diving scene:
    http://www.worldisround.com/articles/58983/index.html

9. sandersja

sandersja Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Portland OR
    Full Name:
    John Sanders
    When you get burned out on hotels/malls/crowds in Dubai, try retreating to a very nice desert resort: www.al-maha.com - highly recommended.

10. mr_bock

mr_bock Formula 3

Oct 27, 2006
    FL full time
    Looks like all systems go. Arrive early evening Thursday and eat at JW Steakhouse. Plans include a tour of the Aurjal al Arab hotel, Mall of the Emirates and a Desert safari with dinner. Should have some time to hang out at the beach and watch cool cars go by. Fly out Sunday evening.

A longer trip would be nice, but time only allows this. Many, many thanks to everyone who responded with great information!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

George B.

11. Yquem

Yquem Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    BELGIO
    Full Name:
    JR
    Marriott is at the Creek, close to the older Dubai. Also in the Creek area:
    http://www.dubaigolf.com/dcgyc/Dining/TheAquarium.aspx
    Perfect.

Always take a cab, it costs two times nothing.
    Going to Dubai Marina (the newer part) from the Creek is at least a 30 minute drive.

If you wanna go out try the Boudoir but make sure you don't hang around at the valet parking too long because it closes at 03.00 am or something already.
    http://www.myboudoir.com/

I just see you're there now, well you will find out....

12. mr_bock

mr_bock Formula 3

Oct 27, 2006
    FL full time
    We just got back to Washinton/Dulles at 6:30 am local time. We had a super time. Dubai is amazing with all of the beautiful buildings and all of the new construction that will only enhance. We saw a lot and did a lot in the short time that we had, but it was well worth it. Drinks at the Bur al Arab hotel was unforgetable. We took many pictures. Even experienced a afternoon sand storm on our way to the desert. We had to stop and pull off the road as it was total 'white' (sand) out. You could not see a thing for a while.

The steak at JW's was great, so was the lamb chops. Good reccomendation!!!!

Did not see too many super cars... maybe we were not in the right spot.

Thanks to all for your suggestions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

George B.

13. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    Glad you enjoyed it George.