P4 Replica .... | FerrariChat

P4 Replica ....

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by SupercarGuru, Feb 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    Hey you guys!

I have a good friend and client with a P4 Norwood in yellow, i posted pics from Cavallino. These cars seem to have a pretty good value for a replica. They use Ferrari V12 engines etc so its understandable.

I have the opportunity to buy a Ferrari P4 Fiberglass car which looks amazing for what it is, it is a 308 chassis 308 engine

i have attached one picture ill try to get up more...

What do you think these cars are worth?

http://www.alloutexotics.com/MVC-008S.JPG

2. goyal99

goyal99 Karting

Mar 5, 2002
    Upstate NY - USA
    Full Name:
    V K
    Why don't you ask Mark Collins at http://www.collinsclan.co.uk/Pages/Cars/P4/P4.html

He's project P4 is in the finishing stages....He must know for sure how much these cars are worth....There's another thread on "Poor man's P4 replica" with info on his project.

VK

3. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
  4. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    #4 P4Replica, Nov 3, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    With apologies for the rather belated 'bump' to this thread. ;)

The car that JT was referring to is a Noble P4 spyder, powered by a 308GT/4 V-8 built by Jim Carpenter.

I think, from memory, the photo below is the one that JT originally posted .... w-a-y back when.

Does anyone from the FL region have any more recent (and preferably hi-res) photos of this car, that they could share ? Thanks ! :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    He mentions that it is based on a 308 chassis. How is that possible? Would be intriguing because then you could register the car as a Ferrari. I always thought that all P4 replicas are "kit cars" with a real Ferrari engine at best. Paul?

6. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    #6 P4Replica, Nov 3, 2007
    Quite simply - IT ISN'T Andreas. Pure myth - probably originated by the car's builder, Jim Carpenter.
    You can clearly see in the original versions of the first two photos below, that the chassis is a Noble spaceframe.
    There are lots of other clues to this car's 'Noble' origins (in fact it's almost 'bog-stock'). E.g. Note the fuel fillers. ;)
    Both these photos came from an article, entitled 'Red Hot in Arizona', published in (UK) Performance Car in February 1993.
    The car was previously featured in Sports Car International magazine in February 1992 - making similar provenance claims, IIRC.
    Note in the third photo down, the car was carrying Arizona license plates HLH-990. Does that ring any bells with anybody ?
    You're correct to a certain extent, Andreas, in that most P4 replicas (that use Ferrari engines) use only the motor. A few (348-powered) cars also use the transmission. Others - also the wheels. Then there are the odd cars, such as the Sbarro P4's, and the original Norwood 'Boxer' P4's which were built using (most of) the original Ferrari chassis.

However, most P4's, as you said, use only the engine. Which probably means the original Ferrari was scrapped. So, if some less than scrupulous builder / owner was to hang on to the Ferrari's original registration documents, these could be used to (re)register the car as a 'Ferrari'. All you have to do, is convince the government inspector that he's looking at a 'Ferrari chassis'. It happens all the time. :(

Funnily enough, I was only trading PM's with NNO earlier today - about a (albeit very nice looking) P4 replica that is UK-registered as a Ferrari, and allegedly based on a Ferrari chassis. I know this car very well. It is nothing more than another modified Noble P4 'kit car', powered by a FIAT Dino 2-litre motor (with Renault transmission), that was originally built in France. The car's current owner obtained a registration document from a totally unrelated car (IIRC a 330GTC), which had been scrapped, and used that to get the car registered in the U.K. as a 'Ferrari', on an age-related (1967) license plate.

Unfortunately, this kind of chicanery happens all the time. I could cite MANY such falsely-documented cars.
    I really don't know who these owners think they are fooling. My own car is still registered as a 1985 Renault 25 V6i, incidentally. LOL !! :D

7. Ferrari250GTO

Ferrari250GTO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    Philadelphia PA
  8. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    Makes a refreshing change from your usual responses of 'Very cool!' or '+1'. ;)

9. bushwhacker

bushwhacker In Memoriam

May 25, 2006
    Phoenix Az.
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    The P4, one of the most beautiful pieces of art to caress the pavement with four wheels.........replica or not.... it's just amazing Paul. I saw my first P4 at the Riverside Times/Grand Prix in the sixties, I think it was driven by Chris Amon, what a piece of automotive history.

10. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
  11. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
  12. Ferrari250GTO

Ferrari250GTO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    Philadelphia PA
    :D LOL

13. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    The current issue of Forza has an article about Sbarro (gosh I love this crazy cook!) and mentions his P4 replica on 308 chassis. Come to think of it, that makes actually a lot of sense to me. Basically the same layout and concept. Makes me wonder how feasible it would be to take a 308 today and put a Noble body on it?

14. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    Already posted elsewhere by NNO, and copied by me into post #50 of the Sbarro P4 thread, Andreas. ;)

See: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=172907 and http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showpost.php?p=137193176&postcount=50
    What ?? Are you advocating more sacrilegious butchering of REAL Ferrari's to produce 'Fake' replicas ?? Shame on you, Andreas. LOL ! :D

15. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    #15 P4Replica, Nov 6, 2007
  16. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    It was actually a serious question.

Is it just me or does the Sbarro P4 look short? Particularly the section behind the driver looks different. Comments?

17. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    Andreas.

Rather than go over the same ground again, may I suggest you read the comments (not just mine) about the car's rear deck ....

.... in the 'Any 1st Hand info on this Sbarro P4' thread: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21625&page=2 (more on page 3).

18. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
  19. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Well, given that a real live P3 just underwent a resto, would it be possible to get dimension data for building an *authentic* recreation? (E.g., new cars built to original prints.)

Or would the factory frown on that?

20. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    Is that any particular car that you are referring to ? #0844 ? #0854 ?
    All things are possible, given enough time .... and money. ;)
    Probably. :(

21. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
  22. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    And I am not alone.

23. bushwhacker

bushwhacker In Memoriam

May 25, 2006
    Phoenix Az.
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    As much as it's a timeless design, it's still a replica race car. What do you do with it? Driving it on the street it seems would be awkward at the least.

24. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Why? Jim drives his real one on the streets.

25. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Neither is Paul.