Boxer vs Countach. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Boxer vs Countach.

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Fan512bbi, Oct 12, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    Man up and get a big 12 Boxer, if you like the 328 you'll flip over the BB the way they drive and power, sell the 328 if needed you won't regret it ask me now thank me later

2. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Hmmm...

Love the 328 - not sure I could stand to sell it. Maybe talk to me after the JTR drive.

3. LP400S

LP400S Formula 3

May 18, 2002
    West Coast
    I have both cars. You would be surprised how easy the Countach is to drive. The clutch pedal effort is not really different than the Boxer and the Lambo steering actually feels lighter. Once in the Lambo it feels quite roomy since that windshield is so big and open.Keep in mind I am 6'3 and headroom is not a problem in either.You can only see forward in the Lambo. The Boxer is much quieter inside and feels more refined. IMO, both great cars thats why I bought them:)

4. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Ill be selling my restored 308 once complete because the boxer stole my heart. It shares some genes with the 308 so you get the 308 but more power and man, the sound is to die for especially under a bridge! The push from behind is also something the 3X8 lacks. You'll be glad you did.

Another thing, lets face it, when you go to a show and roll up in a boxer, you have instant respect from anyone there. They are just such a cool, rare and respected car as well as very rewarding to drive.

5. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    I love these comparison tests. Kinda like: "Godzilla vs King Kong!!" ;)

6. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Forget it, the black one is gone, although Gary is replacing the interior - like I was going to do - as well as some mechanicals. I was hoping that deal would fall thru...

7. JTR

JTR Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 26, 2005
    in a house
    Full Name:
    John
    I could see my boxer sharing the garage with a countach, especially an early one with carbs!

8. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    The mags have been doing that 'face-off' for years- I distinctly remember the one in R & T from the era- Dick Fritz brought the Boxer, an Indian fellow brought the Countach- there were as I remember, problems with both cars. There was a rematch. Car magazine did the same thing back in the day. And, I'm sure there were many more. (It is like recycling old music for a new generation). My recollection of the conclusion in most of these pieces was- the Boxer is the more sensible car, the Countach the more outrageous.

9. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Had the choice, bought a carbed LP400S. Guess I am a nobody, but wasn't this debate settled about 25 years ago outside during recess?

The Countach is (imho) real, pure and raw, but (oddly) not that tough to drive. It is exactly as advertised, especially with the sound of those sidedraft webers.

I passengered in a BBi once, seemed like a soulful long distance tourer. I'd love a BB one day but if I could only ever have one, I'd never sell the Countach.

10. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    I looked at a few CTs before I bought my BB and they seemed very poorly put together compared to Ferraris, the interior dash layout like a kit car, one owner I talked to said his car a LP400 was slow and not that great of a car to drive he had multiple exotics his favorite to drive was a TR.

My gf at the time told me she would refuse to ride with me in it if I bought one as well as it was rather ugly looking with all its Darth Vader angles and scoops, I don't think the design has aged well with the flares the early clean model has aged much better.

11. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    i would have both, with carbs..... if i only could .... :)

12. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    Ditto!!

13. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    The Boxer (of any iteration) is one of the few Ferraris that I would actually like to own (as opposed to having the odd chance to drive). That said, given the choice of ANY Boxer on the planet or ANY Countach... the car in my garage would have scissor doors, no wing, and would have a nice periscope rear view mirror :)

14. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    For me it would be a 365 BB, the rawness of the Countach with the elegent shape that only the BB has....so for me its Boxer.

15. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    #40 JohnMH, Oct 14, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I am in the process of going through my LP, no kit car aspects to it at all, just bespoke work. An example is the suspension, most Ferraris have a multitude of rubber bushings which probably add to comfort but need replacement, the Countach has none except for those surrounding the eyelets on the shock absorbers, everything else moves on precision bearings.

The amount of work assembling a truly handmade car to that precision is impressive. Think early 70's Can Am car, you get the idea. The carbed ones are peakier but quick, the 4 liter ones with the bigger carbs are a little less driveable but more aggressive at high rpm.

There is nothing "production" in a Countach, unfortunately it is getting that way with parts availability too.

Looks cool though.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Well looking at the above pictures...guess I better start saving because I think I might want both......

17. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah

!!! WOW!

OK JOHN, YOU GET A STANDING OVATION FOR THOSE PICS! :)

18. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    I believe I read that the earliest and purest of all Countach are now trading for over $200k. That is double the $ needed to get a nice Boxer. Given the price difference I would opt for the more civilized Boxer. If I had $200k to spend I would think about a Daytona.

19. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    365BBs with history are approaching $200k as well, There is an early 80s 2V injected Ct here that went for $29k recently that needed a bit of mechanical work and some paint from sitting outside for a few years. 80s Ct still can be had in the 50K and 60K range, an 89 CT with 15k miles sold for $64k here a year ago I looked at it, had some chips up front a small ding and a curb rashed wheel was all that was wrong with it. You can still find bargains for some BBs as well.

20. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    That is a comment I really don't understand...why would one buy a Daytona over a Boxer even if the money was the same? When I first got my Boxer I could have bought a Daytona for around $100k which I could have easily afforded...yet I chose a Boxer as I just think they look better...yes I know the Daytona is a little rarer and has more competition history, but since I was buying for my personal enjoyment, I chose the car I liked best...not a car I thought other people liked best. The car I regret selling for $75k about 10 years ago is my former 330GTC...now those cars are real beauties IMHO...

21. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    #46 JohnMH, Oct 15, 2006
    Maybe we should start a Daytona vs. BB thread?

But seriously, if you know anyone with a well tuned Countach, ask for a drive. There are "dogs" available of either, but I have seen fewer Countach "dogs" recently, they do seem to be climbing in value a bit. I don't really follow BB prices to much.

One more of the engine room. Sidedraft webers (the big ones) sound joyous.

22. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I have a model of a lp400 on my bookshelf, it is truly amazing what a pure and intense shape it is. Had a countach been a one off show car it would be opne of those 5mill showcars today. It is a pity that the design brillance did not carry through to the interior, the prototype had a bit more of a sci fi interior/seats. The execution does not necessarily live up to the looks. That all being said the pure lp400 shape has to be one of the if not THE all time great car designs.

23. TiAmoVeloce

TiAmoVeloce Karting

Nov 17, 2003
    So. California
    #48 TiAmoVeloce, Oct 15, 2006
  24. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    Gorgeous...and the cars look great too! ;-)

Is it my eyes or does your BB have hex nut rims instead of knockoffs?

25. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    What is there not to understand? Its my personal opinion. I feel that the Daytona is a legend. It is an Icon and the Boxer is probably not. That is probably why if you would have bought a Daytona for $100k you would have pocketed $125k in the recent price increases. Instead you bought the Boxer because you think they are better looking and I respect your opinion. I like Boxers because they are a good value and have a wonderful 12 cylinder engine. Boxers are handsome cars but not as beautiful as Dinos or 308s in GTB form. That is just my opinion.