Michelin TRX Tires - not in production?? | FerrariChat

Michelin TRX Tires - not in production??

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by NY400i, Mar 26, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NY400i

NY400i Karting

Mar 26, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    Full Name:
    James
    Hey guys,

I just bought my '84 400i but I just found out that Michelin no longer manufactures the tires any more for this car. Is that true? How do people
    get around then...literally drive any where unless they have to but
    different ferrari rims?? This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of.
    I was told to go to Coker tires since they bought the mold from Michelin.
    So now coker makes their own which I was to,d was sub par quality next to michelin. What have you guys done alternatively? By the way, these tires
    cost $419. Any ideas on how I might get passed this problem? I still have
    the originals on them but I'm thinking I'll die trying to drive with them on.

Pls pls..any help would be most appreciated!

Thanks!

2. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    The TRX is a metric size tire - it was an experiment that didn't become popular. English (inches) sizes are still the norm. Several guys have switched to 328 16 inch rims - this does not significantly change appearance as the pattern is the same but tires are MUCH cheaper, better and readily available.

I'm sure several members will chime in with how to handle the swap or alternate suggestions.

Keep the originals and get some Cokers if you want to show your car.

Regards,

Art S.

3. NY400i

NY400i Karting

Mar 26, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    Full Name:
    James
    Thanks very much Art! What do these 328 wheels look like?

problem is that I will have to invest at least 2K to buy them correct
    which doesnt even include tires.

Any ideas where I can buy these wheels? Who makes the tires for these
    328 wheels?

What an undertaking I'll tell ya...wow!

4. aleventhal

aleventhal Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2005
    Millbrook, NY
    Full Name:
    Alexander Leventhal
    The easist way to do this is to go with teh Superformance repro 308qv wheels. Lyle tanner should have them. They will bolt on with a set of spacers also available from lyle and use your stock wheel bolts. I think they are $1,200 or so a set. The other choice is genuine ferrari 328 wheels, available from the UK. This was my choice but it is not a direct bolt on as they don't clear the front wheel bearing dust cover so you have to machine a collar to clear and hold the horsie cap. This is what I did. Work fine but it is some effort. There is a thread on this with pictures of my wheels on the site somewhere...

The good news is once this is done, tires are cheap for ever. :)

A

5. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Changing tires on a series 2 Ferrari 400i is not for the weak of heart.
    There are no shortcuts.

$419 per tire from coker. $1,676 plus shipping, plus mount and balance.

Or buy 4 wheels, the spacers you'll need (unless you go with 308 wheels), and tires. Around $2,000.

Sorry for the bad news. These are not cheap cars. Welcome to the big time.

Would you mind sharing the serial # of your car. I track every 400i in the US. I might be able to give you some history on yours.

6. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Tanner is out of the spacers and doesn't plan another run of them.

Hill enger. has them, but woo hoo the price has jumped big time.

7. NY400i

NY400i Karting

Mar 26, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    Full Name:
    James
    Do you have a website of the place where I can buy the genuine 328 wheels?
    BTW, what kinds of tires do you use? and how much do they cost going forward. Anything is better than buying low quality cokers at $419 a piece.

Thanks!

8. NY400i

NY400i Karting

Mar 26, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    Full Name:
    James
    who is tanner/lyle? parts store? Vin # is ZFFEB06B000050439.

Please let me know on any history you know of.

thanks!

9. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
  10. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    The 328 wheels look basicly like the stock 400 wheels except they have a slightly different offset (why you need the spacer) and are 16" - meaning you can fit any R-16 tire you want (there has been much discussion on this board as to which tire is best). 308 QV wheels will also work as alex said (they look similar too).

Regards,

Art S.

PS. What is your name? I prefer to address my responses when I reply.

11. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    When I replaced the TRXs on my 308 a few years back, I bought them off of Tirerack.com for like $200 each. That's been about 4.5 years now, so they may not still have them.

12. NY400i

NY400i Karting

Mar 26, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    Full Name:
    James
    Art,

My name is Jim...noce to meet you and thank you for all of your tips on tires.

but just to be clear, if I do get the 328 tires (16")...does that mean I can
    have any 16" tires put on at my choice?

How good of a quality are Lyle's repro wheels? Where can I get the reals one from the UK? USA doesnt have 'em?

So just to confirm I can only use: 308 or 328 wheels that are 16" correct?

I wonder how much the real ones are...

308 vs. 328...what is the exact difference...according to lyle's website they
    both look exactly the same.

thanks again for your help! Perhaps I can return the facor in due time.

JIM

13. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Yep, one problem.....308's metric tires are a different size than 400's.

308 = $239
    400i = $419

14. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Jim,

Nice to meet you too. I wish you the best of luck with your car.

The 308/328/400 wheels all look basically the same which is why they were suggested if you want a stock look but the convinience of 16inch wheels. If you want more 'bling', there are plenty of other wheels out there that will work. If you stick with the stock look, you can use 308QV (last version of the 308) wheels with a spacer or 328 wheels with a spacer and a minor modification as described by Alex.

