The Marconi Collection (old and new images). | FerrariChat

The Marconi Collection (old and new images).

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by FastLankan, Oct 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BrianZuk

BrianZuk F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2007
    NorCal (Bay Area)
    Full Name:
    BrianZuk
    #3 BrianZuk, Oct 24, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2008
    Great Pics Las! Thanks for sharing :)

-Brian

2. Supercar Ace

Supercar Ace Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    Sunny So Cal - LA
    The pics look great buddy! Def a great trip (minus the traffic)

3. B R

B R F1 Rookie

Aug 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    B R
    Cool, I have never been there. I like that FX, pretty wild, but I think it should have some custom wheels on it, just to make it a full custom car.

4. alan

alan Formula 3

Apr 17, 2004
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Alan
    When did Mr Marconi get an M12? Id like to go back just to see that.

5. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Great place. I always enjoyed being there. What ever happened to Jeff S? I took him for a 165 mph ride on Edinger and damaged his psyche! :):)

6. ferrari sulla pellicola

ferrari sulla pellicola Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2004
    Los angeles
    Full Name:
    Richard
    the only thing nicer than all these cars is the man behind them!!unlike most men with a fortune his size Dick has always been a very approachable type guy ready to talk racing or cars!!.and the fact that this whole museum was built so the proceeds from it will help less fortunate kids proves it!! i still have my "Happy Birthday Uncle Dick" button given to guests at the bday party he had in the paddock during the old Palm Springs Vintage Races proudly displayed among my racing momentos!

7. P1-EH

P1-EH Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2007
    Waterloo, Ont.
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I had the pleasure of sitting next to Dick for a flight from LAX to Toronto. Very down to earth guy, and a genuine pleasure to spend a few hours chatting about cars, racing, marriage and life in general. I haven't yet been to his museum, but I've promised myself I'll get their the next time I have some free time in LA.

8. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I was thinking about stopping by there in a few weeks when I'm in town. Is there a charge to get into the museum and does he still have the 456 Wagon on display?

9. Supercar Ace

Supercar Ace Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    Sunny So Cal - LA
    Technically it's a "mandatory Donation," but it only costs $5, well worth the cost and it goes to a great cause. And yes the 456 Wagon is still there.

10. FastLankan

FastLankan Formula 3

Sep 27, 2005
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    FastLankan
    #12 FastLankan, Oct 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. Supercar Ace

Supercar Ace Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    Sunny So Cal - LA
  12. frank4cars

frank4cars F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Frank F.
    It was a pretty fun day. Duane and I did a few interviews for Speed and Motion and it made me realize I need to rehearse a bit. :D Great seeing some of the old gang there too. Although there weren't a lot of cars, the ones that were there were spectacular. Small space too so it was easy to get to everything. It was really cool listening to Maurizio and watching him sketch. I was pretty impressed with Dick Marconi's artwork too.

13. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Unless the 456 Venice wagon is a new addition, he's never had a wagon (only the green spyder which is neither the wagon nor the sedan).

14. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I found this out when I went there last week. The front desk lady looked at me weird when I asked about the wagon. I remember reading that they did have one but they never have. It was still an excellent collection and well worth it. I think the highlights were looking at the CF weave in the 2 F50's and seeing Schumacher's '96 F1 car.

15. Jackmb1

Jackmb1 F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2005
    Beautiful cars. I need to visit this place.

16. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Sorry to bump an old thread, but this seems to be the most recent one in this section about the Marconi museum. Does anyone know anything more about that McLaren MP4/4 F1 car? The photos in the OP show it on the ground back then, but today it's hanging on the wall (as seen in this more recent photo in the lambo section https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/142855954/). It's definitely an Mp4/4 body, but it incorrectly wears the #1 (it should be the #12). Does anyone have a chassis plaque photo inside the cockpit? I'm thinking it's a showcar and not an actual one as I think I know where all original 6 are, but I just wanted to double check. Thanks.

17. Newport

Newport Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2006
  18. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I emailed them and haven't heard back yet. I bet it's a show car they have considering Honda has a real one (chassis MP4/4/5) and a show car (chassis MP4/4/SSC/10). SSC = static show car.

That one in your photo is Coulthard's MP4-12 from 1997. Probably a show car as well. Very very few actual McLaren F1 race cars get out of the factory's hands and if it was on loan from McLaren they would've removed tobacco ads.

19. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I remember going to the fights at the museum and they had a lot of the cars parked outside! I was so busy with the cars, I missed a few bouts in the ring

20. kevin956

kevin956 Formula Junior

Jan 26, 2004
    Pasadena, CA
    I have photos of it on the wall but none inside the cockpit. Regardless, I would go with your conclusion that it is a show car.