Boxer vs Countach. | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Boxer vs Countach.

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Fan512bbi, Oct 12, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    Right, you have shown yours already for a fact

2. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Guys, guys, guys, come on...we should simply be talking about how cool, intersting or great the Boxer and Countach LP400 are, nothing more.

No more nastiness or name-calling needed. You guys should make up and put it all behind you, or else I feel a 'ban' coming on for several of you. Is this how Boxer enthusiasts behave? Cmon. Calm down you guys.

Boxer vs Countach: 2 great cars from the 70s. Styling, Performance, Build quality, Handling...they both have different areas they excell at, and different people like them for different reasons.

Joe
    www.lamborghiniregistry.com

3. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #103 joe sackey, Oct 17, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Maybe these images of the seminal LP400 will help everyone calm down...enjoy.
    Joe
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #104 joe sackey, Oct 17, 2006
  5. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    pretty cars but the split side window would drive me nuts. I hear this talk of getting used to this or used to that, its true but then again if you lost both your legs or lost your sight you would adjust as well. Its just a matter of how much you want to compromise in life or "adjust" to like something.

6. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    LOL!!!

7. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    I am also a fan of both cars, and like Birdman said no one has really commented on the reliability/maintenance of these cars.

Also, how does the LP400 compare to the LP500, or the QV5000S? From what I've read the LP 400 had more or a race engine, but was unreliable. I've actually heard that the countachs had overheating problems? Is this true? Can they survive a rush hour jam in 80-90 degree weather? I have also heard that the Anniversary addition is the best rendition of the car. I personally think it's the ugliest version.

I was 13 when I saw my first countach. I heard this F-1 noise as I was walking home from my bus stop, and as I looked behind me the I saw this white car, the driver was revving it, (like the drivers of F-1 rev their cars when they're in pitted) and he cruised past me at about 20mph and then pulled up to the intersection and stopped at the red light where he continued to rev it. My mouth dropped! It was really the coolest sounding/looking car I had ever heard. It was white car with no wings. The next time I heard that car, I was standing on my front lawn, (it was dark out and I couldn't see it,) but I knew it was that car because of the sound, and the way the driver was feathering the throttle. Anyway, the driver was stopped at that same intersection as I metioned before and I guess after he got a green light, he just got on it. It was an amazing sound. The next thing I heard were police sirens, and that was the last time I ever heard or saw that car.

8. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    #108 JohnMH, Oct 17, 2006
    Cool story.

I have driven in both. I am 6'4" and fit both. I like both (and would own both if I could). Different, but both nice. If I had to choose, (OK I did choose) I'd have the Countach. Still would stretch to find a BB tomorrow if I found a good one at a good price.

As for prices, I do know of a white 365 which sold a few weeks ago for Cdn$120K. Nice original shape, needs some restoration.

I never managed to find that mythical $30k Testarossa, but I did manage to find a $20k one.

9. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    The LP400 is a great looking car! IMO so much better than the later cars.

10. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Youre right the Countach is more of a race car in set up, especially the engine. The Countach can be quite fragile, and they were not built as well as the Boxer. But get one dialled-in (as Ive always done with mine BEFORE enjoying them) then they are as reliable as any Italian car of the era. As a result ever had one overheat on the 405 freeway in bumper-to-bumper traffic, or anywhere else for that matter. Never had one break down on me. BUT, thats my personal story, and I make sure my cars are well-fettled. A few minor things have dropped off though... :)
    Have had absolutely no problem getting Countach parts and Bobileff tells me its the same as Boxer, really. So, I dont think there's much difference there. A "dog" will always give reliability problems (Boxer or Countach) and a "jewel" will always be a supreme pleasure (Boxer or Countach).

Joe

11. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman

More like $5K TR....

12. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    I would appreciate it if you willl leave me out of your grudge matches in the future. Thank you.

It would appear that you are following this thread as well, and to think that according to you, "I" gave the Testarossa owners a bad name *LOL*.

13. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    Those tyres might as well be whitewalls :)

I grew up in the 80's so the these early Countach doesn't do as much for me as the later ones. I would prefer the 5000S QV over all of the others. I must admit that the rumored quality, reliability issues and the possible lack of Lamborghini factory support (Wasn't even sure if they were going to make it until Chrysler purchased them in the late 80's) scared me off as a potential owner. IMO, the Countach and Miura define the brand Lamborghini.

Thank you for sharing these pictures with us.

14. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman

15. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.

16. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    JohnMH,
    There is a yellow Countach in Abu Dabi. Would you happen to know who owns it?

17. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    I agree with Anthony..I prefer the wider tires, the big fenders and the rear wing. A Countach without that stuff looks funny! The LP400 looks a little anemic. I guess I'm in the minority!

Birdman

18. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    Ya know, I used to be a wing guy. I thought the two wings looked really coold, but now I think they look better without the wings. I prefer the wider tires/fenders, but no wing. I think it makes the car look sleeker. The car looks like it was developed to have wider tires but the tire/suspension technology wasn't there quite yet.

19. Rock

Rock Formula 3

Nov 9, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    #119 Rock, Oct 17, 2006
    I like the lambo, but I love the ferrari. This was purchased from the second owner. A totally original 365bb complete with all the original items including the tires!

20. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    Title: Take a pill.

I never used the word offensive, feel free to re-read my single sentence post. You seem pretty easy to crank up, it takes no effort on my part, lol. I mean *LOL* . Ill have to remember that next time I feel like bugging someone and for the record, you started the bad blood in the boxer threads now live with the fall out.

Have a nice day

21. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I still like him :) Its not like he insulted you, just stated facts. We can re-read your flame wars against sarti and anyone that disagreed with you and rate your personality next, lol. Oh wait a minute, everyone already has.

22. Murph

Murph Formula 3

Apr 26, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Who gives a sh*t what Newman sent you.
    How old are you guys?

Back on topic, anyone know how the Countach production numbers compare to the Boxer numbers?

23. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    It seems to me that the measure of a true enthusiast is one who can appreciate a marque which one does not own. I have owned a Boxer. I currently own a Lamborghini. And, I like a whole range of other cars, some of which I may be fortunate enough to own, with enough time, opportunity and the pleasure to enjoy them. Pissing on other people's choices always seems to be in bad taste. I am sorry this thread has degenerated and kudos to those of you who rise above the churlish.

24. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey

Could have said it better! << Applause>>
    Boxer, Countach, they're both great cars,that excell in DIFFERENT areas.
    Speaking of Countachs though, I know some of the younger guys like the later be-winged, be-spoilered cars. They are very cool too, especially the original LP400S Series One! But the grandaddy of them all is and will always be the pure, un-adulterated LP400. I suppose thats why collectors pay three times as much for a pristine Periscopa.
    If Boxer prices are on the way up as Countach prices have been, Im happy to see that - the enthusiast owners deserve it.

Joe

25. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I don't think I have laughed so hard at a thread in all my life!! This can't be real...More please!!