OMGJON's Flairs - A Discussion | Page 3 | FerrariChat

OMGJON's Flairs - A Discussion

Discussion in '206/246' started by dm_n_stuff, Jan 4, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Actually that is an interesting question.

Myself: the Cobra flares are done properly, not a half-baked hacksaw looking rush job like the Dino and competition Daytona flares.

I do though think the original Cobra is the prettiest looking.
    Pete

2. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    There were 5 USA Flared coupes. I'm lucky enough to have one.

3. nerodino

nerodino Formula 3
    BANNED

May 19, 2005
    Suffolk UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    How many UK cars were delivered with this option?........ I am sure i have read that there were around 22 Gts versions ( my car 07528 being one) but i dont know about the GT

4. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Wide wheels and wide fender flares-optional in 246 Dinos
    These options started appearing on 246 Dinos in the car number range of the 4000s (earliest in the register is 04676). A Dino is Germany, 03650, is said to have flares, but unknown if the option is a factory original, or not, and confirmation has not been possible. The total number of Dinos which were produced with this option is unknown, however the register has 145 cars listed which suggests there were certainly less than 200-250 so equipped. The option appears most common on USA and British version cars. The breakdown is as follows. 246GT coupes: British version-22 cars, European version-5 cars, and USA version-5 cars. 246GTS spyders: USA version-91 cars, British version-21 cars, and European version only 2 cars. It is difficult to get a good sampling of cars in Europe and the flares option on the European Dinos may not be as rare as the figures would seem to indicate.

Factory invoices billed the wheels and flares on one line and described them as:

In April 1973 the option added US$ 680.00 to the price of a new Dino.

"Wheels size 7 1/2 x 14 - wider wheel housings"

The 7 1/2 inch wide wheels were always Campagnolo "Elektron" , but the factory never called them out by name. The standard wheels they replaced were made by Cromodora - 6 1/2 inch wide.

Ferrari enthusiasts refer to the options by various names, "Daytona package" being the most popular. "Sebring spyders" and "Chairs and flares" are also used in the USA. The British refer to them as Dinos with "big arches".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Daytona seats"
    Even though it is common to find Daytona seats in cars with wide fender flares and wide wheels mentioned above, it was a separate option and had to be ordered in addition to the flares and wide wheels. The owner of Dino 04878 claims to have a letter from the Ferrari factory which states that his car was the first to be equipped with daytona seats by the factory. Earlier cars are known to have them, but it is possible that owners have switched seats or had them redone with daytona inserts.

The factory invoices described them as:

"Daytona type central seat panels"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Taken from the dino register 18 jan 08

5. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I would have to take exception to this.

My car, 04798, shipped from the factory with a blue leather interior. An ugly blue leather interior. it's a 1972, US spec. car.

when I bought my car, it had black daytona seats in it, that were in an incredible state of disrepair. When I hauled them out to repair/replace them, I found blue leather under the existing dye, they had been re-dyed at some point.

Can I prove conclusively that they are original to the car? Nope. But, when I chased the car's history, I found indications of the interior being re-dyed, but no indication of it being replaced.

Are Ferrari's records complete? Who knows. If I called them and asked them if my car had Daytona seats originally, they might be able to tell me. 04878 would only be 40 cars later down the production line than mine, and could actually have been completed before my car left the factory, depending on demand, and/or assembly at the time. I think to assign a specific serial number to the first chairs car is a little hinky, to say the least.

Dave M.

6. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Dave

I agree the serial number does not truly reflect the sequence a car that came of the production line.

As with all things at Ferrari in those days, it depended on how much vino the guy had for lunch!!! Think Italian?

Tony

7. nerodino

nerodino Formula 3
    BANNED

May 19, 2005
    Suffolk UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    #57 nerodino, Jan 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. vetconstruction

vetconstruction Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Michael A. Whitlow
    Well, Well, I have to say that this has been a very interesting turn of events. I do have to say that of all the threads I have read, I love what Jon has done-I should have said so earlier but.......so many before me have said basically the same thing I would have.
    Jon has done a fantastic job in not only preserving a car but he has definitely made it his own in regards to HIS choice of adding the flares-I'm not a fan of blue cars either BUT what I do like is the art of cars and the passion associated with said art. Jon said early on in his restoration, that he never intended to put it in a concourse show, he wanted to build a car he wanted. Judging from the amount he has spent in not only time but in money to "tool" up for this project-Id say that flares or no flares, we all have learned a great deal on his dime.
    I think that the purists have every right to be "pure" but, I see some fantastic things being done to muscle cars and....they don't seem to affect the value.
    Just my two cents.

9. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    An original invoice is not seen the often Graham, bet you wish you could buy it for that price today!!

I have a picture of mine with the front wing stoved in around 1974, it had flares on it then. Also i believe mine was the Maranello demonstrator car in 73 and it had all the extras that went with the car at the time?

tony

10. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Flairs or chairs, with or without, would not be a deal breaker for me. The 246 Dino is a beautiful car. ;)

11. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    If it is, I might well have driven that car.

12. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Really !

Would love to hear more?

MC owned the car for 1 year before selling it.

13. TomTerry

TomTerry Karting

Jan 20, 2008
    Those who think we are simply stewards of vintage cars and not self-centered individuals will wonder why John didn't just find a version he wanted rather than basterdizing an original car into something thefactory never intended. His over restoration work is lovely but he's now reduced the pool of originals by one and I can't help wondering that a future owner will have to redo his work to return the car back to its correct configuration.
    In one post he mentions that he is looking to recover $11 million from his accountant so funds were definitely not the issue.

14. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Thats his choice to over restore the car, i happen to agree with you on that but it is his car.

I personally couldnt do it (time, money and expertise) even if i had that, which i dont, i admire people like John Corbani who "just drive it and enjoy it"

I did my engine in the summer, spotless. 1000miles later, grubby again. Buggered if i am crawling underneath to clean it either.!!

So whats the point?

Easy, its just my opinion guys

15. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    I find your post rather offensive. Its exactly how I WANT THE CAR. Whether the factory didn't "intend" for it to be like that is not an issue to me. There will be no future owner.. well my kids.

16. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    No kidding! It's your dam*ed car and you can do with it whatever you want. (Leaving aside the fact that you're going to have the most beautiful Dino on the planet.) It's not the freakin' Mona Lisa!

If I had the time, money, and inclination (I'm 0 for 3), I would not hesitate to do what you've done to my own car. Of course, I would stay with Verde Germoglio! ;)

17. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    Tom,
    Your title applies to you, not Jon. The post is offensive...to Jon and the thousands who have been following his story here. Almost all of us modify our cars to some degree. Mine is significantly modified and I enjoy the mods. I fix things as they wear and the car is better than it was when I bought it. That is my way. Jon told us what he was going to do and why. They were perfectly good reasons and he has followed through magniicently. Go away!
    John

18. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

And that's the beauty of it. I felt back at the start that Jon was destroying an original Dino for his own pleasure, and that what he was doing was totally inappropriate.

BOY, WAS I WRONG.

Jon has done a fantastic job with the car, and certainly kept it original looking for the most part. Added flairs? Well, they were available at the time his car was built, right? So no harm there.

just as some here questioned my selling my Dino recently, some questioned Jon's motives, and they are purely personal. If he's happy when it's over, and the car still screams, "DINO" then all is right with the world.

19. 4redno

4redno Formula 3

Mar 21, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Keith Mitchell Wintraub
    Pretty harsh comment Tom.

If one is fortunate enough to own a Dino and keep it running so that it can be enjoyed by another generation of enthusiasts, that's a very good thing. Flares/chairs and mousehairs are minor details for FCA judges. Rest assured when I'm driving my Dino, I don't think about that stuff. I just say to my self, holy crap, I have my dream car - a Ferrari Dino!

Of course Jon will probably be saying, holy crap, I have two Dinos and a Muira SV! Which one am I going to play with next?!

...Keith

20. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    How sad.

The beauty of this whole section is the variety of approaches people take to these lovely cars; I can't decide which I admire more, Jon's beautiful restoration or John Corbani's beautiful patina!

Both of these cars and owners make me SMILE!

21. greg246

greg246 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Sounds like sour grapes from a Dino wannabeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

22. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    One should be able to do with their own property how they see fit.

I assume the flairs/chairs could be removed by a future owner if they so choose.

Bottom line: The Dino is in much better shape now than before the project began. Kudos for your acheivement. Thanks for making a great car even better.

23. TURBOQV

TURBOQV Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2003
    NV and Utah
    Class and Respect cannot be bought either. Your comments and diatribe obviously lack both.

This is one of the most thourough and precise restorations a Ferrari Dino has seen and we ALL should be proud of his accomplishment.
    WHAT HE DOES TO HIS CAR IS HIS BUSINESS AND HIS ONLY. IF YOU DONT HAVE ANYTING POSITIVE TO SAY, split like an atom and take ur criticism and opions with u.

I dont know what your all about since you have no info on ur profile? I suggest u either apologize or find another board to troll. You comments are indeed offensive and tacky and serve no purupose other than to piss people off i assume?

Some of us have followed this from day one and are amazed at what we see. We are also thankful to see it so well documented to the F-chat community. This is the best thread i have seen in 5 years on F-chat!

Thank you John

Cheers

Paul

24. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    omgjon's Dino will get grubby again, so as long as all finish is close enough to factory, correct patina will be readded ... assuming this car is going to get used (which I have read it will be :) ).

As for modifying, hmmm, I like standard cars ... but once somebody bites the bullet and modifies their car, well time to move forward and discuss other things :).
    Pete

25. ENZOSON

ENZOSON Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2004
    Erie, Colorado
    Full Name:
    PIETRO
    #75 ENZOSON, Jan 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Jon... ignore it.

And I respect your wish to keep it in the Family....

Here I am on June 10th, 1976... the day my Father brought her home.

Cheers.

Pietro... keeper of S/N 01296
    Image Unavailable, Please Login