Tire question Again... | FerrariChat

Tire question Again...

Discussion in '206/246' started by MRONY, May 28, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MRONY

MRONY Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2007
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Mike O.
    I got 5 new Michelin XWX's from Coker

3 tires are coded DOT FHT9 A5H X 4106, which I take to mean they were made in the 41st week of 2006.

2 tires only say DOT FHT9 A5H. Oddly, these two tires are also missing the "Made in France" stamp. They also have a code "CZ 1591 20-2427" unlike the other three which read "BM 432 20-2427"

They all say "89W E2 025502"

Any translations here?[/

2. mini_ferrari

mini_ferrari Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Chattanooga, TN
    Full Name:
    Jerry Preisel
    I'll check into that. It may take a couple days, but I'll let you know something on that.

Jerry

3. MRONY

MRONY Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2007
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Mike O.
    I've also got a call in to Coker to see if they know. Maybe these were made for the European market, and they don't care how old their tires are?

4. mini_ferrari

mini_ferrari Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Chattanooga, TN
    Full Name:
    Jerry Preisel
  5. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mike.

Jerry is from Coker tire. He's our in house Coker connection.

Dave M.

6. MRONY

MRONY Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2007
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Mike O.
    Yeah, I'm waiting for his answer! Nothing simple. Michelin says the date is the digits at the end of the DOT number (so 4106 is 41st week of 2006.) They don't understand why the two tires don't have a date code. Might be on the inside-facing sidewall (the car is at my country house, so I can't check for a couple of days). Also some confusion about who actually makes these tires! Michelin said Coker has the molds, Coker says they don't. I just want to know I bought 5 recently-manufactured tires!

Nothing with Dinos is simple. Pick a scab...

7. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

After waiting over 19 months for my XWXs to arrive from Coker a few years ago, I couldn't get a straight answer from either Michelin or Coker (no offense to Jerry) as to the reasons for the delay (other than a report that Michelin had shifted production from one factory to another and that Michelin had also changed the tire category - something like "historic/veteran" to "vintage" [or vice versa]).

I also couldn't get anyone to state what the differences are between the old materials and old construction techniques and the new ones supposedly used to make the Michelin/Coker XWXs. Not that I expect Michelin or Coker to divulge any specific secrets, but I would like to know what current tires the Michelin/Coker XWXs are closest to in terms of materials and construction.

And, I am also curious as to whether the current XWX really meets the VR rating, and when/how the last time the rating test or determination was made for the XWX.

Mark

8. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    Interesting. On another note, I got some Vredestein Classics for the Morgan a few months ago. (Not too many options in a 185-15, and they were much cheaper than the Dunlop SPs.) Anyhow, they have turned out to be really excellent tires. Classic looks with modern construction, they say. When I checked the Vredestein website, I see that they offer the same tire in a VR-rated 205/70-14.

http://www.vredestein.com/Banden_Bandtypes.asp?BandgroepID=5&BandtoepassingID=0&BandtypeID=17&PageID=2&Rimsize=14&UserSessionID=99585688

9. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

10. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

11. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    I got the ones for the Morgan through my mechanic here in Charleston. I can ask him where he ordered them from. I'm pretty sure that it was a mail order place, but not Tire Rack. Maybe the place Dave found. That price of $158 for 185HR-15 sounds about right.

12. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    That slots them right in between the dirt-cheap Sumitomos and ultra-pricey XWXs. Now, if Dave's friend can cut us a deal...

13. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

We can have them for $170 each from my guy.

Contact Dave Cohen, at Cloverleaf Auto, Malvern, PA they can ship UPS, whcih is not included in the price. Mention FERRARICHAT when you call.

These guys are very responsive, and good guys too. A couple different fchatters have used them for LBC repairs.

[email protected]

www.cloverleaf-auto.com

610-647-5900

thanks all.

Dave M

14. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    Great price! We need to get somebody to try a set. (My Sumis are like new, or else I would.) Thanks Dave!

15. mini_ferrari

mini_ferrari Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Chattanooga, TN
    Full Name:
    Jerry Preisel
    Mike,

Check the other side of the tires. Michelin only puts the date code on one side of the tire. The dates should be right about the same time. Michelin France still produces the tires, for some reason the people answering the phones at Michelin NA think that we do, but we are just the North American distributor for them. Hope this helps. Let me know if you've got any other questions.

Jerry

16. mini_ferrari

mini_ferrari Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Chattanooga, TN
    Full Name:
    Jerry Preisel
    Mark,

Your purchase might have been before I started at Coker, as I was unaware of any production shift. As far as the materials and construction of the tire, Michelin won't divulge any details about that. All they will tell us is that they use the original molds, but use modern rubber compounds. Michelin also assures us that they do meet V speed rating specs, but we do not know when the last time they were tested. Hopefully that will clear things up a little.

Jerry

17. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jerry -

Thank you for the information. Please believe me - I wasn't trying to pick on you or Coker. All I've got to say is thank God you guys are working to keep all of these oddball tires in production.

Mark

18. mini_ferrari

mini_ferrari Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Chattanooga, TN
    Full Name:
    Jerry Preisel

I know you weren't. You just were just trying to get info, nothing wrong with doing that.

Jerry

19. MRONY

MRONY Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2007
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Mike O.
    Of course, the codes were on the inside wall of the two mystery tires. They also were dated 4106. I don't have a lift, so I used a dentist's mirror to look under there.

Happy, fresh, very expensive rubber.

20. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    Anybody want to try the Vredesteins?

21. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Thank you for the option, I'm getting 5 Vreds and will be able to compare them to the XWXs, Yokohamas, and GoodYear Eagle sets that I have.

Your man has a great price and shipping was 40% less than the XWX set I bought last year.

22. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006

That's great. Be sure to let us know how they work out. As I said, I'm really impressed with the ones on the Morgan! Would love to see some pics as well...

23. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

We're seeing Scott soon and when his tires arrive I'll take some photos of our XWX shod GTS and his Vred shod GTS for comparison and then I'll post them here.

Mark

24. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Received them, mounted well and took them to triple digits this weekend. Drove really well and very sticky rubber.

THX DM!
    Dave Cohen at Cloverleaf shipped them for less than expected, total bill was well under four figures for 5 tires across country to my door.
    My tire guy knew about them and gave them a thumbs up, they mounted without issue and I'd seriously recommend them to anyone.
    More as I start living with them, I now have 23 Dino tires in my garage.

25. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    #25 Crawler, Jul 9, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm glad to hear everything worked out and that you like the tires. One of the Fchat advertisers (in the UK, I think) had this photo of (they say) the 205/70-14 Vred on their website.

I'd still like to see a photo of your car with the tires...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login