Crap car? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Crap car?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by aidanparte, May 4, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    I prefer the amber indicators, so if anyone is throwing out theirs, let me know and I'll take them off your hands!

Aidan

2. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    What my friend here is failing to tell you is the amber ones are also NLA and he is trying to get a spare set because they go for a bunch of $$ :D

3. JAYF

JAYF Formula 3

May 13, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Jay
    The author of that book is a complete joke and non-authority on automotive related topics. It just goes to show that anybody can write and publish a book. I saw that book to because it was on the mark-down rack of my local Borders, because no one in their right mind would pay full price for that pathetic work, in fact no one was willing to pay the 80% off price for it either- there was a stack of them left.

4. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    .................and by the way. I'd like a spare set myself

5. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    I was hoping the donor would pay shipping, too, as I would be doing them a favor by uncluttering their garage.

Aidan

6. Fritz Ficke

Fritz Ficke Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2006
    Tucson, AZ.
    Full Name:
    Fritz Ficke
    It would only be fair,.....

7. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    CRAPPY BOOK may just as well have been it's title.

The picture of the black car makes me want to rethink my favorite color on that car. It has been silver, with the clear markers of course.

8. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I bought my 412 at auction, by the time I got it home I noticed it had a cracked turn signal lens. ( I reckon damaged by the auction house, but that's another story) I checked with Ferrari UK and they had them in stock, so I thought, once I've finished some other work on the car, I'll order a new one ( along with some other bit's & pieces).
    3 months later, when I placed the order, there were none left....
    It took another 3 years to find a replacement ( in Germany of all places ). I havent seen another one since.

Moral of the story: If you need it, buy it now, it may be NLA to-morrow.

IMHO This item is actually one of the most critical and difficult to find / replicate parts on the whole car to keep it legally "roadworthy".

M

9. birddog

birddog Formula Junior

Jun 24, 2006
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Ed
    As a proud Mondial 3.2 Cabriolet owner all I can say is if you appreciate the car - then let some whiny little journalist say whatever he or she wants. I've seen some pretty beautiful 400 & 412s out there, and if they aren't for everybody - so be it. As you can see even within this post - some of us are used to others not truly appreciating their cars. So what? I bought it for my enjoyment - not theirs. And I suppose you all did the same. Just drown out any silly criticism with the symphony playing from your V-12s and enjoy the ride!

10. Fontana

Fontana Karting

Dec 30, 2006
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    Peter Markowski
    I think that the book is hilarious. The guy has a great sense of humor and obviously 400 owners do not have a sense of humor. The 400 is a horror show car, full of electrical issues, belts crammed between the radiator and engine that require a day to replace, unavailable spare parts, a leaky poorly designed rear self-leveling suspension, (KONI will not even re-build the shocks) on and on and on and on... Oil cooler brackets that constantly break off the radiator tanks, crap exhausts made from 22 gauge steel that had pin holes from the day they left the factory, 4200LBS!!! Come on!

I respect that people like the cars but come on, have a sense of humor about it.

One of the great quotes in the book is about the Chrysler TC by Maserait "if this car were in your dreams you should change your medication". The book is full of funny quotes like that.

11. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    Hey! No need to exaggerate - it weighs only 4025 lbs.

I agree that the author has a sense of humor - Jeremy Clarkson's.

Aidan
    PS Since when did unavailable spare parts make a car crap?

12. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    LOL, so your'e saying it's essentially an improved 365 GTC/4 ?

M

13. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    1931 Bugatti Type 41 Royale comes to mind... only made 6. Last one
    sold for $17 million. I bet the new owner wasn't concerned about
    parts being at Auto Zone... there is actually one of these cars
    at the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn Michigan that I got to see
    in person last month. HUGE CAR too - probably weighs as much as
    TWO Ferrari 400s! Bet it corners like an elephant, with basic
    spring suspension only.

To me, tech issues don't make a car ugly. Ugliness makes a car
    ugly.

:D

Jedi

14. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John

So Steve, with all of that trash talking that is sure to depress the prices of 400s for years to come, how long have you been looking to buy one and what colors are you looking for? ;-)

John

15. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I think you wanted to type...."........unavailable EXPENSIVE spare parts...."
    Just trying to help out :D

16. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    That still doesn't make it crap! The crappiest things about the 400 are the turning circle and the fuel consumption (and associated eco-guilt).

Aidan

17. 3wings

3wings Karting

Apr 7, 2008
    South Africa
    Full Name:
    Mike

Hi Steve

Just noticed that you have a 1979 400 for sale on your own website: http://rpmvt.com/79F_Auto.html

You really should include your above thoughts on the car in the advertisement, that way any prospective buyer will know what they're getting into !!!!

best!

Mike

18. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Aidan, what are you talking about? My 400i gets WAY better gas mileage than my F250 pickup! I guess that makes my truck crappy, huh? :D

19. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    I'm saying nothing.

Aidan

20. aleventhal

aleventhal Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2005
    Millbrook, NY
    Full Name:
    Alexander Leventhal
    #45 aleventhal, May 6, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Steve - you have known me long enough to know that at least *I* do have a sense of humour about my 400i (#049773 - see pic below)!!!!

Incidentally, I think both sides are right on this: The 400 is a crappy FERRARI. This is alot like the ugliest SUPERMODEL. It may not be as great as its peers but it is still pretty good! :)

A
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    i love my 1978 400a and have for almost 7 years and 75,000km. amongst the the 6 Ferraris i currently have, with 2 more on the way, it is the only one not for sale. i won't sell this car. last sunday morning my buddy and i, along with the wives, went for a 2 hour, high speed rip through countryside on a route that is wonderfully scenic and well known to me. actually, i consider it my my 'test track' , so i know every curve and every apex, and it was thrilling for all 4 of us. it is just a fantastic way to treat some friends. the 400 makes that possible, comfortable and special. this car just does everything you want it to. it is fast, precise, elegant and civilised. in fact, with a couple of overnight bags in the generous trunk, 4 people could easily take off for a high speed, week long road trip in a 400. it is that brilliant in the way it seats 4 passengers. the girls in the back sit higher and toward the center so they have the same incredible ease of viewing, if not better, than the guys up front, and i have never been in a car with better driver visiblity than a 400. it would make an awesome family vehicle...(i'm working on that).
    i highly, highly recommend a 400 provided it is in good running order...and the beauty is they're not that hard to keep that way. i'm looking forward to comparing it with my 5-speed injected car which is getting a new motor now, but i doubt i could like it anymore than my carbed auto... we'll see.
    my 400 will be making the 1200km round trip from Toronto to Montreal for the GP for the 5th time in 6 years this June.

22. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    ....and it gets better gas mileage than an F250 pickup.
    BAWAHAHAHA :D Oh man! Sometimes I crack myself up
    (or is that I'm a crackpot? I can't remember)

23. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    Crackhead!

24. mrfissa

mrfissa Karting

May 27, 2005
    1BIGFIAT!

You do have a sense of humour!

One of the best vanity plates I've seen in a while.

Salute

25. Fritz Ficke

Fritz Ficke Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2006
    Tucson, AZ.
    Full Name:
    Fritz Ficke
    The problem with the 400 is that it has that FERRARI badge on it. If you just pry that off and then people can injoy it for what it is, a hand built high speed GTwith seemless power that seats four well and has trunk space, instead of their preconceived ideas of what a Ferrari is soppose to be. That is why I really like Aleventhal's "IBIGFIAT" it cuts through some of that. Maybe it helps people see it from another angle?