WOO HOO! Passed emissions for the last time! | FerrariChat

WOO HOO! Passed emissions for the last time!

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by dstacy, May 14, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    In Texas you have to pass emissions for 25 years. This is the last year for my '84 5-speed. From now on its safety inspection only - lights, horn, wipers, etc. :D :D :D

If you have your car tuned to factory specs, CO of 1% - 2%, you'll fail.

So for those of you who don't know the secret is to take a 3mm t-handle allen wrench and turn the adjustment screw 1/4 turn COUNTERclockwise and then check. Your HC level will climb but CO will drop. There is a happy medium in there that will get you by. Its trial and error until you know the sweet spot. Just remember that a little adjustment makes a big difference.

2. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Dave,

How much experimentation to find the "sweet spot"?

Jeff

3. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    We are getting rid of the IM inspection in 2009.

4. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    YES!!! THAT MEANS MY 84 IS UP SOON ALSO!!! YOU CANT IMAGIN HOW HARD ITS HEAR IN CALIFORNIA TO PASS ANYTHING WHEN IT COMES TO A SMOG CHECK!!

5. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Jeff, to answer your question directly on my car it took just a tad more than 1/4 turn. Every car will be a bit different.

Those of us who are owners in the US should remember that these cars would never pass emissions in any state when they were factory new. This is why we see cars with cats, O2 sensors, and various other stuff added. The good news is the injection systems are not real sophisticated on these cars.

Here are a couple of tips:
    1) Always go first thing in the morning, or on the coolest day. The cool air is slightly denser and will help lean you out.
    2) Make sure the car is completely warmed up. You want it running as warm as she’ll get before you adjust the mixture.
    3) KEEP TRACK of how much you turn the adjustment screw. Don't think you'll know; make a mark with a wax pencil.
    4) If she’s really problematic (mine isn’t thankfully); run plugs 1 heat range hotter.
    5) Pray

71Vette likes this.
  6. celestialcoop

celestialcoop Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2006
    Full Name:
    Coop
    'sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, Kerim. Go to the horses mouth...read it and weep.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/smogfaq.htm#BM2536

A couple of excerpts:

"Smog inspections are required unless your vehicle is:
    Hybrid
    1975 year model or older
    Diesel powered
    Electric
    Natural gas powered and has a Gross Vehicle Weight rating of 14,001 lbs. or more.
    Motorcycle
    Trailer "

and

"Counties that Require a Smog Inspection for Vehicle Registration Renewal Alameda Butte Colusa Contra Costa Fresno Glenn Kern Kings Los Angeles..."

Check out 'smog' related subjects using the Search option near the top of the page.

Coop

7. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    dont tell me that coop!!!! damm, thought we had the 25 year old rule also..thanks for the info,,,

8. celestialcoop

celestialcoop Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2006
    Full Name:
    Coop
    One of a number of small-price-to-pay annoyances when living in SoCal. However, the end still justifies the means. We do love it here; today was a perfect example of why!
    Cheers,
    Coop

9. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Dave
    I lived in Houston for 8 years. As I remember the inspection can be done at a local
    "licensed" garage. IN NJ we have a dual system: free at the state garage and $65 at a private garage. Sometimes our cars just need a little help from a "donor" car that lends its exhaust pipe for a few minutes.
    Ken