NEXT$$$$$$$JUMP | Page 4 | FerrariChat

NEXT$$$$$$$JUMP

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by msdesignltd, Sep 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    LOL, I can't believe what I am reading in this thread. Such polarization on the Boxer vrs. TR! I am standing here looking at a black 512BB. No matter what angle I choose the thing looks like an orgasm on wheels. In black it is particularly sinister. I am shopping for a TR, but these things have a more viseral appeal. To me anyway. I don't care at this point about how it's built or even drives. It sounds pretty amazing and this one has carbs so u get that swooshy sucking sound the "i's" don't have.

I'm looking at a red TR now (same showroom) and it is pretty, but in a different way, not as gut turning, but still evoking strong emotion. It too sounds great, but I can make it sound better with the aftermarket, even as good as the Boxer.

The TR is sleek and with its sharp angles appears more teutonic, or at least more like a razor sharp fighting knife - it's all business with a bit of Italian style. Still, you cannot use the word utilitarian to describe it, but compared to the Boxer, it may fit.

The Boxer is a highly styled Ghurka knife, all curves and swoopy lines. It has an organic appearance, like a mechanical cheetah.

The point? Different car, different reactions, same emotional excitement. As far as investment potential, well, who cares? If ur into this for the money buy tax free bonds instead. That said, how can anyone deny the eventual appreciation potential of the Boxer as well as the incredible value for money one gets with a TR in the current market? Buy now because neither car will stay that way.

2. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I agree...I like the TR just fine..I owned one for several years and drove it around 40k miles during that time frame...I ahd very little problems with it...a major service, new tires, a clutch slave cylinder and brakes as I recall. And while it is an icon of the excess of the 80s, there were just so many made in the exotic collector car world that they will not likely appreciate much more than the inflation rate in the future IMHO...

3. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I started this thread mearley to bring to everyones attention....The Tr is the last collectable....PERIOD....Nada zilch nothing else will fall into the category that this generation calls collectable Ferrari....its a no brainer....I am not pitting one against the other, just stateing the facts....The TR is Going to catch.....94/95 F cars mark the official end of collectability as we know it....

4. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Why 94-95 specifically, what shifted at that point to halt collectability? When did the F50 end production?

5. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    *L* Not at all. But my girlfriends and I do hate it when that happens. You have no idea how lucky you and your boyfriend are to never have to worry about silly little things like that. :)

6. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael

Excluding the F50.....Mass production became the stable at that point.

Kinda like a generation change happened..
    Am I the only one that thinks that?
    Any relationship between Enzo Ferrari's concept and the reality of a money making business had changed eternally...

7. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    *L* Exactly, you home wrecker. Look at what you did to the Ferrari family. I think you owe all Boxer and Testarossa owners an apology.

Again, IMO, they are both great cars. As for financial apprecitation potential of each, only time will tell, if one truly cares.

8. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    I agree. IMO, it happened when Ferrari decided to evolve and to cater to the masses by moving away from the 12-cylinder MR setup with the 550. Not that the 550 is a crappy car, just feels like it is missing that little something a MR car has to offer in the modern-day exotic cars era.

9. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael

10. 90TR

90TR Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2005
    Celebration, FL
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Just got back from a 2 hour run in my lowly TR. A/C on, 12 pistons pumping behind me, 80's station on the Sirius; camera phones flashing, thumbs up from my fellow travelers- what not to love?

Peace out.

11. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    I think you mean Prozac as I do not know anyone name Zak or Zack thus I can not be "Pro-Zak" or "Pro-Zack". It is an overused and overrated medication, IMMO.

12. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael

Fess Up! What are you on???????????

13. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    i'm not sure how you can say that. i was just in a shop last week with my 328 on the rack a boxer next to it and a 308 next to that. they look almost identical. in fact i remarked to my mechanic how i never had noticed how close they were. they have the same grill same belt line same radiater vents on the hood same rear spoiler. from the side the front fenders are almost identical and has a similar buttress from the roof down to the quarter panel. i'm not sure how these cars could be much closer together and still be distinct models. again, if you line them up side by side in the same color, the similarities are striking. overall, i think the 328 is the ultimate example of that styling exercise. but i must admit when standing directly in front of the cars, the boxer wins. all my opinion of course.

14. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    ↑ Heresy!

Not really, I said this in another thread before. Similar, not identical, is the key phraseology.

I do disagree about 94/95 being the cut off for collectables. Every hear of the 550 Barchetta? How about the F360 Challenge Stradale? Two models to watch once they get depreciated. You can hope for the SuperAmerica once it gets depreciated.

Earlier models? Well after the 1995 F512M (75 copies?), the '94/'95 348 Spider (1090 copies) and '93-'94 SS's (115 copies), not much except 1999 F355 Series Fiorano Spiders (104 copies). Maybe the Challenge race cars, but that's a limited market.

I guess I somewhat agree with that statement with reservations.

15. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Move away from the 12 cylinder MR(I assume you mean mid engine) setup?...you need to read up on Ferrari history...the 12 cylinder mid engine setup was in fact a temporary move away from the front engine 12 cylinder setup that had been the staple of Ferrari road cars since 1949! The 456 and then 550 were in fact a move back to what had made Ferrari road cars famous...and desirable.

16. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael

Maybe with the advent of the mclaren, the diablo, the turbo porsche etc. performance levels matching ferraris were common place in the mid 90's. previous to those days, ferrari had a monopoly on superperformance and mystiic...even though the Barchetta is very significant it only ties its competition with performance levels of its peers.....Turning the corner of 1990 saw the demise of this Monopoly, hence the end of the F40 and the testarossa's.
    and Ferrari as king of Supercars...

Did I just say Ferrari is not King?????

Sorry it'll be quite a while before any iteration of a 360 becomes collectable, they will just become more used!

17. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #92 msdesignltd, Sep 15, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
  19. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Real thing they say. Think we saw this one at Concorso Italiano once. Gorgeous lust mobile. Get thee behind me, Satan!

20. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    You need to look again...while the Boxer and 308/328 series are similar to the extent that they both have a mid-engine car shape...the similarily ends there. I have had my BB512i parked next to many 308s and 328s over the years and they are easily distinguished from each other...

21. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I'm sorry, but all this ranting about "Ferraris after 19XX will never be collectible" is old news. People have been saying the same thing since they started doing series production in the mid-1950s.

Blah blah the 250 Boano will never be collectible because they built a bunch of them more or less the same! They're not unique any more! Enzo sold out!

Heard it all before, and I'm sure in 2020 they'll be saying that anything after the 430 isn't collectible anymore.

22. mrp_e

mrp_e Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2003
    Coasts
    Full Name:
    Bill
  23. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
  24. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    It's been stated before but bears repeating, it's all about supply and demand.

As the youth of the 80's move into money, generally they will want tr's over BB's. But there are so many to choose from. That said, demand will rise over the next 10 years and supply of <20k mile cars will dwindle.

With the BB, the demand curve has risen somewhat sharply, causing prices to reach $100k. The question is, will the demand curve for tr's rise enough to overcome the relatively large supply? Note, as BB's hover around $100k this will cause some buyers to move to a tr.

I think the tr is the next logical F car to move towards $100k. But there are so many of them, it will put downward pressure on large price increases for the near future.

Just my $0.02.

-F

25. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I think short of having a crystal ball we are all just full of hot air. No one knows when and what people will want. The muscle car insanity is a perfect example - $3M for a hemi cuda ragtop, LMAO!