Boxer Buyers Guide | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Boxer Buyers Guide

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Newman, Oct 6, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I hear the a/c might not be great if you lived in egypt but for me in canada its just fine. I dont use it a lot since we dont get endless summers here so I enjoy the heat as much as possible.

2. mr.modena

mr.modena Formula 3

Nov 6, 2003
    Czech republic
    Full Name:
    Jaroslav Hanus
    http://www.czechferrari.cz/ar_epilog_2006/ar_epilog_2006_117.jpg
    http://www.czechferrari.cz/ar_epilog_2006/ar_epilog_2006_119.jpg
    http://www.czechferrari.cz/ar_epilog_2006/ar_epilog_2006_120.jpg
    http://www.czechferrari.cz/ar_epilog_2006/ar_epilog_2006_121.jpg
    http://www.czechferrari.cz/ar_epilog_2006/ar_epilog_2006_122.jpg
    http://www.czechferrari.cz/ar_epilog_2006/ar_epilog_2006_123.jpg
    http://www.czechferrari.cz/ar_epilog_2006/ar_epilog_2006_124.jpg
    http://www.czechferrari.cz/ar_epilog_2006/ar_epilog_2006_125.jpg
    http://www.czechferrari.cz/ar_epilog_2006/ar_epilog_2006_126.jpg
    http://www.czechferrari.cz/ar_epilog_2006/ar_epilog_2006_127.jpg
    http://www.czechferrari.cz/ar_epilog_2006/ar_epilog_2006_128.jpg
    http://www.czechferrari.cz/ar_epilog_2006/ar_epilog_2006_129.jpg
    http://www.czechferrari.cz/ar_epilog_2006/ar_epilog_2006_130.jpg
    http://www.czechferrari.cz/ar_epilog_2006/ar_epilog_2006_131.jpg

this car has Austrian licence plates
    pics form Alfa Romeo Epilog 2006, Czech republic

Who is/was producer of this 3 shooter exhaust system? Factory? I think no.

3. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman

4. Italian Lover

Italian Lover Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2006
    Full Name:
    Italian Lover
    #154 Italian Lover, Mar 22, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Just recently I've done AC services on several rear engined Ferrari's.. BB, 512TR, 308 etc... on each I've used 134a gas in an R12 system but added a Wurth AC seal and rubber conditioner/stop leak product.. (actually 2 cans on the BB as it was older and has a large capacity system...)

So far, after more than a month now, the BB A/C works very well indeed.. (Previously, after just having 134gas with no condiitoner, it stopped working in just a week or so).

The 512 TR actually froze my knee and I had to turn it off of maximum!

6. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Im going to take some shots of the CIS system of the Boxer and point out some issues we all might be interested in knowing about to prevent our cars from becoming infernos at a very inconvenient time. I ran into a problem with my #12 injector line 2 winters ago where it would seep fuel when cold (im talking canada cold) when I ran it during the winter months in the garage. Once warmed up the leak stopped. I replaced the nylon portion of the line as the orignal line is no longer available and it was a prick to do but it worked. After every run I look at the fuel system just to see how things are and so far no other leaks but my boxer is 25 and the newest one is 23 years old so we are all going to have some very serious issues with the fuel lines sooner rather than later. Like I said Ill post pics tomorrow highlighting the trouble areas on the CIS system which I think is fitting in this boxer buyers thread. I would like some carbed boxer engine shots if possible (sans air cleaners) and some feedback from those owners so we can add to the already great thread. I know Ive learned a lot from it so far.

Also Ill be replacing my axle seals in the near future so Ill post the proceedure here pointing out some other areas to watch for when buying a boxer and how the job is done. As well, the boxer fuse block upgrade Sam is working on will also be covered here. Ill be replacing them on a couple of boxers, hopefully one of them has a toasted fuse block for all of us to see.

P.

7. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #157 Newman, Apr 28, 2007
    Here are some shots of the dozens of fuel lines on a CIS injected boxer. The opaque line is the #12 injector line I replaced as a test prior to ordering the same material in black to duplicate the factory look (they didnt have black in stock at the time).

In the one pic of the cold start injector you can see the line has a gap between the barbed end and the nylon line which tells me this line isnt happy anymore. My car is 25 years old and 36K kms. The dilemma is do I leave the good ones alone and change them as they cause grief or do I risk causing more leaks by changing all of them next fall? Its a tough call and when you look at how many lines there are it would be a daunting task, almost something to reserve for an engine out service or a powertrain restoration. Like I said before, the lines arent available new anymore so making them is the only option and they are not all the same size.

You can also see my filler neck, a problem waiting to happen but I have a new one of those, finding the time is the problem. It looks original so its time to change it. Any car with CIS is prone to this problem and its something to watch out for. When mine leaked it was a fluke that I saw it. I was standing in the garage admiring the engine like a gear head when I noticed the drip onto the valve cover. A small drip yeah but if it caught fire those lines would melt like candles on a cake with 2 high pressure pumps feeding the fire, bye bye boxer.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    I posted this in another thread I'll post it again here for reference to carb BB owners

Its a good idea to run your fingers along the fuel line connections and banjo bolts on each carb when the car is running, you'd be suprised to find they may have minor leaks which may require tightening of the bolts as they work there way loose or may have worn lines on the inside and being covered in cloth you can't visually see a leak as well.

A stuck carb float can ruin your day causing the fuel to overfill and spill onto the motor, any sight of steam while driving or running should cause and immediate motor shut down, thats fuel getting ready to ignite, run some cleaner through the motor occasionally and be wary of cars that sit as they may have gunk build up in the carbs.