I do not have experience with Lyles wheels, the UK supplier is Ferrari of UK. You can also hunt around the internet for a used set of OEM wheels or just find an aftermarket style that has the correct offset and bolt pattern.

If you switch to 16 inch wheels, you can use any tire of the correct size. When picking size, it is desirable that the tire you pick has a similar rolling radius to the stock tire so that the speedo will remain accurate (unfortunately, I don't remember what tire size i best - Alex or the other guys can advise you on this), otherwise you can choose from a number of high performance tires.

Regards,

Art S.

15. NY400i

NY400i Karting

Mar 26, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    Full Name:
    James
    Does the ferrari of UK have the cheapest OEM wheels? Is that why no one buys them from the us or italy?

What types of bolts and spacers do I need?

16. NY400i

NY400i Karting

Mar 26, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    Full Name:
    James
    Hey Alex,

Not sure what you mean by machine collar and clearance and holding horsies...can you re-explain?
    Do you mean i have to force it on...like hammer it into place or something?

i guess 308 wheels is the easiest approach?

17. aleventhal

aleventhal Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2005
    Millbrook, NY
    Full Name:
    Alexander Leventhal
    #17 aleventhal, Mar 26, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Ok - sorry I will answer a few questions. First, yes - Ferrari of the UK is the cheapest source of the 328 wheels. Anyone else who is selling them new is getting them from their. I think it is www.ferrariparts.co.uk or reach them via the ferrari classic part service on the ferrari owners site. For tires sizes I run 225/55/16 at all four corners in winter (Bridgestone Blizzak) and 245/50/16 in summer (Avon Turbospeed, I believe - hi perf tire made for a heavy car). Finally with respect to the collar the deal is that the 400i and 328 wheels have a sort of snout in the center to clear the large wheel bearing dust cap - the 328 wheels have a flat face as the 328s went to a different style of wheel bearing. As a result, on the front wheels only, you cant put the center cap in the 328 wheel when mounted on a 400i as the dust cap (or cotter pin with the cap removed) blocks it. So you need to machine a small collar to clear the dust cap and hold the horse. It needs a countersink on the top for the horse and a sort of taper on the bottom to mate with the wheel countersink where the horse used to go - attached pictures should help make this clear.

let em know if this helps,

A
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. NY400i

NY400i Karting

Mar 26, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    Full Name:
    James
    Hi Alex,

thank very much for taking the time to explain. Do you mind me asking how much the OEM 328 tires were plus shipping from Ferrari UK? I'm still waiting on
    a pin to log into the site which will tell me the price...I just registered.

So the center cap can be bought like the way you have it in the pics?
    Once I have the 328 wheels I should be able to use any conventional (most
    up to date tire on the current market) tire and not rely on TRXs right?

Did you have to buy the center caps separately?

Thanks again,
    James

19. Fritz Ficke

Fritz Ficke Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2006
    Tucson, AZ.
    Full Name:
    Fritz Ficke
    I am under the impression that Coker saw a need for TRX tires and promised to buy a run of them from Michilin, I brought a set of these, they are made in France by Michilin sold only through Coker. I belive about once a year Coker has Michilin do a run. So the quality is what you would expect from twenty year old technology made today by Michilin. I belive Good V rated tires in a popular normal size that will work will save about $700 a change, It will there for take three tire changes to break even on a set of real Ferrari 328 wheels spacer etc.. If you own the car that long or drive it that much more power to you, buy the wheels and stuff. I did not feel in my owner ship it would be worth it, just my take on the issue, Fritz

20. NY400i

NY400i Karting

Mar 26, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    Full Name:
    James
    I actually called coker today and said it was on backorder and that they receive them from france. When did you get yours? how old are your tires?
    they said that they would actually be 2-4 yrs old on average. Did you check the date on the tire? Its the DOT number.

Jim

21. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Jim,
    I know where you can buy a set of series 1 wheels (15" series 2 went to metric) so they would be factory correct ferrari wheels for a series 1.
    They'd run you $2k.

I have a set for my car and it solves ALL the problems and you still get to be "correct".

Put a set of Pirelli P4000's (Z rated) on and away you go.

22. Fritz Ficke

Fritz Ficke Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2006
    Tucson, AZ.
    Full Name:
    Fritz Ficke
    I ordered mine about four months ago, I just checked the DOT # , 2804 You are right that makes them 2004 ? is that correct?

23. NY400i

NY400i Karting

Mar 26, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    Full Name:
    James
    it means july 2004 since its the 27th week in the month. Are they michelins though?

24. NY400i

NY400i Karting

Mar 26, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    Full Name:
    James
    28th week i mean

25. NY400i

NY400i Karting

Mar 26, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    Full Name:
    James
    where can I buy them? I'm not really following...can you explain with greater detail...i'm sorry.

Jim