250 GTE/GTO | FerrariChat

250 GTE/GTO

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by TexasMike, Jun 29, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Mike,

It's pretty, but reproductions are generally not viewed in a positive manner in the vintage section. Especially ones that sacrificed an original car to create.

Regards,

Art S.

2. neilmac

neilmac Formula 3

Apr 18, 2005
    Oakville, Ont.
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Is that Frank Beard's car?

Opinions will run the gamut from 'why did they ruin a perfectly good Ferrari to create this gawdawful mess' (with which I agree) to the other end, 'it's his car, he can do what he wants, looks like the workmanship is fine, leave him alone'.

Neil

3. Anteriore

Anteriore Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Ramon
    Personally, I feel sorry for the original car. I have never understood why someone would want to turn an original car into something it never was, particularly into something that never existed in the first place (GTO Spyder), like this one.

4. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    LOL!
    Maybe I'll post a link to it in the showroom section too then. :)

5. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    I only know the current owner who just bought the car the way it is and that's not who you mentioned.

6. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    BTW, I do realize this and that's why I posted it and asked the question the way I did.
    I want to know peoples personal opinions about the car. I know some will hate it and some will love it, but this owner surely didn't buy it because of what others would think. He has quite the stable and this is just another toy.

7. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I think it would be a lot of fun to drive. its a lot better looking than a GTE & probably a lot more fun since its a roadster

There are plenty of historic Ferraris that were rebodied by Drogo, or Zagato, or Michelotto. Like the Breadvan or the NART spyders that are accepted as true Ferraris. I dont see why this 1 shouldnt be accepted as a true Ferrari since the workmanship is probably better than anything on the original GTE

8. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    A hideous, absurd, and destructive monstruosity.

Cheers,

Julio

9. cbreed

cbreed Formula Junior

May 10, 2005
    Jonestown, Tx
    Full Name:
    Charles
    maybe build a straight GTO copycat, but a Spyder? WTF? I feel sorry for the guy who bought it. I bet he knows nothing of Ferrari's and drives to a Ferrari event and everyone laughs at him.

What did he pay for the car?

10. vur

vur Karting

May 9, 2006
    Full Name:
    Vur
    lets see thats shaken stirred chopped and fried....extra crispy (some like it fried)

its a figment...of someones imagination..

same discussion - its the same as a frank lloyd wright building being remodelled for modern living - wright or rong?

to each his own i say

11. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    You couldn't be more wrong. He's a challenge car driver and he owns several Ferraris and other awesome exotics as well.

Making comments on the car is one thing but making comments about the owner who you know nothing about is another.

12. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    It's a beautiful car that looks very well made. The purists may frown but then they don't have to ride in it. But there were no pictures under the hood. And the engine is a ????? If it's a Chevy or Ford under the hood, it really doesn't have the right to drive around with a Ferrari emblem. Even if it's a fantasy creation of a car that never existed (a GTO spyder), it should AT LEAST have a Ferrari V12 under the hood if it has a Ferrari emblem on the car. I will gladly pay $7500 for the car even if it has a Chevy 350 under the hood.

13. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    It was a 250 GTE so it has the same engine. I was lucky to take a peak at the car during the shops lunch break. The owner of the shop was busy and the other guys were out to lunch so I didn't get to see under the hood. I will once the owner of the car brings it to one of the events.

The owner of the car is an FChatter and he knows a lot about cars. I'm sure to him this is similar to his Factory 5 Cobra, those aren't real Cobras but they are cool anyways. Some may call it a kit car, but it's fun as hell to drive.

This car will share garage space with a 348ts, a 550 Maranello, a F355 Challenge, a Ford GT, a Porsche GT3, a Factory 5 Cobra and most likely a Carerra GT and an F40 in the near future.

14. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I don't think it looks good. I've always preferred the coupe versions to cabrios. F50 with hardtop looks better than with the roof off imo. 550 Barchetta vs. Maranello same thing. 575M and 575SA same. The 250 GTE/O with the roof off even looks worse. Doesn't look right at all. One of the reaons I love the GTO look is because of the rear 1/2 of the car's shape. I like how the roof comes down to the fender and decklid. This cabrio just ruined the best part.

I was supposed to see this car at the Celebration of Exotic Cars back in April along with the Ford GT vert, but neither made it down for one reason or another.

15. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    LOL! That would be funny if the person I know bought that Ford GT vert as well. He was considering cutting the roof off of his brand new Ford GT.

BTW, I'm the same way... I always prefer coupes over cabrios with any car. I have never seen a 250 GTO in person, so I don't know how this compares. Pics aren't the same as seeing cars in person, I've learned that over the years. That said, this really is a beautiful car in person and imo Ferrari should have created it.

16. kvisser

kvisser Formula 3

Dec 11, 2004
    Damascus, MD
    Full Name:
    Ken Visser
    The car looks well made but i agree with the above. The 250 GTO to me is the most beautiful car ever built. And its the top and the rear flanks are what bring the design home. The loss of the roof line detracts from the overall look. On the other hand, it is alot sexier than a 250 GTE and rather more unique. As a driver, I bet its a touch flexible but lots of fun to play with. I also bet that you really get to hear that exhaust note to a greater degree.

ken

17. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    I love your Dino! That's an awesome color on both of your cars in your profile pic.

18. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    Looks great (is it the ex Frank Beard car?) don't see what the problem is taking an existing series Ferrari and creating a one off body, it's been done hundreds of times before and seems to be something that's coming into vogue again with the newer cars

19. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    #20 JSinNOLA, Jun 29, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  20. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    It looks nice, I'm sure the owner enjoys it.

I'm personally not a big fan of the NART decal or the shields.

21. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    Please excuse my ignorance, but I don't know who Frank Beard is. The shop owner (Speedmore on FChat) just told me about the car at lunch last Saturday and I asked if I could come by and see it. I know the owner but I haven't talked to him about the car and I hardly ever see him. I'll ask next time I see him.

22. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    Knowing this guy, he'll really take it out and track it. He's into the racing stuff.

23. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    He's the drummer in ZZ Top (the one without the beard!) IIRC he had a similar car

24. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    LOL! Well isn't that ironic...