There are 3 or so plastic fuel line Ts that connect the fuel lines together for the carbs also one down on the bottom by the fuel pumps, these can get brittle and crack with age and cause a significant leak, BTDT.

Make sure all the float holding pins are snug and have safety wire on them holding them tight

9. RufMD

RufMD F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 31, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Jas
    Excellent advice. The other day, I went out and fired up my '79 512BB...I had opened the hatch and a good friend of mine was looking at the engine while I started it and idled....all of a sudden he's yelling "shut it off ! shut if off !"....a fuel line connection on top of the engine leading to one of the carbs was loose and fuel was leaking onto the top of the engine ! A couple of turns later and the leak was fixed. All other fittings were then checked, but a close call.

Car runs great, but needs a close eye to look for potential problems as they might occur. I hope to get this car to Tim Stanford at the end of this year so that he can give it a thorough, thorough lookover and "restoration" of the engine bay etc.

10. Frank R. Masiarz

Nov 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Frank R. Masiarz
    #160 Frank R. Masiarz, Aug 5, 2007
  11. Gary Robling

Gary Robling Rookie

Aug 10, 2007
    Full Name:
    LEFT BRAIN
    I am the proud new owner of a 1979 Ferrari 512BB with 6100 KM. I am in need of a wiper arm & blades. My car has the regular wheel centers and I am interested in finding the three spoke wheel centers. Can anyone assist me? Thanks.

12. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    Hi welcome,

do a search on the KOs I posted contact info for Borrani in Italy to get them direct cheap, don't have the info now

Post some pics of your BB and give us some history and stats on your car as well

13. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Boxer production numbers, per Cavallino:

365 BB (carbureted): 387

512 BB (carbureted): 929

512 BBi (injected): 1007

Anyone have an idea on the number of surviving Boxers?

I have done a search; opinions on general condition of surviving Boxers came up but nothing specific on number.

Thanks.

14. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    thanks and good question, a rule of thumb for the older muscle cars was always 10% surviving (there are exceptions) but there are too many variables. Since boxers werent abused from day one or considered a cheaper source of exotic car transportation more of them (% wise) would be around than say a dino246 or 308gtb. I would love to know but I bet more than half of them are still around, probably 75% left?

15. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott

At a good 75% guess, that leaves 1750 cars, with maybe 50% to 60% of those in very good to excellent condition?

I see situation comparable to 60's 2+2's...Boxers have always had their following, yet in the past have not been market leaders by any means, and are now picking up steam in the market. They have yet to gain the cachet that their famous predecessor, the 365GTB/4 Daytona, has enjoyed for a long time now. I would tend to think that the neglect/deferred maintenance factor is more-than-minimal in the surviving Boxer population.

BTW, they are awesome cars.

16. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman

yes, very awesome. Drove mine sunday when the sun finally came back, I still get a rush and feel pumped when I return from a spin.

17. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Is that a pic of your Boxer in your profile? Looks great.

18. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    yes and thanks! That was taken at Legenday Motorcar after an exotic car meet, then we went for about a 1 hr country road blast as a group.

P.

19. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Borrani is of course a source, but they can also be had from MWS in the UK at a very fair price. I haven't seen them in the flesh, but their other products are great, so I would expect the same.

Happy motoring,

Jack V.

20. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    would these have the horse on them? I need a right side spinner due to peeling chrome on one ear from mallet use. Rechroming buggers the horse up so thats not an option I want to try.

21. 308geo

308geo F1 Rookie

Nov 13, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    George Benton LaFleur
    Great thread...I've been wanting a Boxer as my next car. It'll be awhile, but I want to study up on them.

22. vino1620

vino1620 Karting

Apr 15, 2008
    Encino. Calif
    Full Name:
    Neil I Afromsky
    #172 vino1620, Jun 13, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2008
    This is all very helpful as i have been looking for one for a while. Just came back from Arizona and looked at two of them; one with 4900 mi. DUHHHHHHHHHHH NOT! Soooooooooo can we have a vote as to what everyone thinks is the "Best" and most reliable of the Boxers!

23. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Personal preference is a big factor when you say what is best. The BBi is the most refined and easier to live with than the other 2 versions. I prefer the injected version for the look of the engine, starts in an instant put it in gear and go, improved cooling system plus a clean one is easier to find. Another benefit i find is the injected car is as good on fuel as a honda hybrid yet delivers gobs of power and the 12 cylinder sound.

24. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Newman has it right on the button when he mentions personal preference! I had the very special priviledge of driving all varieties of Boxers, and three excellent examples as well, last Monday. I ended up buying the 365 GT4/BB for all the reasons that Newman mentions. I already have a 550 so I didn't want refinement. And although the BBi delivers A 12 cylinder sound, it does not deliver THE 12 cylinder sound IMHO. The 365 simply does not compare to either of the other Boxers. The 512BB has 1,000 fewer revs in store and just stops short of the glorious carbuttor scream of the 365 (although it sounds great until it runs into the redzone), and the BBi simply sounds like a shy choirboy in comparison to either. It really didn't grab me, but it certainly was the easiest to drive of either and still a very pretty car.

I'll do a little write-up on this driving day in English but as a taster and some pics I refer you to the Dutch language thread here: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=208590

Onno

25. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman

Welcome to the club and post us some info please! My little choir boy with with 365 headers and ansa exhaust left nothing to be desired for me tonight when I wound the snot out of it. A 4 can stock exhaust boxer of any kind sounds plugged up and quiet, certianly not impressive!