Yellow on tan 400i | FerrariChat

Yellow on tan 400i

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by bjwhite, Apr 8, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
  2. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Yes, discussed many times. A couple of us have been looking at the car, but no one is willing to step up for $23k. Looks like the current owner got it w/ all the services done, drove it over the last 3-4 years about 5k miles and now that a big service on belts is due he would like to sell it for all the money he paid for it and a few extra... I do like the color. But with a big service on the horizon, and the dash being a little messed up and the paint not REALLY nice...I am thinking $19k at most on that car... If it is still available in 6 months, I will probably buy it, but I would prefer a red one w/ tan interior.

James

3. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    She's #51697
    ZFFEB06B000051697
    4/2002 for sale privately (PA),
    4/03 for sale M. Scaglione (PA) $24k 63k miles,
    5/04 still for sale $22k,
    2004 or 2005 in (FL), possibly sold by Cavallino Motors (FL),

4. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    I think the color is one of its drawbacks. Never been a yellow on tan fan. Yellow on black is decent, but then how some people say red doesn't work on a 400i (I disagree) I certainly do agree that yellow doesn't work on the car.

$23k? Jeez.....that's still nothing considering what you're getting.

5. ed_and_tonny

ed_and_tonny Karting

Aug 4, 2006
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Full Name:
    Ed Quillian
    James and I have been trying to investigate the car but the owner has yet to make it available for inspection. He has had some valid reasons for delay but now the car has reportedly been sent to a local mechanic to have the hydralic lines repaired/replaced. That was 2 weeks ago however and still no word. Begining to wonder if there aren't some more underlying issues cropping up. As for yellow, I'm a fan of yellow and yellow/tan works for me just fine.

6. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    If you are looking at $10k worth of work and a new paint job you can do WAY BETTER! Saying that I HAVE NOT LOOKED AT THE CAR, so I don't know what it needs. From my interactions with the broker and looking at the past info from Dave, and looking VERY CLOSELY at the high rez pics I was able to get, my thoughts are you will be $30k into this car in a real hurry before you are really happy with it, if you pay $23k... I have seen recent $25k 400i's that needed virtually NOTHING and had SUPERIOR paint and interiors...

YMMV!
    James

7. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Ed, I think you and I are the only ones really into (or maybe even willing to put up with) yellow. Like you I really like the car. My preference would be resale Red, and I know you would actually prefer yellow, so I hope it works out for you. That said, I agree with your view that there may be more here than meets the eye considering the seeming unwillingness to make the car available for inspection and the current visit to a shop... As I said, it would not surprise me if $10k were needed pretty soon after purchase, so getting it for more like $18k or less would make it a good deal, at $23k you are upside down in a real hurry...

Good to see your are still out here on the Forum Ed! Keep me posted and best of luck!
    James
    Austin, TX

8. Max4HD

Max4HD Formula 3

Jun 20, 2006
    Florida
    IMHO, it looks like a NYC taxicab.

Albeit, a real fast one!

Cheers

9. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Come on now...that is FLY YELLOW man, NYC cabs are not FLY YELLOW, they are yucky yellow! ;)

James

10. desmomini

desmomini F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Rock Hill is right down the road from me. I'd be happy to do a look-see if you want a preliminary inspection. PM me if you wish.

11. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    Yellow is all wrong on that car. I would be shocked if a single 400 came that way. Jellybean colors on a 4 seater Ferrari never look right....

12. ed_and_tonny

ed_and_tonny Karting

Aug 4, 2006
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Full Name:
    Ed Quillian
    The broker for the yellow (supposedly the ONLY yellow out of the factory) is in Rock Hill; the car is outside Chattanooga

13. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Ed, I was the one that told him that, and I got that from Dave... There is another yellow one in Austin that has been turned in to a convertible, so he was not be completely honest with you. I told him that info as well too...I also told him that there is no way to completely tell if in fact that is one of only a few factory yellow cars or even if it was yellow from the factory or not...

James
    Austin, TX

14. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Certainly a way to tell. Contact Ferrari yes?

15. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I was under the impression (maybe incorrectly) that Ferrari did not keep color info on their cars... I thought Dave had said something along those lines to me in an email about this particular car...

James

16. ed_and_tonny

ed_and_tonny Karting

Aug 4, 2006
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Full Name:
    Ed Quillian
    quite possible. would be nice to see a pic of the original paint code sticker. then again it would be nice at this point just to hear something from the owner??????????

17. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    Pull the door panels....

18. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Good idea! I like that one! Ed, I am w/ you I would love to hear SOMETHING about the car since he IS trying to sell it. You would think he would be anxious and would have had the car ready to go once it was listed, but I guess NOT!

James

19. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Did this car ever get sold or even looked at. I know a couple of us on this list were trying to have the car PPI'ed but it didn't seem like the owner was really interested...

James
    Austin, TX

20. ed_and_tonny

ed_and_tonny Karting

Aug 4, 2006
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Full Name:
    Ed Quillian
    never heard another word. got busy getting the alfa fixed up. Maybe I'll email the broker again and ding him but I'm rapidly loosing interest in this car.

21. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Hey guys, the yellow 400i is back on the market. It has finally come back from a VERY LONG stay at a dealer (or some other repair shop). They had to fix the rear self leveling suspension stuff and while they were at it they fixed the leather on the dash right in front of the steering wheel.

TONS of new pics. Car looks quite good... Unfortunately I am not going to be able to purchase it right now, so it is up for grabs from my point of view anyway. I know a lot of you guys are not so hip on the Fly Yellow 400's but this one looks pretty good and seems to have had a pretty good service.

Good luck and best to you all,
    James

http://picasaweb.google.com/TheMotorClub21/1984Ferrari400iFlyYellow

22. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    #22 koisokok, Aug 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    looks like something is different in the engine bay....can any one tell me.??.one pic is mine the other is the yellow one..is that 109,000km....or 9,000km??
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    What is that contraption over the timing chest, & the bulbous unit over the power steering unit??

24. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    air pump for emissions

25. BoxerCrazy

BoxerCrazy Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2002
    Charleston WV
    Full Name:
    Douglas A Hunt
    i thought these had timing "chains" not belts??

doug