need help with adding fluids to 400i | FerrariChat

need help with adding fluids to 400i

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by koisokok, Jan 20, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    what kind of fluid goes into your oil reservoir for the self leveling suspension?/ im just a rookie and want to make sure that i use all the right stuff..thanks in advance,,

2. Dodici Cilindri

Dodici Cilindri Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2006
    Great Plains
    According to the owners manual front and rear shock abosrbers utilize Agip # OSO35 hydraulic oil. Consult with other lubricant maanufacturers for a possible cross reference.

3. timthetooth

timthetooth Rookie

Dec 18, 2003
    Previous answer is for shock absorbers, only relevent to your front dampers.
    You need ATF Dexron in the self leveler's tank, the same as that used in the power steering.

4. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    thats the black tank right next to wear you put the oil in?? right??

5. timthetooth

timthetooth Rookie

Dec 18, 2003
    In my car, a 1984 model the power steering and the rear suspension share the same tank near the radiator fillers on the left of the engine bay.
    On earlier models I believe the tank is on the right side of the engine bay, slightly forward of the engine oil filler. The fliud in it should be red.
    The tank in mine has a dip stick attached to the lid, the level should be checked with the engine running, as the fluid level varies, rising slightly when the car is not running.

6. 400iGuy

400iGuy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Al
    #6 400iGuy, Jan 23, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here's the tank. The nut on the top of the cap is for the dipstick previously mentioned. On my '84 400i it's on the passenger side (right).

Al
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    GOT IT!! THXS!!MINE ALSO IS ON THE PASSENGER SIDE..

8. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    tim, isnt atf dexron transmission fluid?? or do they make a atf dexron for power steering?? i purchased the atf dexron fluid but its a different color than the one already in there..so can i just put regular power steering fluid in because its the same color? please let me know..thanks..

9. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    I am going to bring this post back up as I have a similar question regarding the power steering oil requirements. Our manual says AGIP ATF DEXRON.

If I were to replace the power steering oil, 1. are there any tips/tricks to doing this other than following the manual's procedure? and 2. what is the best AFT DEXRON oil to replace it?

10. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    #10 raemin, Mar 30, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
    Except for Dexron ULV (ultra low viscosity), You could use any dexron (II, III, and maybe VI).

These oils get thinner when they degrade.. They have basically a different viscosity when new (II thicker than III, which itsel is thicker than VI), but the older dexron (II & III) degrades faster over time so at the end of the day the viscosity index ends up at ~4 whatever the type of oil you use. (You'd better change the oil before it gets so low.)

More details here : https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/printthread/Board/16/main/315939/type/thread

Actually I would use DIII rather than DII. On my old renault auto (designed for DII), the car does not work properly on DII as the new blend of DII does not degrade fast enough and remains thick for too long, which makes the shift a bit too harsh for a while. On DIII the viscosity is right away "spot on".

Did not try Dexron VI (5 times more expensive), so cannot comment on its use in an old system.

11. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    It's a big chore to fully flush the PS system. Also there were some posts a while back on a replaceable filter in the PS reservoir. Anyone have any more info on getting a new filter?

12. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    ATF is the generic name, Dexron is the GM license with a corresponding set of norms. As of 2011 the licensing has changed with more restrictions for the older types, so manufacturer are now writing "ATF typ 3" instead of "Dexron III approved" . This adds a bit more of confusion, but any Typ 3 oil should be good enough.

13. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    Thank you for the responses. I read the procedure in the owner’s manual and it did not mention how to drain the oil. Any help on the entire procedure would be appreciated.

I bet we are all going to have the cleanest and prep’d F-cars ever after 4-5 months of staying at home!

raemin likes this.
  14. rovexienus

rovexienus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Sainte Colombe, France (near Lyon)
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
    Attached pages F25 to F28 of the WSM containing the oil change procedure.

Attached Files:

15. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    A big thanks 13 years later ! :)